CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

they wont release it many countries. Probably UK, Austrailia, a few places in Europe/Africa and that'll be it. 

I guess Universal knows it's mostly going to make money domestically and considering it on course to outgross its budget, overseas is really an afterthought.

That is what I am waiting to hear. Isn't Sony the company that got pitched a Destiny's Child film by Beyonce's father? They are certainly about to try to get that back up and going.   

Would a Destiny's Child film happen with Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle still around. If Matthew Knowles pitched it, it's going to very bias towards Beyonce.

That is what I am waiting to hear. Isn't Sony the company that got pitched a Destiny's Child film by Beyonce's father? They are certainly about to try to get that back up and going.   

Yep that was Sony. BTW Destiny's Childs story is super boring (they got their kids in the industry, from then on its pretty much the standard fare). And Beyonce Hates her dad apparently, so I just dont see that movie happening.

Edited by AJG

Very happy for "SOC" preview number.  "Notorious" also did pretty well for it's budget.  Hope it does great and opens the door for the Tupac film and many more Hip Hop Bio Pictures.  Hip Hop Music and Culture has influenced America Culture.  It has really crossed racial lines.   A lot of young people seeing the movie did not grow up on N.W.A. but they know Ice Cube from the movies and Dr Dre cause of his production with the likes of Eminem, 50 Cent and The Game and Kendrick Lamer.  Speaking of Em and 50 Cent, the films "8 Mile" and "Get Rich or Die Trying" don't count as Hip Hop Bio pics even though Eminem and 50 Cent were basically playing themselves.  Can't wait to see the movie.  Love F. Gary Gray since "Friday" over 20 years ago and the music videos he directed. 

• Like 1

Destiny's Child wouldn't make a good biopic. No one else besides Beyonce became a star or had an identity. The main drama was switching the line-up a few times and Beyonce's dad being a cheating bastard.

If anything TLC deserved the big-screen treatment; they had better music and life stories. 

Tupac had a great documentary called Tupac; Resurrection so im not sure a biopic is needed. It really has to be done right because he is such an icon. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 5

A Destiny's child/Beyonce movie would suck. It would be a dull affair.

They need to do a Whitney Houston Biopic, that story is incredible, but I doubt the family would be ok with it in all honesty.

I guess Universal knows it's mostly going to make money domestically and considering it on course to outgross its budget, overseas is really an afterthought.

Would a Destiny's Child film happen with Beyonce, Kelly and Michelle still around. If Matthew Knowles pitched it, it's going to very bias towards Beyonce.

I think that it would work. The casting of Beyonce would be under a ton of scrutiny though. I also do not think that it is going to be bias towards Beyonce if Matthew Knowles is on it. She has disavowed him for a few years now.  

Congrats Universal for once again showing how's it's done!!

FF7, Minions, JW and now Compton - all blew expectations out of the water!

Their success this year needs to be really studied - far more than just 'luck' or franchise power. There's way more to it.

EDIT: and PP2 too, forgot about that one too! Their successes are too many to count this year.

Also, Fifty Shades of Grey. The movie made over 14x it's budget worldwide (4.15x domestically), which is nothing to scoff at

Destiny's Child wouldn't make a good biopic. No one else besides Beyonce became a star or had an identity. The main drama was switching the line-up a few times and Beyonce's dad being a cheating bastard.

If anything TLC deserved the big-screen treatment; they had better music and life stories. 

That TLC  TV-movie was boring as hell. They're not really that interesting, they have their problems but its not anything that needs to be covered on the big screen.

Whitney biopic would be interesting but they would never allow them to tell the ugly truth it would be very whitewashed. A Beyonce movie would only work if they got behind the  'perfect' image she likes to keep. A biopic only works if there is real conflict, struggle and a strong social connection.

Personally, I don't even like biopics, the only reason SoC interests me is because of the social awareness NWA had and its relevence to today.

• Like 1

That TLC  TV-movie was boring as hell. They're not really that interesting, they have their problems but its not anything that needs to be covered on the big screen.

Totally subjective. Everyone has a different opinion about what movies should or shouldn't be made. 

Edited by babz06

Very happy for "SOC" preview number.  "Notorious" also did pretty well for it's budget.  Hope it does great and opens the door for the Tupac film and many more Hip Hop Bio Pictures.  Hip Hop Music and Culture has influenced America Culture.  It has really crossed racial lines.   A lot of young people seeing the movie did not grow up on N.W.A. but they know Ice Cube from the movies and Dr Dre cause of his production with the likes of Eminem, 50 Cent and The Game and Kendrick Lamer.  Speaking of Em and 50 Cent, the films "8 Mile" and "Get Rich or Die Trying" don't count as Hip Hop Bio pics even though Eminem and 50 Cent were basically playing themselves.  Can't wait to see the movie.  Love F. Gary Gray since "Friday" over 20 years ago and the music videos he directed. 

I forgot all about that movie. 

Not to be a downer, but is it possible for SOC to do something like 20 mill Friday, but then be so front loaded that it only does something like 45 mill?

• Like 5