AniNate

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle | December 22 2017 | Special showings for Amazon Prime members on December 8

5 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I guess Jumanji's christmas success can also be chalked up to the timeless appeal of Chris Van Allsburg's children book.

By the way, Chris Van Allsburg's art is incredible. I know there has been a Jumanji cartoon back in the day but his original illustrations would be worthy of an animated movie (using Disney's short Paperman technique) that doesn't feature a creepy CG Tom Hanks:

maxresdefault.jpg

the-house-on-maple-street.jpg

94f374d7b9a52ebbac66c3eb2e84f900--pencil

2e05736c33bf63fc7fd8f4338aa4c000--book-i

I remember reading Polar Express all the time as a kid because of how gorgeous the illustrations were. It was like an actual painting you would find in an art museum. Everything about it oozed the feeling and wonder of Christmas. Still up there as one of my favorite picture books of all time.

That fucking Zemeckis movie. :angry:

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure 90% of the people who saw this have no knowledge of the book; just a vague familiarity with the 90s movie and the trailer looked like something with enough light-hearted spectacle for kids to enjoy.

I still doubt the short-term franchise potential of Jumanji. The original was a hit as well and they still didn't really rush to make a sequel to it. There's a limit to what you can do with a John Hughes comedy / prehistoric fantasy adventure mashup and still keep the dough rolling in.  

Edited by tribefan695

27 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I still doubt the short-term franchise potential of Jumanji. The original was a hit as well and they still didn't really rush to make a sequel to it. There's a limit to what you can do with a John Hughes comedy / prehistoric fantasy adventure mashup and still keep the dough rolling in.  

I think they can do one more sequel, maybe crossing the original film's characters like Dunst and Hunt with the newer characters but after doing a board game and a video game, I wonder what the new spin of Jumanji could be, virtual reality? 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think they can do one more sequel, maybe crossing the original film's characters like Dunst and Hunt with the newer characters but after doing a board game and a video game, I wonder what the new spin of Jumanji could be, virtual reality? 

I think it’ll be an app with the possibility of Jumanji upping it up a notch by adding fictional creatures to make the game more challenging.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think it’ll be an app with the possibility of Jumanji upping it up a notch by adding fictional creatures to make the game more challenging.

Virtual Reality to me is the middle ground of both concepts of the game coming to life which I think it's a possible idea. 

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

I’m not sure what avenues they have to explore in a sequel without it feeling like a pointless rehash.

Now, I thought the exact same thing when they announced this movie.  But still.

Jumanji 3 could be about apps maybe, or VR

Just now, 75Live said:

Jumanji 3 could be about apps maybe, or VR

Still not sure how apps or VR really does anything that this one didn’t really cover.  They’re both still video games and this avatar image thing was practically VR.

1 minute ago, New Year New Panda said:

Still not sure how apps or VR really does anything that this one didn’t really cover.  They’re both still video games and this avatar image thing was practically VR.

oh I agree, it's just the next possible step I think they would take, if they try a part 3.

Interesting #3 could be if the game world tried to merge with the real world...and the avatars and our human heroes had to force the game back to where it came from (so the human heroes eventually "take control" of these avatars as they roam the real world after finding each of them somewhere...and our friendly guide gets a "cameo" to again tell us how to fix this:)...

PS = Sony can pay me for this idea, b/c it lets them bring everyone back...and I'm sure they are dying to do it:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1