CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

It was a better trailer than the first one. Actions looks cool and the dynamic between Tom and Mark seems good. As a huge fan of the game series I was very excited to see some of the set pieces from the game in the trailer. Also very clever to release the trailer soon after Spidey to cash in on Tom Hollands popularity. Going by comments on Youtube people seem more receptive now than they were after the first trailer. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cap said:

Is that a level in the game? Because I can literally feel the push X as you jump coming off the screen?

Watching that really confirms the hurdle that comes from making Uncharted a movie. The whole appeal of the series is how cinematic it is as a game and that you're in control of a big-budget, Indiana Jones-style adventure. When you take away the interactive part, the whole thing's just kind of goofy and unengaging and weird.

That Last of Us HBO show will probably suffer the same fate, though I'm rooting for both to prove me wrong.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Watching that really confirms the hurdle that comes from making Uncharted a movie. The whole appeal of the series is how cinematic it is as a game and that you're in control of a big-budget, Indiana Jones-style adventure. When you take away the interactive part, the whole thing's just kind of goofy and unengaging and weird.

That Last of Us HBO show will probably suffer the same fate, though I'm rooting for both to prove me wrong.

I agree

The story and characters in TLOU 1/2 are great but what makes the games amongst the best of all time is the gameplay imo. Without it TLOU is not the same.

Same goes for Uncharted too. It has great story and characters but its the gameplay that sets it apart. One of the best sequence of any game is the train sequence in the 2nd game. But it just wouldnt be the same if it was just you watching some actor play it out on screen. 

These 2 game series are my top 2 of all time so I hope their respective movie/show is a success but it just wont be the same as actually playing. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cap said:

Is that a level in the game? Because I can literally feel the push X as you jump coming off the screen?

Yup a famous sequence from the 3rd game. Possibly one of the best mission from that game too. The section that follows with Drake roaming in the desert and hallucinating is incredible. The visuals and music in that section is amazing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Nah the storytelling and character interactions of TLOU is good enough to stand on its own. TLOU doesn't really rely on a ton of setpieces, so the novelty isn't really in the interactive film aspect compared to Uncharted. 

I think TLOU2 has awesome gameplay (1 is good but less refined) but the absolute dread and tension can absolutely translate to film/tv. And it can in some ways strengthen the most renowned part of the series which is the interactions between Joel/Ellie since a TV adaptation doesn't need to have as high of an action to dialogue ratio as a game does.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Looks decent, don't get the hate.

Looks cheesy but fun. The vibe seems cool. Not sure about Wahlberg. He can be an acquired taste. I like Holland and this movie is at least trying to be some escapism fun and a little different.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrPink said:

Nah the storytelling and character interactions of TLOU is good enough to stand on its own. TLOU doesn't really rely on a ton of setpieces, so the novelty isn't really in the interactive film aspect compared to Uncharted. 

I think TLOU2 has awesome gameplay (1 is good but less refined) but the absolute dread and tension can absolutely translate to film/tv. And it can in some ways strengthen the most renowned part of the series which is the interactions between Joel/Ellie since a TV adaptation doesn't need to have as high of an action to dialogue ratio as a game does.

Ehh, a big part of the game's appeal is still you controlling Joel and feeling as if you are protecting Ellie and are a part of this journey. I do agree that it's easier to adapt, but I think something is still lost when you lose that personal connection. I do have more faith in TLOU however and can see that one turning out okay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Ehh, a big part of the game's appeal is still you controlling Joel and feeling as if you are protecting Ellie and are a part of this journey. I do agree that it's easier to adapt, but I think something is still lost when you lose that personal connection. I do have more faith in TLOU however and can see that one turning out okay.

To be honest, for me, I never felt like the avatar for Joel and having that aspect of protecting her. Of course, video games is about having some degree of agency but considering all the Let's Plays out there, the number of folks who connected with it despite not playing video games as much, clearly the story itself is speaking to a broad number of people that could make an adaptation successful. And what is lost can also be gained in other aspects...I don't think scrounging around for collectibles and crafting materials will generally be missed in the translation to TV. The tighter storytelling may benefit even, especially for say Part 2.

Edited by MrPink

3 hours ago, MrPink said:

To be honest, for me, I never felt like the avatar for Joel and having that aspect of protecting her. Of course, video games is about having some degree of agency but considering all the Let's Plays out there, the number of folks who connected with it despite not playing video games as much, clearly the story itself is speaking to a broad number of people that could make an adaptation successful. And what is lost can also be gained in other aspects...I don't think scrounging around for collectibles and crafting materials will generally be missed in the translation to TV. The tighter storytelling may benefit even, especially for say Part 2.

The Last of Us Part 2 will be some damn good TV if they do it right. Game wise, don't care what anyone says, it's head and shoulders above the first in every aspect for me. Still love the first one though, but Part 2 really went balls to the wall in story, visuals, sound and gameplay. 

Edited by ando
  • Like 5

I'm neutral on the Last of Us tv adaptation. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than doing Uncharted, but the dramatic effectiveness of the first game is such that I just view it as functionally remaking a classic film - which is usually something people are rightly dubious of. I guess if it connects with viewers who would never play games then fine, I suppose.

• Like 1