Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

No clue how that line is atrocious. It doesn't try to be Shakespearean like Lucas did with the prequels and gets straight to the point. Maybe the timing was wrong but I didn't mind that.

But this is the thing. We won't know whether the themes landed for most people or not. Star Wars fans screeching on the internet isn't most people. All I know is that it landed for me and most critics.

TLJ had people screeching at Christmas and year end dinner parties and Holidays in 2017 buddy lol I cant recall a blockbuster film with my friends and family that instilled such a passionate discussion for and against.

My point is, I think its quite dismissive to suggest that the divisive nature of the film is only known by a small % online. 

I think anyone that pays any sort of attention to SW knows TLJ got a very mixed reception from the SW fan base. 

It reminds me of how people suggested that very few people even know what Rotten Tomatoes on here is and how it would not really impact BvS. Instead it became a very famous meme of sad Ben Affleck in 2016 and the film got defined by the Rotten Tomato score to many. 

However this discussion is endless, either people think TLJ has ruined SW or that it will have no effect. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

So, how about TLJ?

Rewatched it for the first time yesterday to open my movie year.

Reading through some comments at IGN (I know, a mistake) for their 2019 box office predictions, it seems the hardcore gamer crowd has turned against SW to an astonishing degree. Ranting about TLJ was the main theme, for an article talking about every upcoming blockbuster.

But I doubt they are representative of the GA, even if they will claim "victory" if Ep IX merely suffers a decline typical for a sequel.

Edited by MrGlass2

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But I doubt they are representative of the GA, even if they will claim "victory" if Ep IX merely suffers a decline typical for a sequel.

I don't have too much vested interest in this, but if IX DOES drop, would it not signal that (some) people have deserted the franchise? Both the original and prequel trilogies saw a spike with the finale effect. And yes, I know we live in a world where SW has turned into a yearly thing instead of a true event, but still, it IS the end of this new trilogy, you'd expect at least a small increase, no?

Edited by reddevil19

59 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Reading through some comments at IGN (I know, a mistake) for their 2019 box office predictions, it seems the hardcore gamer crowd has turned against SW to an astonishing degree. Ranting about TLJ was the main theme, for an article talking about every upcoming blockbuster.

There is nothing more alluring in this world than:

- Groupthink that's masked as individualism.

- Simultaneously pretending that everyone who doesn't agree with you is both involved in some massive dangerous conspiracy and also somehow easily dismissed/defeated.

Faux-objectivism and a regression into modernist thinking caused by bad debate in a lot of pop-culture and mainstream mediums seems (and I emphasise SEEMS) to have triggered a certain part of the online gaming community into this dynamic.

Or to put it another way: once you have got people to accuse individuals who work for the multinational conglomerate Disney Company as "Marxist", there is barely a leap of logic those people are now not capable of making. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

I don't have too much vested interest in this, but if IX DOES drop, would it not signal that (some) people have deserted the franchise? Both the original and prequel trilogies saw a spike with the finale effect. And yes, I know we live in a world where SW has turned into a yearly thing instead of a true event, but still, it IS the end of this new trilogy, you'd expect at least a small increase, no?

Oh who gives a shit if SW loses an audience nobody wants.

Domestic:

2015 Fandango survey for most anticipated movie: #1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Opened #1 and finished #1 at the box office for 2015.

2016 Fandango survey for most anticipated movie: #1 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Opened #3 and finished #1 at the box office for 2016.

2017 Fandango survey for most anticipated movie: #1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Opened #1 and finished #1 at the box office for 2017.

2018 Fandango survey for most anticipated movie: #5 Solo: A Star Wars Story. Opened #6 and finished #10 at the box office for 2018 unless something else sneaks in and bumps it out of the Top 10.

2019 Fandango survey for most anticipated movie: #3 Star Wars: Episode IX.

2019 Atom Tickets survey for most anticipated movie: #6 Star Wars: Episode IX.

2019 IMDb most anticipated movie: Star Wars: Episode IX did not chart unlike Avengers: Endgame and Captain Marvel at the top (a bunch of other movies that did make that list certainly won't be in the Top 10 in 2019, but it's still probably a better sign to be topping it than off it.)

As the marketing for Episode IX finally starts, I'll be keeping an eye on what level of search traffic the Star Wars term gets up to and sustains this time around.

As for the IGN article, I think the numbers there have been overestimated in the aggregate.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Oh who gives a shit if SW loses an audience nobody wants.

Well, for starters, you assume that any people deciding to skip IX are insane, right wing, sexist ass holes. There could very well be a lot of people that have simply seen the franchise fizzle and lost interest. Casual fans that came for VII due to the hype and stuck around to see VIII. I can particularly see that happening overseas. 

Secondly, if the drop is signioenough, even with Disney making huge money, they could very well look at it as a missed opportunity and change future plans for the franchise. So that could be the effect... 

Not saying any of the above will come to pass, nor would I care much one way or the other, but maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive... 

Just now, Ozymandias said:

giphy.gif

Game of Thrones was great to start with but we're left with two terrible actors as the main characters and it's honestly lost it's hype for me. This is one of the best tv shows we're talking about by the way, let's forget the mountain of garbage the GoT sits on top of.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Game of Thrones was great to start with but we're left with two terrible actors as the main characters and it's honestly lost it's hype for me. This is one of the best tv shows we're talking about by the way, let's forget the mountain of garbage the GoT sits on top of.

It is true Game of Thrones isn't quite as elegant as it used to be(probably because George RR Martin's fatass can't finish the books), but its still miles ahead of most of the crap Hollywood cranks out into cinemas every year now.  And Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington aren't the best actors, but they're better in those roles than Sam Woodington will ever be in anything. :bop: And I'm mostly watching still for Westero's baddest bitch, Lena Headey's Cersei Lannister.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Cersei is the best GoT character. I mean I am kinda sorry if you can't see at this point...

its because Lena Headey is a really great actress.  That scene at the end of Season 7 where reveals her plans to and Jaimie leaves her magical.001.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

can't remember but does Cersei still have wildfire left or did she use all of it to kill the High Sparrow and everyone else at the that temple?

Unknown.

One fan theory for the books is that she will accidentially (or intentionally) burn King's Landing to the ground with wildfire