grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

Anyway Ant-Man will probably earn at least 155 million by the end of it's run, Pixels will have terrible legs and do between 65-70 million total, Minions is dying quicker than the plague but should do at least 325 million, Trainwreck will do around 100 million or so, Southpaw is doing better than I expected a total around 45 million seems decent, Paper Towns is doing poorly and it even opened less than If I Stay which is quite embarrassing and will probably do between 25-35 million considering it's front-loaded performance, and good news that Jurassic World and Inside Out are still doing strong.

• Like 2

I remember that with The Hunger Games. It's a movie they have to put certain things in and certain things out because of budget constraints, and plus they go scene repeating all of the dialogue and scenes from the book because they will be accused of plagiarism and a possible lawsuit from the author.

Authors get paid for the books to be adapted (unless they've been dead for like 100 year and copyright runs out) so plagiarism is not an issue.

But the same complaints happened with every Potter - need more Quidditch - and those movies were already 5 hours long (or felt like it)

Edited by TalismanRing

I remember that with The Hunger Games. It's a movie they have to put certain things in and certain things out because of budget constraints, and plus they go scene repeating all of the dialogue and scenes from the book because they will be accused of plagiarism and a possible lawsuit from the author.

Huh? If they're adapting a book, they have full rights to do whatever they want, whether it be to copy every line of dialogue verbatim or not.

• Like 4

just like how aou was in between im3 and ta's grosses cw will be in between tws and im3's grosses

iNQ5iG8xzziuZ.gif

Man, a 150 million dollar range, really going out on a limb there with a prediction.

• Like 1

Huh? If they're adapting a book, they have full rights to do whatever they want, whether it be to copy every line of dialogue verbatim or not.

Shut it Tele

I need my novels adapted directly

How dare they cut Dobby from Goblet of Fire  :angry:

• Like 5

You do realize that 2012 is the only year they've one to date?

They won the last 3 summers. Maybe thats what he means.

And only lost the last 2 years domestically by a smidge. Jurassic World's bitchslapping is the biggest loss they've ever had(not counting years before 2012)

Edited by Eddy BRUSIER Hayes

give the fanboys what they want , even if its a costume/character/plot device/etc/ can be the difference between good wom or not , geeks spend a crazy amount of time on something when they really like it so don't sneeze at them if that  unnecessary plot element has more meaning to them than you 

nah

Edited by Eddy BRUSIER Hayes

I so want to see a Luis exposition in IW featuring Hulk.

I'd like just one more Luis exposition so it doesn't get stale...and it would be of the old and new Avengers telling each other shit with cameo by Whedon. That would be bloody amazing and that's really all they need.

• Like 1

You truly think it won't??? I think it's great WB/DC have finally had a fire lighted underneath their ass to get there team up movies going and all courtesy of MARVEL and TA, but don't underestimate MARVEL and how big CIVIL WAR is going to be just because people are anticipating BvsS..

Couldn't care less about BvS. Marvel has peaked. The question now is how much of their audience they can retain. A gross of $442m is required to reach the Top 10 now. Difficult to do. I could see it making $350-400m but not much more than that.

Really near catastrophic for Paper Towns. I know the budget is low so it saves a LITTLE face but man, I was being conservative in expecting a 22 million opening, but even I didn't think it could go that low. The frontloadedness of it all is just shocking, regardless of the fan base. I don't know if this is enough to put Looking for Alaska on hold but I think at the very least they keep the budget for it under 10 million and don't make an option on An Abundance of Katherines. Also shows what a true perfect storm FIOS was.

I saw Paper Towns yesterday and I actually liked it more than the book (which left a really sour taste in my mouth). But Southpaw, DAMN. I was not expecting to love it the way I did. Gyllenhall is truly a force to be reckoned with right now. Glad to see it over performing.

Problem is they should have never adapted paper towns, nevertheless expected that they could just not market it (like they did with TFIOS)

Looking For Alaska is near TFIOS popularity, and it actually can appeal to more than just Tweens. If they actually market it a little it can be a breakout hit.

• Like 1

Shut it Tele

I need my novels adapted directly

How dare they cut Dobby from Goblet of Fire :angry:

Oh god, I remember when we all thought Goblet was OBVIOUSLY going to need to be split into two movies. In fact, I swear some diehards were complaining that ALL of the books from GOF forward should have been split. 11 Potter movies in the same span of time would have caused serious franchise fatigue. Edited by TServo2049

Oh god, I remember when we all thought Goblet was OBVIOUSLY going to need to be split into two movies. In fact, I swear the diehards were complaining that ALL of the books from GOF forward should have been split. 11 Potter movies would have caused serious franchise fatigue.

They should turn Harry Potter into a GoT like mini-series. Split GoF, HBP, and DH into 2 seasons each, the rest can be one season.

Going to Paper Towns in a few minutes. I'll be back in a few hours saying either "that movie deserves more money" or "whatever. mediocre weekend."

Hopefully the former :D

Tell us what it's like to have an entire cinema screen for yourself.

They should turn Harry Potter into a GoT like mini-series. Split GoF, HBP, and DH into 2 seasons each, the rest can be one season.

I've heard this, I think it's dumb. Potter should never be rebooted. Daniel, Rupert and Emma ARE Harry, Ron and Hermione. And I can't ever see anyone other than Alan Rickman as Snape. Everyone in that cast defined the characters for the screen.

And I'm not even a hardcore fan.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

No one can argue that Paper Towns did well when even the head of Fox distribution said he was "Mystified".

“I’m really somewhat mystified,” said Chris Aronson, domestic distribution chief at Fox. “It’s something we’re going to have to look at and review on a post-mortem basis and find out why we didn’t get more people in.”

Because of an unlikable leading actress, that's why.