Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I meant domestically. Worldwide I think WW84 will beat WW.

What is clear is that the box office of WW84 will depend more on how good the movie is compared to CM. If WW84 is great i can see it making 400-415M again. If its mediocre it will probably land around 330-350M. While a CM sequel due to the larger fanbase of the Marvel brand can achieve 400M even if its mediocre.

DCEU movies are simply much harder to predict when it comes to the BO because DCEU movies doesn't seem to benefit much from other movies in the same universe like Marvel is able to do.

15 minutes ago, AndyK said:

CM has been playing off the EndGame connection and hype.

There is no reason to believe CM2 will achieve more than the first without that hype, I believe it will probably reduce significantly.

WW on the other hand has being playing on TV channels to considerable success. There is a whole bunch of people that would be prepared to see WW84 in cinemas that didn't see the first because of brand distrust.

Domestically WW was a very popular movie, but was it that well recieved overseas? I don't think WW84 can earn much more than the first one domestically. Its overseas that it has to increase and i'm unsure if it can do more than 500M overseas.

If WW84 wants to achieve 1 billion at the box office its likely that it will have to gross 600M overseas, 200M more than the first one. Seems a step too far because i don't think China will give it more than around 100M.

I think both WW1984 and CM2 will drop domestically. Most sequels to criticaly liked and high grossing superhero movies have dropped. 

SM1 > SM2

TDK > TDKR

Avengers > Age of Ultron

Iron Man 1 > Iron Man 2

Deadpool 1 > Deadpool 2

The only superhero sequels that did better than their predecessors were those that had very low gross to begin with or those that received an Avengers boost. 

The above 2 movie wont have that. 

3 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I think both WW1984 and CM2 will drop domestically. Most sequels to criticaly liked and high grossing superhero movies have dropped. 

SM1 > SM2

TDK > TDKR

Avengers > Age of Ultron

Iron Man 1 > Iron Man 2

Deadpool 1 > Deadpool 2

The only superhero sequels that did better than their predecessors were those that had very low gross to begin with or those that received an Avengers boost. 

The above 2 movie wont have that. 

CM wasn’t that critically liked, or that high grossing. And we don’t know much how she might benefit from Endgame. 

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

CM wasn’t that critically liked, or that high grossing. And we don’t know much how she might benefit from Endgame. 

It will be the 4th highest grossing for a solo superhero film and 2nd highest for a solo superhero debut film.  That is pretty high grossing if you ask me.

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah plus GOTG2 managed to outgross GOTG1 even though it was less critically acclaimed and the first was a genuine over-performance. 

• Like 1

This isn't remotely about singling out DCEU vs MCU, but we're back to that fun place where we can't mention an MCU and DCEU movie in the same sentence or its a franchise war, so here we go:

Wish CM wasn't going to pass GOTG2 and WW DOM. It's one of the most thoroughly mediocre films the studio has put out so far. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This doesn't belong here because it's not remotely about singling out DCEU vs MCU, but we're back to that fun place where the mods think we can't mention an MCU and DCEU movie in the same sentence or its a franchise war, so here we go:

Wish CM wasn't going to pass GOTG2 and WW DOM. It's one of the most thoroughly mediocre films the studio has put out so far. 

I liked CM but I definitely agree,  it’s on the lower end of my mcu rankings for sure.  

With regards to the box office, I don’t care about that stuff but you’re of course entitled to your own opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This doesn't belong here because it's not remotely about singling out DCEU vs MCU, but we're back to that fun place where the mods think we can't mention an MCU and DCEU movie in the same sentence or its a franchise war, so here we go:

I fully agree. But credit to Marvel, because they have made so many well recieved movies in the last 10 years they have gained a huge audience following that mediocre movies lik CM can capitalize on. Had Warner Bros not given the audiences movies like BvS and Suicide Squad its likely that DC movies would also have enjoyed the same upswing in support as well.

But hopefully CM was an one off and that Marvel continues to make their movies of the quality that they are known for in the future. thus deserving their great box office results.

Even WB got an undeserved major hit in Aquaman, even if i enjoyed Aquaman more than CM that was mostly because i felt it was an action packed fun movie and not because it had a good story or dialogue. So sad to see that Shazam which was a good movie only reaching half the box office of crap like Suicide Squad. But again that has to do with WBs resume when it comes to superhero movies. Hard to sell a lower budget unknown superhero movie like Shazam with a mediocre track record the last 10 years.

Edited by LordNox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I fully agree. But credit to Marvel, because they have made so many well recieved movies in the last 10 years they have gained a huge audience following that mediocre movies lik CM can capitalize on. Had Warner Bros not given the audiences movies like BvS and Suicide Squad its likely that DC movies would also have enjoyed the same upswing in support as well.

But hopefully CM was an one off and that Marvel continues to make their movies of the quality that they are known for in the future. thus deserving their great box office results.

Even WB got an undeserved major hit in Aquaman, even if i enjoyed Aquaman more than CM that was mostly because i felt it was an action packed fun movie and not because it had a good story or dialogue. So sad to see that Shazam which was a good movie only reaching half the box office of crap like Suicide Squad. But again that has to do with WBs resume when it comes to superhero movies. Hard to sell a lower budget unknown superhero movie like Shazam with a mediocre track record the last 10 years.

I would love to see what GotG2 could have done releasing in the current hype level MCU is in. That OW was a bit underwhelming, but then the legs for it were great for a CBM sequel. I think GotG2 was the movie that really kickstarted the hype building that has led to where we are. The AoU, Ant-Man, CW, and DS stretch I feel like was met with a lot of decent, but maybe a bit tepid reception that was causing the franchise to wane in popularity.

It's really GotG2, HC, Ragnarok, BP, and IW that has built the hype to this absurd level, and CM is getting the luckiest of any MCU film to date in terms of the boost it's getting from that, imo. Release it in the pre-GotG2 stretch and I bet it pulls DS numbers at best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would love to see what GotG2 could have done releasing in the current hype level MCU is in. That OW was a bit underwhelming, but then the legs for it were great for a CBM sequel. I think GotG2 was the movie that really kickstarted the hype building that has led to where we are. The AoU, Ant-Man, CW, and DS stretch I feel like was met with a lot of decent, but maybe a bit tepid reception that was causing the franchise to wane in popularity.

It's really GotG2, HC, Ragnarok, BP, and IW that has built the hype to this absurd level, and CM is getting the luckiest of any MCU film to date in terms of the boost it's getting from that, imo. Release it in the pre-GotG2 stretch and I bet it pulls DS numbers at best. 

Making your opinion facts is such dramatic. There are many people out there who love CM just because you found it Medicore doesn't change a thing. 

Make as many conspiracy theories as you want. 

When CM2 outgross CM we will talk again. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Making your opinion facts is such dramatic. There are many people out there who love CM just because you found it Medicore doesn't change a thing. 

Make as many conspiracy theories as you want. 

When CM2 outgross CM we will talk again. 

Lol, there's no "conspiracy theory." CM is riding a massive hype wave from the MCU, only someone blind would deny that. I'm sure it does have decent WOM, like literally every MCU film besides like one before it. This movie has the advantage of having more than just WOM on its side though.  

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, there's no "conspiracy theory." CM is riding a massive hype wave from the MCU, only someone blind would deny that. I'm sure it does have decent WOM, like literally every MCU film besides like one before it. This movie has the advantage of having more than just WOM on its side though.  

Absoluteley. CM will be the third highest grossing solo movie in the MCU, but for me at least its of similar quality like Ant-man more than its comparable to the highest quality Marvel movies.

I also think the marketing campaign of CM being the first female led MCU movie helped the movie when it comes to the female audience.

Its clear that CM was not a better movie than 90 % of the MCU movies that it grossed over. So i agree that CM was placed in the perfect window to capitalize on the huge amount of goodwill audiences have towards the MCU.

33 minutes ago, Matthew said:

For me CM was veey good.. I liked it a lot better than many MCU movie. 

The general consensus is very positive as far as I have seen in Real life talking to people face to face. 

Opposite for me, they all said it was meh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1