kayumanggi

FINDING DORY | 542.3 M overseas ● 1028.6 M worldwide

The most disturbing here is China, how such a big market could give it less than 40m? It's completely crazy, and so disappointing.

At least this week Japan and Mexico will boost it considerably and that will be more entertaining to follow the OS run.

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The most disturbing here is China, how such a big market could give it less than 40m? It's completely crazy, and so disappointing.

At least this week Japan and Mexico will boost it considerably and that will be more entertaining to follow the OS run.

Pixar being small in China is not a novelty. I did not expect much more from there. In fact, Dory has set a new record for a Pixar film.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, peludo said:

Pixar being small in China is not a novelty. I did not expect much more from there. In fact, Dory has set a new record for a Pixar film.

And that's weird, Pixar should benefit from being part of Disney and from Disney's marketing clout.

If Dory can't be at least decent there that means that's unlikely to change until Toy Story 4.

A success will happen in China eventually, just look at what happened in South Korea ;)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 4:24 AM, Fullbuster said:

And that's weird, Pixar should benefit from being part of Disney and from Disney's marketing clout.

If Dory can't be at least decent there that means that's unlikely to change until Toy Story 4.

A success will happen in China eventually, just look at what happened in South Korea ;)

I think the reason why Pixar has been having trouble in China is that pre-2010 the Chinese market was substantially smaller than it is now, and post-2010 they've had a lot of sequels where not many people in China saw the predecessor. Inside Out is an important exception, but I think the problem there is that Inside Out isn't as relatable for Asian audiences.

Because it's another sequel film, I don't think Toy Story 4 will be Pixar's breakout in China.

Just now, edroger3 said:

Japanese OD looks like 2,6-2,8M$. 

Oooh. It's definitely not passing Zootopia's total. It would need a 11x multiplier from its two-day opening. Not common for a sequel.

I think the Japanese audience views Dory as a kiddy movie, judging by evening sales. The same went for Zootopia at first, but it changed later on its run because of WOM for the original movie. I don't think people's perspectives on Dory are going to change.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think the reason why Pixar has been having trouble in China is that pre-2010 the Chinese market was substantially smaller than it is now, and post-2010 they've had a lot of sequels where not many people in China saw the predecessor. Inside Out is an important exception, but I think the problem there is that Inside Out isn't as relatable for Asian audiences.

Because it's another sequel film, I don't think Toy Story 4 will be Pixar's breakout in China.

Marvel toys in TS4 could excite them :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It's quite easy to find subtitled versions of the previous movies on Chinese websites. Besides, neither Zootopia, Frozen, Big Hero 6 or the Croods were sequels and all of them made considerably more than any Pixar movie. Heck, Home made more than most Pixar movies.

I think that Chinese audiences simply find Pixar movies too slow-paced and maybe too emotionally manipulative.

2 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

It's quite easy to find subtitled versions of the previous movies on Chinese websites. Besides, neither Zootopia, Frozen, Big Hero 6 or the Croods were sequels and all of them made considerably more than any Pixar movie. Heck, Home made more than most Pixar movies.

I think that Chinese audiences simply find Pixar movies too slow-paced and maybe too emotionally manipulative.

That's exactly the point I'm making, that films like Zootopia and Frozen have an advantage by being original films instead of sequels.

I haven't done any math on it to see if there's a significant pattern, but I've noticed quite a few examples in international markets where sequels to films that either didn't receive a theatrical release or had low attendance for reasons of a smaller market at that time seem to do more poorly than original films.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

That's exactly the point I'm making, that films like Zootopia and Frozen have an advantage by being original films instead of sequels.

I haven't done any math on it to see if there's a significant pattern, but I've noticed quite a few examples in international markets where sequels to films that either didn't receive a theatrical release or had low attendance for reasons of a smaller market at that time seem to do more poorly than original films.

But the biggest Hollywood release in China, FF7, is a sequel in a franchise that began in 2001 before China became a significant market.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

In fairness, The Fast franchise got inexplicably bigger in every market.

But it isn't just that franchise, TDKR made more than any Pixar release despite TDK not releasing and being a 2012 release. Ice Age started in 2002, and the Fourth one made much more than Dory back in 2012.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tower said:

But it isn't just that franchise, TDKR made more than any Pixar release despite TDK not releasing and being a 2012 release. Ice Age started in 2002, and the Fourth one made much more than Dory back in 2012.

Well, I was considering taking a closer look, but I think I'm satisfied that there's probably no general trend regarding sequels. Thanks. :D

Edited by Jason