AniNate

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle | December 22 2017 | Special showings for Amazon Prime members on December 8

Just now, stuart360 said:

Why is this doing so well?. The trailers looked bad, reviws suck, and the premise looked awful compared to the orig film (plus Robin Williams replaced by b list actors).

because literally none of that is true :P

i don't care about reviews but it's at 77 and fresh on RT so the reviews don't suck even.

I get you may not have thought it looked good, but obviously other people did and even more so after they saw it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 75Live said:

because literally none of that is true :P

i don't care about reviews but it's at 77 and fresh on RT so the reviews don't suck even.

I get you may not have thought it looked good, but obviously other people did and even more so after they saw it

So you're not surprised at all by how well its douing box office wise?.

Yeah i was wrong about the reviews, i only read a couple and they were both negative, i should of checked Rotten Toms first.

Just now, stuart360 said:

Yeah i was wrong about the reviews, i only read a couple and they were both negative, i should of checked Rotten Toms first.

I didn't say I wasn't surprised.  I knew it would do well, not this well obviously.  

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Yeah, you should have.

• Like 5

Finally got a chance to watch this film today. Can understand why it's been doing so well now. Definitely one of the most entertaining films I've seen in the past 12 months (can't really use "this year" seeing as it's only 9 days). Forget RDJ as Iron Man or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine the perfect casting is Jack Black as a teenage girl. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

Still not sure how apps or VR really does anything that this one didn’t really cover.  They’re both still video games and this avatar image thing was practically VR.

Premise: Jumanji transforms itself into an app. It becomes a huge bestseller, and everyone downloads it. It starts out completely normal without anyone being sucked in. The kids from the last movie learn about the app, and try to warn people about what it could do. Nobody listens, and it's too late, and the all the people with the app get sucked into Jumanji. Therefore, it's up to the kids from the last movie to turn back into their avatars and save the day.

There's two ways you can do this: The first, more likely way, would be to have the people from the real world turn into their own unique avatars. This allows more starpower like Channing Tatum or Emma Stone to join the party.

The other, and the more fun one, would be having the real world people turn into one of the four avatars from the last movie. Having one Johnson, Hart, and Black in a movie was already great. But having hundreds, thousands, millions of Johnsons, Harts, and Blacks running around the jungle, each with unique personalities and tropes, will be an easy sell to put in all of the advertising.

Of course, if Johnson's too busy with filming other movies and preparing his presidential campaign, they'll probably go for the first option, and have the kid who turned into Johnson have some subplot with the remaining denizens on Earth.

• Like 2

Not movie related : VR and gesture recognition would be great for a real Jumanji game. Say 4 people wear VR goggles and are in the same virtual world. Depending on the virtual dice rolled the environment of the players gets modified. Some real estate will be needed as the 4 players moving on separate conveyor belts limits their movements a lot and makes co-ordination tough, while it's not possible to share a conveyor belt.

Finally saw it and kicking myself for not seeing it sooner.

What a great movie!   It succeeds at everything it wants to do.   The cast was perfect.   As someone mentioned, Jack Black's best role is as a teennaged girl!  (I don't normally like Black that much)   Kevin Hart made me laugh so many times I lost count.   Dude has a gift.   Karen Gillan was so hot it distracted me a little but she was awesome too.   I'll bet some under appreciate some of the things she did.   The Rock is a charisma bomb as always.

Up there with Thor 3 in mixing action and laughs.   And there are a couple of emotional moments in the end that might have you choking back a tear or two.

I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

• Like 3

On 08/01/2018 at 11:16 PM, The Futurist said:

Still, it was so video game-y.

It's more of a deconstruction of video game tropes*, which helped it escape the whole "Feels like watching somebody else playing a video game" criticism that video game films usually get. 

*I loved it when that first "cut scene" just awkwardly started to play.

Why is there no way of betting money on movies' BO, or "buying movie shares"?? :( Fuck, the Shay would have been even richer now.

Movie here is mediocre - but I totally predicted (in a post here 3 months ago) how much it was gonna smash, giving even ugly Episode 8 a run for its money.

Edited by shayhiri

Don't really care too much for the SW hate and the incessant arguing. Just posting this for any others who came here from BOM for #s. Funny tidbit, last time I did this, I was only fractions off Spiderman 3 box office after the OW....by fractions I meant off by 215 million. haha

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KfZlwKwV9rYOCwSINUOHwwY69SRlq6mf/view?usp=sharing

If anyone can embed the jpeg onto the post for easier viewing, that would be great!  

Edited by boxofficefreak
ATTACHMENTS