Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's impossible to top Zack Snyder in anything

Yeah, he excels at half assed themes and poor character development.

Synder pre Sucker Punch is infinitely better  Synder post Sucker Punch

• Haha 1

Ken Loach is known and well liked enough in britain but his films have never crossed over stateside (like i'm sure we won't see a self-pitying james gunn instagram post about this cos he's probably never seen a Loach film). doesn't surprise me because they're very british not in a wanky the crown/downton abbey way but actually british. but yeah his films like Cathy Come Home and I, Daniel Blake have actually impacted and shaped british politics. it's a bit ridiculous to do the "lol he hate us coz he ain't us he's just jealous" routine with him. it's not what he's after with filmmaking. asking him about marvel movies is like asking dracula about garlic bread.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dr. Strange is like the epitome of boring 

If you told me this at the start of the year I would have agreed with you but after rewatching it, I realised how much I missed. I loved how the film was embedded in spirituality and religion and explored death and the beauty of life. Even the seemingly mediocre villain is part of what gives the movie its substance. Honestly, everyone who didn't like the movie the first time should rewatch it. It's probably the most rewarding movie to rewatch out of any MCU film.

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Ken Loach is known and well liked enough in britain but his films have never crossed over stateside (like i'm sure we won't see a self-pitying james gunn instagram post about this cos he's probably never seen a Loach film). doesn't surprise me because they're very british not in a wanky the crown/downton abbey way but actually british. but yeah his films like Cathy Come Home and I, Daniel Blake have actually impacted and shaped british politics. it's a bit ridiculous to do the "lol he hate us coz he ain't us he's just jealous" routine with him. it's not what he's after with filmmaking. asking him about marvel movies is like asking dracula about garlic bread.

Kes, The Wind the Shakes the Barley, and Up the Junction (the other version is good too but Ken Loach's version isn't talked about much even though it helped shape UK's abortion laws) are brilliant too. I honestly doubt we would find many filmmakers as brave as Ken Loach. He's one of the very few filmmakers who are actually interested at interrogating the status quo in such a deep way (which is also why his movies are also so influential in the UK).

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Ken Loach...I remember his great films from...from...hold a second..that one film from....and that other one about....well you know the ones I mean.

*looks at IMDB, yep nada zip zilch

just so we’re keeping score, Ken Loach has won the Palme D’or twice and Marvel has won it zero times.

• Knock It Off 1

I actually think Ant-Man and its sequel are underrated, because most MCU fans don't give these two movies the credit they deserve for being the best MCU franchise, and especially the second one, for being the BEST MCU movie by far, and one of the best comic book movies ever made. I know it still follows the tired MCU formula, but it does something interesting and different with it.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Doesn't he have some most Palme d'Or finalist type of records ?

I felt RDJ closed that debate in a lovely way, is Howard Stern show not radio ? The question in itself make little sense for the common us that do not have a definition of Cinema that goes beyond a feature length moving image and require the person making the statement to give a more restrictive definition that would exclude Guardian of The Galaxy for having a starting point to grasp with.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, he isn't at fault for you being ignorant though is it?

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

just so we’re keeping score, Ken Loach has won the Palme D’or twice and Marvel has won it zero times.

I knew this when I posted. Felt the "holier than thous" would chime in as expected and you didn't disappoint.

Art is subjective which makes his and any others "critique" fair for them but not some blanket fact.

Thanks for playing and taking the bait. I mean shit, I've been around since the BOM forum days. Knee jerk reactions like "ignorant"!! 😂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If you told me this at the start of the year I would have agreed with you but after rewatching it, I realised how much I missed. I loved how the film was embedded in spirituality and religion and explored death and the beauty of life. Even the seemingly mediocre villain is part of what gives the movie its substance. Honestly, everyone who didn't like the movie the first time should rewatch it. It's probably the most rewarding movie to rewatch out of any MCU film.

I rewatched it and it's even more paint-by-numbers superhero origin 101

• Disbelief 1

58 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

Hey at least Cameron likes Marvel now.

I think.

Cameron tried in the 90's to get a Spiderman movie launched.

Besides, I got a feeling he want to sort of buddy up with Keven Feige since Feige is sort of an Most Valuable Player at Disney and has a hell of a lot of clout.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Dr. Strange is like the epitome of boring 

I liked Dr. Strange better then that, but it was disappointing. Stephan Strange is one of my favorite Marvel charecters  (particulary the original Ditko run) and the film could have done so much more with the character. It was more bland then boring. Not nearly weird enough for a Dr Strange film.  The comics get really,really, weird and biazarre, particulary when Steve Ditko was doing it.

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

Are we now to the point that a show that would show cops in a good light (and it is not like white supremacist group have not been heavily targeted/infiltrated by US law in the past) would be controversial ?

Uhh yeah. A show that wants to talk about race or tackle white supremacy in any truthful or meaningful way has no business painting a rosy or heroic picture of American police. Thankfully, I don't think that's what Lindelof is doing. 

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Zack is one of the worst directors ever. The person who did Cat Woman with Halle Berry is better. I'm serious.

I wouldn't go quite that far. I think Snyder has his strengths. He's quite good at crafting great visuals and action sequences. The problem is that he's not a very good storyteller. The fact that he gave us Cavill as Superman (with the best Superman aesthetic yet) and wasted him on dull, incoherent stories is a real shame. I wish he were as talented as his fans believe him to be. 

3 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Zack is one of the worst directors ever. The person who did Cat Woman with Halle Berry is better. I'm serious.

Has the director of Catwoman even done anything else of note?

Also, regardless of Zack Snyder’s shortcomings, I’m not particularly looking forward to a J.J. Abrams directed Superman movie. I imagine it’ll just be a lot like SR.