Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I still don't get why most 'murican BOT members are so bitter, angry, indifferent or butthurt about Avatar.

This movie seems to have hurt them personally it seems.

Nutcases are trigged by Avatar, those who complain about it having a white Saviour and those who think climate change is a hoax.

Then it irritates the capegang and the Star Wars screw because they want to be number 1. They get a taste of being the best on opening weekend and start thinking "wow this can beat Avatar"... then they realise the gap is too big for mortals to close. This makes them start thinking things like "how could anything beat The Force Awakens/Infinity War by so much"... Avatar wasn't StarWars/Cape so that means he must have cheated it's way to #1. They've worked it out by this point, Avatar only did well because it got an unfair bonus from the 3D gimmick, this is shown by it having NO cultural impact!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well I was the first one to bring up JL whrn there were complains on OW but it's really gotten tiresome. No one is intrested in recycling the same arguments over and over and over. There is nothing new to the TlJ talk every time it comes up. And it's gotter horribly boring.

Just because the mods made a mistake of not interviening early with DCU doesn't mean they need to make the same mistake.

I agree that The Last Jedi is old news but Solo sure isn't. I think six weeks of talking about it's box office in depth is not excessive. I think it was fine to talk about TLJ when it was still in theaters but right now, meh. I think at best it's 10% of the reason for Solo's lack luster box office. 

I saw Baumer's message and I thought it was a good one. I'll keep my bitching about double standards in here. And you better believe that I have plenty more to say over the next few weeks.

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree that The Last Jedi is old news but Solo sure isn't. I think six weeks of talking about it's box office in depth is not excessive. I think it was fine to talk about TLJ when it was still in theaters but right now, meh. I think at best it's 10% of the reason for Solo's lack luster box office. 

I saw Baumer's message and I thought it was a good one. I'll keep my bitching about double standards in here. And you better believe that I have plenty more to say over the next few weeks.

I don't think that anyone said you cannot discuss Solo's box office. But it is tiring to keep bringing up the same arguments about what led to it's failure or what it would mean for the future of the franchise. The former should stay within the OW thread of any movie since it becomes repetitive then on while the latter is something we do not know about and thus is only hypothetical talk.

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar wasn't StarWars/Cape so that means he must have cheated it's way to #1. They've worked it out by this point, Avatar only did well because it got an unfair bonus from the 3D gimmick

Isn't that objectively true? 

Marvel and SW had to build their franchises and fan-bases from scratch to get into the 2 billion club

while James Cameron got 2 movies in that club without much effort other than "DAE like 3D???"

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Isn't that objectively true? 

Marvel and SW had to build their franchises and fan-bases from scratch to get into the 2 billion club

while James Cameron got 2 movies in that club without much effort other than "DAE like 3D???"

OG Star Wars performed far better than The Force Awakens did without a fanbase... the #1 spot has NEVER been held by a franchise film (until Avatar 2 of course).

Looks like I hit the nail on the head

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The next highest-grossing film wont be an american movie and especially not a sequel.

It will be a Chinese film.

:sparta:

Edited by Brainbug
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

The next highest-grossing film wont be an american movie and especially not a sequel.

It will be a Chinese film.

Chinese films only make money in China... also betting against Jim is wishful thinking

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

What Thanos is doing is so meta.

He literally punched Star Wars & the DCEU in the fucking face showing everybody who s boss.

:shades::rock:

Weird because Thanos and Steppenwolf are on the same level of CGI mediocrity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Chinese films only make money in China... also betting against Jim is wishful thinking

LOL i forgot to put in the emoji :Venom: that post wasnt serious haha.

Talking seriously, i just dont see the Avatar sequels (at the moment, without any marketing material) outgrossing the first one because of a variety of reasons that have all been discussed to death in this and other threads.

• Haha 1

DC of course can bounce back as long as the future films audiences don't connect them with how they felt about BvS and to a lesser extent JL. Which is why I think Shazam is actually a smart move by WB/DC as it's a film that doesn't have the baggage of BvS and JL. Also which is why I'm worried about how Aquaman and (to a lesser extent) how a Flash film will do as they will by nature always be connected with JL. Batman will be fine because he's well...Batman but even that film whenever it gets made I don't think it makes $1 Billion.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

They've worked it out by this point, Avatar only did well because it got an unfair bonus from the 3D gimmick, this is shown by it having NO cultural impact!

A note for the future... ANYTIME anyone dares use the phrase 'No cultural impact' point them towards Solo. A movie that has at its core one of the most beloved and iconic characters of all time... FLOPS. 

Jake Sully is a stronger lead than Han Solo. Remind them of that fact when they next talk nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

DC of course can bounce back as long as the future films audiences don't connect them with how they felt about BvS and to a lesser extent JL. Which is why I think Shazam is actually a smart move by WB/DC as it's a film that doesn't have the baggage of BvS and JL. Also which is why I'm worried about how Aquaman and (to a lesser extent) how a Flash film will do as they will by nature always be connected with JL. Batman will be fine because he's well...Batman but even that film whenever it gets made I don't think it makes $1 Billion.

WW had the BVS baggage and turned out ok.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

A note for the future... ANYTIME anyone dares use the phrase 'No cultural impact' point them towards Solo. A movie that has at its core one of the most beloved and iconic characters of all time... FLOPS. 

Jake Sully is a stronger lead than Han Solo. Remind them of that fact when they next talk nonsense. 

Lol.  Alden whathisname isn't Solo, its pretty obvious thats the biggest reason the movie flopped, people just didn't buy it.

And Jake Sully left such a lasting impression on audiences that Sam Worthington has had a strong and vibrant career in Hollywood ever since with hits like Clash of the Titans and Man on a Ledge.

3 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol.  Alden whathisname isn't Solo,

No true Solo? 

It completely invalidates that criticism that 'cultural impact' (whatever that is - I'm yet to see anything close to a measurable definition) is important in box office success. 

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

And Jake Sully left such a lasting impression on audiences that Sam Worthington has had a strong and vibrant career in Hollywood ever since with hits like Clash of the Titans and Man on a Ledge.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring Mark Hamill into this either...