grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

The  human stuff in this movie is unbearable. The action is decent but would have been more impressive in 2001, not 2021

Kong Skull Island is far and away the best film in this franchise and if I had to choose another one of the four it would be KOTM

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Gonna see it later today. Yes or no question...the after credits scene of King of the Monsters showed smugglers delivering one of King Ghidorah heads to the terrorist dude. Was that just a scene that went nowhere, or does that factor, in some way, into Godzilla vs Kong?

This is actually a bit complicated to answer

The skull is involved, but the terrorist gang isn't. And we aren't even sure it's the same skull. It's just never explained.

Guys, known actors are universally terrible in GvK type of movies cause they know that nobody watches those movies for them. So they treat it like a paycheck job and just show up to read bad lines from a teleprompter. They don't put all their talent in those no1care roles cause they know audience would rather that they aren't in the movie at all. So it's actually better when they cast unknowns cause those sad sacks hope to launch their careers and actually put a lot of effort. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Guys, known actors are universally terrible in GvK type of movies cause they know that nobody watches those movies for them. So they treat it like a paycheck job and just show up to read bad lines from a teleprompter. They don't put all their talent in those no1care roles cause they know audience would rather that they aren't in the movie at all. So it's actually better when they cast unknowns cause those sad sacks hope to launch their careers and actually put a lot of effort. 

I was actually really impressed with Millie Bobbie Brown in the movie even though I think her scenes should have just been cut altogether. She's really growing and maturing as an actress, and it really showed here.

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is actually a bit complicated to answer

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks. Waiting for the 3D viewing to start in about 30 minutes. AMC doesn't do IMAX 3D anymore...just IMAX flat. 3D is the best option for a sci-fi 3D fest like this 🙂

I got KOTM slightly ahead of Skull Island. Rodan coming out of the volcano and taking flight, to hurricane force winds 🙂...King Ghidorah, MORE Godzilla in the movie this time...

Skull Island comes up a close second, via Samuel L Jackson's villain 😂. The look on his face, as he thought he burned Kong to death 😂

The first Godzilla comes up a distant dead last...the director came up with a brilliant idea of a Godzilla movie without Godzilla IN it 🙂. It's just two monsters fighting, why don't we show something else while that's going on 🙂

That stinker may have dampened anticipation for KOTM.

Edited by OdinSon2k14

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I don't buy that. Samuel L. Jackson was the best part of Skull Island. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I also thought the score was rather generic. Overall, though, it was a very entertaining film. I'd probably rank the Monsterverse something like:

1. GvK

2. Skull Island

3. Godzilla

4. KOTM

The first three are all pretty interchangeable, all quite solid and entertaining films. The 2014 Godzilla is probably the closest to being "great" as the last 2/3 of the film are really excellent filmmaking, but I found the first act pretty awkward and weak. Skull Island is the most consistently entertaining but, other than Kong's excellent intro, is lacking in the "wow" moments of the other films. GvK had a shakier script than those two but has a lot of fun with the material, and the Hollow Earth sequence followed by the final fight in Hong Kong is my favorite sequence of all four films. KOTM is the worst by far with a bad and boring human storyline, though it had enough cool moments that I still enjoyed it. 

Edited by Menor

GvK was the most watched on HBOMAX since the streaming service launched. However, WB stated that a lot of people have watched it more than once, therefore I don’t know how much it will drive the all important subs. Was it watched by people who already had HBOMAX or did people sigh up to watch it?! I guess we’ll find out after the next quarter call. 

Can I say this here? That's the first time I have ever seen Godzilla

get the EVER LIVING CRAP BEAT OUT OF HIM 😂😂. Im not talking Kong either. That thing emerged, and pounded the daylights out of Godzilla 😂.  It gave Godzilla a tour of the city, using his face 😂! He was glad they revived Kong, LOL! Because it woulda killed him! The anti-gravity universe thing was cool!

It's really Kong Skull Island 2, guest staring Godzilla for most of the film, so be prepared for that. People complaining about the human guys, but there was one unhinged fella that kept their scenes funny and interesting 😂

Alright so:

1. GvK

2. KOTM

3. (2.5 really) Skull Island

4. Godzilla 2014

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1

The sizes...I wondered how Kong could be the same size as Godzilla? It more like they...resized Godzilla to Kong's Size. If Kong is able to be

transported via a ship in the water

that means he's still Skull Island size. It's Godzilla that the CGI team re-sized. 

Beautiful job by the CGI teams. This is why I've always wanted Legendary Pictures to do a Thor film 🙂. Marvel does CGI, but theyre a costume and makeup studio at heart.

So the Thor films have been frugal in the effects. They've avoided Thor characters that would be too CGI heavy. You gotta have CGI to bring Thor's world, and monstrous enemies to life. Thor 3 scratched the surface. The giant Surtur swinging his sword out the 3D picture at the end  in Ragnarok was very impressive 🙂.  I was like, these guys are getting it now! But I know in my heart that Legendary would go bonkers with Thor's giant foes, like the Midgard Serpent. Legendary has always been totally on board with CGI, no matter how expensive! 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

I tell you what, the villains may have been crazy, but their plan would have WORKED if

Kong was not revived 😂! Godzilla was taking a ferocious beatdown, and would certainly have been dead! Kong was not gonna beat him solo, so it would have been the new dominant apex of the jungle 😂!

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1

was Godzilla KOTM that bad? I remember thinking it was pretty solid. Sure there were some extraneous characters that should have been cut (Thomas Middleditch, ZIyi Zhang) but for the most part I though the main characters were more likable enough (thought Millie Bobby Brown was better here than in GvK) and the family unit also felt properly connected to the action. Lots of people complained about Vera Farmiga's character but from what I remember her character is supposed to be a loon. Charles Dance brought a nice sinister edge in his brief role. Scenes like the introduction of Ghidorah and Ken Watanabe sacrificing himself to ressurect Godzilla and Godzilla rising with the iconic theme playing stuck with me more than anything in GvK

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

that means he's still Skull Island size. It's Godzilla that the CGI team re-sized. 

There may have been some scaling issues, Godzilla did seem to be sized down just a bit in the first fight. But cargo ships can be quite long. Kong is said to be 102 meters/335 feet and Godzilla 120 meters/393 feet. Kong was “only” 32 meters/104 feet in Skull Island. 

In Skull Island, Brie Larsen’s character is somewhere between the size of Kong’s pointer and middle finger. In GvK, the girl might be a little bigger than his pointer fingernail.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

LMAO, I just found out a part of this was shot on my uni campus. I'm freshman and have never been to campus because of COVID so I didn't know until someone else pointed it out.

I wish the destruction of your campus  would be minimal judging how they destroyed Hong Kong for this film. The casualty in your campus should be minimal too thanks to pandemic that keep people at their home.  

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

was Godzilla KOTM that bad? I remember thinking it was pretty solid. Sure there were some extraneous characters that should have been cut (Thomas Middleditch, ZIyi Zhang) but for the most part I though the main characters were more likable enough (thought Millie Bobby Brown was better here than in GvK) and the family unit also felt properly connected to the action. Lots of people complained about Vera Farmiga's character but from what I remember her character is supposed to be a loon. Charles Dance brought a nice sinister edge in his brief role. Scenes like the introduction of Ghidorah and Ken Watanabe sacrificing himself to ressurect Godzilla and Godzilla rising with the iconic theme playing stuck with me more than anything in GvK

I’m biased because I’m a big Godzilla fanboy but I loved KOTM as well. I really enjoyed GvK as well but it lacked a lot of the little things that I appreciated in the last film. 

Godzilla vs Kong was really fun but probably my third favourite in the series so far. I loved how silly and science fiction-y it got. The fights and visuals were excellent and the Team Kong humans were solid. The humans on the Godzilla side were pretty bad. I liked the conspiracy guy but the kids were annoying as hell. They should’ve focused more on the villains considering the [redacted] pilot was a Serizawa, Ken Watanabe’s characters son. You can tell a lot of the human stuff was cut for time. The Junkie XL score was predictably generic and bland. He didn’t use any themes from the past films and I barely noticed when the music played in the movie. The sound mixing in general was also really flat, it could just be compression from the stream but it lacked any strong bass or ‘oomph’ like the other films have.

Overall though it was still a 7.5-8/10 for me. I can see why this one is clicking with people more, the story is very streamlined and to the point and it’s just dumb fun spectacle.