Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

GoT is a franchise but Avatar isn't? You guys really move the goal posts to forget who #1 is don't you? :Gaga:

Even if it were, Game of Thrones is bigger than Avatar!

Everyone knows Jon Snow, Dany (Khaleesi), Arya and Tyrion.  Nobody remembers the name of whoever the lead is in avatar

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire

22 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

For what is worth,1B viewers around the globe watching the premiere live,is pretty fucking insane.And that figure does not include the poor souls who watched it later by illegally streaming or downloading the episode or even those who gathered at bars,homes etc. To watch it with company.

What and source ?

They expected around 20m in the US I think (season 7 start was 10-11m).

A world cup final (by far the most watched TV show) do not have a billion viewers, superbowl tend to be under 150m worldwide.

• Like 2

Does 1B people in the world out of 7+Billion even have access to HBO / Internet service? And even if they did are all of them going to be watching GoT season 7 premiere. Seems kinda silly to me. 

38 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

For what is worth,1B viewers around the globe watching the premiere live,is pretty fucking insane.And that figure does not include the poor souls who watched it later by illegally streaming or downloading the episode or even those who gathered at bars,homes etc. To watch it with company.

That is absolutely ridiculous. There is no way that many people watch GoT let alone  watch it live. Even Superbowl at max gets 110m viewership. Only broadcasts that consistently gets these kinda numbers are sports broadcast on tv which does not require special memberships

Here are season 7 numbers - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/arts/television/game-of-thrones-finale-sets-ratings-record.html

The average viewership was just 30 million per episode. Season finale was just 12 million according to Nielsen (16.5m including HBO app and Go - numbers for the US I assume). 

So unless viewership grew by 3300% between last seasons finale and this seasons premiere, it wont even come close to 100 million let alone 1 billion

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Does 1B people in the world out of 7+Billion even have access to HBO / Internet service? And even if they did are all of them going to be watching GoT season 7 premiere. Seems kinda silly to me. 

HBO is 142m account (I imagine some are hotels and what not) worldwide for about 370m clients I would imagine.

Internet is yes billion of people:

As of April 2019, 56.1% of the world's population has internet access, and 81% of the developed world. In 2015, the International Telecommunication Union estimated about 3.2 billion people, or almost half of the world's population, would be online by the end of the year.

Now in many place Internet is quite limited, in some country it is only Facebook, some place only a text version of facebook, does not mean they have streaming level of Internet and it is often on wireless mobile, but I would imagine possible that 1 billion of people would (for 33% of the Internet user having a fast one)

But yes that 1 billion seem completely silly, like I said World Cup finals does not reach those level, for a giant proportion of the world, GoT premiere was really not happening during a watching TV time schedule. Sound like the Oscar talking about 1 billion, then hundreds of millions, when they are watch by almost exclusively canada-us-mexico audience and about 65m Worldwide.

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

That is absolutely ridiculous. There is no way that many people watch GoT let alone  watch it live. Even Superbowl at max gets 110m viewership. Only broadcasts that consistently gets these kinda numbers are sports broadcast on tv which does not require special memberships

In the USA, it is 140m or so worldwide I think.

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

So you are saying poor people can afford all the things I mentioned above? How I would be jumped on if I changed it to race makes no sense. Being black, brown, white, etc doesn't change your ability to take care of yourself and make yourself look cleaner and healthier. Being poor does. Am I also a bigot for saying that there is a positive correlation between poverty and crime?

Yes. Yes I am. I grew up in abject poverty and was never unclean, and my mother kept our house spotless. To equate lack of resources to uncleanliness is bigotry plain and simple. 

43 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

45 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What and source ?

They expected around 20m in the US I think (season 7 start was 10-11m).

A world cup final (by far the most watched TV show) do not have a billion viewers, superbowl tend to be under 150m worldwide.

30 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Here are season 7 numbers - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/arts/television/game-of-thrones-finale-sets-ratings-record.html

The average viewership was just 30 million per episode. Season finale was just 12 million according to Nielsen (16.5m including HBO app and Go - numbers for the US I assume). 

So unless viewership grew by 3300% between last seasons finale and this seasons premiere, it wont even come close to 100 million let alone 1 billion

Don't kill the messenger.

And for what is worth,maybe they don't only count views from HBO but also those who tuned it with some network that has partnered with HBO and live streams the show.

• Astonished 3

36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

To equate lack of resources to uncleanliness is bigotry plain and simple. 

Lol, no it isn't. You lived well, good for you. None of what I said is unreasonable or hateful towards poor people. There are many studies that show a correlation between poverty and poor health and poor hygiene.

Edited by lorddemaxus

28 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

They outright lie. It's basically impossible it's above 300 million and even that figure is decisional.

Sound like it, cannot find a source and were saying it before the rating could be in.

It was monday 3:00/4:00/5:00 AM in Europe when it played and less than 2% of the rating would be from the United State ? When the US is giant proportion of HBO subscription and the episode playing in a perfect TV time (for most of the rest of the world it was a bit of a making no sense schedule, it is something to take a day off  work and watch a live event at 5 in the morning in a bar, for a fiction that you can watch anytime...)

Sound like the big numbers non sense we heard often in the past for the Oscar/SuperBowl, American do love doing it.

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

No because GoT will still be going on and GoT is bigger than Endgame, duh

It true, but it's not a movie franchise and therefore doesn't belong here.

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

It true, but it's not a movie franchise and therefore doesn't belong here.

The title does not say Movie Franchise Wars!  

However you are partially right, this is a fanboy wars thread.  GoT and Pika Pika stans are not fanboys they’re fanadults!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

That doesn’t even count the people who watch through streaming in the US.  I believe Season 7’s cumulative average per episode on their first week was about 30m in US

Let’s see what this one averages per week in the US!  Could it push 40m?

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, no it isn't. You lived well, good for you. None of what I said is unreasonable or hateful towards poor people. There are many studies that show a correlation between poverty and poor health and poor hygiene.

'Studies' - there are many bigoted studies, anyone with even a cursory understanding of the history of anti-semitism for example knows all about how studies can be used to compound a bigoted streotype. Please, continue with your ignorant and classist language in future, it only serves to make your other positions lack credibility.