kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 47.5 M HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA II | 18.2 M THE INTERN | 14.0 M TMR: THE SCORCH TRIALS | 13.1 M EVEREST

Good for The Intern. Love Anne Hathaway.

Sad for Green Inferno. That new release strategy definitely won't be tried again.

BH already assured it will try with 2 more movies even before The Green Inferno opened. They wanted a 4-5M weekend, and in that, the movie and the experiment both failed, tho. 

Edited by CJohn

New release strategy?

Now it's time to talk The Green Inferno, the cannibal horror film from Eli Roth that was delayed a year after some distribution trouble. BH Tilt picked up the rights and boldly experimented with a targeted release in 1,540 theaters. Using a variety of metrics the release depended largely on digital marketing and theaters that were "historically frequented by die-hard horror fans". As a result, the film opened to an estimated $3.49 million.

In an email on Thursday, Tilt said a weekend in the $4-5 million range would be considered successful. While this weekend's estimates come up a bit short, given the subject matter, this seems to prove their marketing strategy worked and it very well could serve as a launching point for a new way of looking at the theatrical release of independent cinema in the future. The question mark for Inferno, budgeted at $5 million, will be the holdover numbers as they clearly managed to find an audience. However, the opening day audience didn't seem entirely impressed as the film earned a "C-" CinemaScore, which doesn't exactly bode well for its future prospects.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4108&p=.htm

• Like 1

That's such a disappointing number for EVEREST.. They should've hired Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich to do the movie.. This should've done SAN ANDREAS type of numbers and opening.. This almost feels like a WWW Thread in the making, but I won't..

No they shouldn't have, otherwise it would have been a bad movie.

It was never going to do San Andreas numbers, but I am disappointed in the expansion, I expected more.

• Like 2

Isn't that a bad number for scorch? I thought it would of been higher.

It is a disappointing result. 

It's holding as expected. I'm really curious how the third movie will do since it's in 2017 and more time will have passed.

I feel FOX needs to start re-thinking their strategy tbh. I am not sure if a 1 year and a half wait until the final movie is gonna make any good. 

I hate boxoffice.com for predicting Everest to make 27m and then it turns out it doesn't even make half of that.

Its funny, their long-term predict for the weekend was 21 or so, and then Wed night they bumped it up to 27. Oops.

Woooweee that Sicario PTA! Just saw it and what an intense ride! I kinda had issues with how you're with Emily Blunt for 80% of the movie and then in the last 20% it stops being her story and shifts to Benecio del Toro's. I mean Benicio kills (Oscar nomination basically guaranteed) it but it felt like we spent so much time with this girl for no reason.

Too bad The Martian will steal away adult males next week. 

So I had an extra long shift for the matinee and I had some free time so I went through our records, which only date back a year.

Jurassic World had the largest OW here by a wide margin (over 20% higher than #2). Second place was Minions, which was practically neck and neck with Age Of Ultron which was third place with only 20 tickets difference.

As for animated movies, HT2 actually had the second highest OW since last October (second to minions obviously). It outsold SpongeBob, Home by a wide margin, and also squeaked ahead of Inside Out and Big Hero 6 for opening weekend.

• Like 3

This month really ended up being just another September aside from HT2's big opening. Really disappointing considering all the potential MR2, BM, and Everest looked like they had going into the month. Can't believe not one of those 3 really broke out. They all kind of under-performed or didn't do anything too exciting. I guess this will remain the worst month of the year to release movies for the time being.

It wasn't that bad.