Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

In what way is Avatar evil and EG good?

I'm confused at what angle you would even approach that from... if it's just a lighthearted joke sure nice one

Isn’t everything in this thread and 80% of everything on this site a joke? Yeah it was a joke. I don’t hate Avatar, seen it twice, it was ok 🙂

Edited by JimiQ
Typos

2 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Isn’t everything in this thread and 80% of everything on this site a joke? Yeah it was a joke. I don’t hate Avatar, seen it twice, it was ok 🙂

quality of the film wasn't what I was going for, moreso the auteurs vision of dreaming with your eyes wide open vs a studio manufactuared product does nothing to push cinema forward

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warmaster506 said:

Going to get nasty in 2021 between Marvel and DC fans.  Marvel fans already running their mouths about SJW Panther.

That's interesting, I mean, it's not like any of them are going to have the highest grossing film of 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

quality of the film wasn't what I was going for, moreso the auteurs vision of dreaming with your eyes wide open vs a studio manufactuared product does nothing to push cinema forward

Not every movie has to push cinema forward to satisfy. Not every movie needs to break ground to be incredible and awe-inspiring. Se7en is my favorite movie of all time and it's not exactly much different than many other investigation thrillers. The MCU is a serialized franchise that did innovate in the idea of bringing multiple different franchises into one unified vision (something that all of Hollywood has tried to replicate so far), and Endgame was basically the series/season finale. No one was asking for it to be an epic auteur novel, and it not being that doesn't rip cinema of its soul. Not to mention, Endgame of all movies should not be accused of being a soulless product by studio assembly when it is clearly designed to be a love letter and a reward to its franchise's fanbase. And even then, the Russos do definitely have a sense of palpable style that was present in Endgame.

I like Avatar but their fans are fucking awful. I'd take the worst DC fans ever in a room with the worst Marvel fans over Avatar ones and that's saying something.

That's coming from someone who loved avatar a decade ago.

DC fans, thoughts on Batman? I really would love to see a Batman Beyond arc that would awesome imo.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not every movie has to push cinema forward to satisfy. Not every movie needs to break ground to be incredible and awe-inspiring.

What about every movie that's reached a milestone? The billion dollar grossers post-Titanic had something to say about the moviegoing experience as well as what's demanded of the genre/subgenre they're steeped in.

12 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Sometimes I feel like box office discussions would be more logical if people pretended it was more like sports. Just because a 2019 team has more wins than a 2007 team, if both won the World Championship, they're both champs, it doesn't matter how many wins or points or whatever either team had, really doesn't matter whatsoever. Totally different circumstances, different paths, they both won. So what if Endgame beats or doesn't beat Avatar, I mean Avatar was a HUGE champ in 2009 and Endgame can be a huge champ in 2019 without either taking way from the other, right? 

Plus, what does it actually accomplish? Like am I forced to admit Avatar is a better movie than every other film ever made just because it's #1 worldwide? Seems kind of silly to me. I won't even agree it's more popular than all movies, frankly. It just was the biggest box office hit of its year, and it has been biggest since then worldwide, which means exactly what it means -- tons of people went to theaters to see it. I sure did. I think I saw it 3 times in theaters. I also bought the damn thing 3 times on Blu-ray, some regular Blu-ray, a special edition version, and a 3-D one that actually came with my TV back in 2011 ha ha. Lots of fun, really enjoyed the movie. 

As someone who recently got blasted for unknowingly committing the sin of insinuating "Avatar 2" or any movie after "Endgame" wouldn't make $354638billion++++++ worldwide, I agree completely. Imagine beating each other up over something so ridiculously silly when we should be reflecting that we're alive in an era where we were able to experience these movie in theaters.

Just imagine the hopelessness of the next generation... What do they have that could possibly be comparable? A "Twilight" remake? 😂

Edited by I Am
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

I like Avatar but their fans are fucking awful. I'd take the worst DC fans ever in a room with the worst Marvel fans over Avatar ones and that's saying something.

That's coming from someone who loved avatar a decade ago.

DC fans, thoughts on Batman? I really would love to see a Batman Beyond arc that would awesome imo.

cdsacken you said Endgame was locked to beat Avatar.

I'm going to assume you have basic box office knowledge so this can only mean you're detatched from reality... thus your opinion invalid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

cdsacken you said Endgame was locked to beat Avatar.

I'm going to assume you have basic box office knowledge so this can only mean you're detatched from reality... thus your opinion invalid.

Happy to admit I might be wrong about it. I'm not delusional saying 2.8b for Avatar 2 is a failure. I am far for perfect and often am proven wrong. Back on ignore you go.

Account/Ignored Users/ Add user.

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think we should use this thread to track Endgame O/U Avatar WW.

I still believe Avengers will squeak through.

Same but obviously no longer 0/100. It needs to normalize quick.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Happy to admit I might be wrong about it. I'm not delusional saying 2.8b for Avatar 2 is a failure. I am far for perfect and often am proven wrong. Back on ignore you go.

Account/Ignored Users/ Add user.

The thing is I am perfect, right and 2.8b would be a failure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, cdsacken said:

There's a great writer/director on board, and they managed to secure an amazing lead actor. I hope it's Bruce Wayne.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

There's a great writer/director on board, and they managed to secure an amazing lead actor. I hope it's Bruce Wayne.

Lols. I do love the director. I question the choice and I should. He's a skinny tiny pretty boy. Hated Brandon Routhe for CK.

That said with the right script it could be awesome and he is a good actor. I am hoping for the best. I hope it's amazing and does 1.5B+. Not expecting that just hoping for it.

10 hours ago, 2kt09 said:

What about every movie that's reached a milestone? The billion dollar grossers post-Titanic had something to say about the moviegoing experience as well as what's demanded of the genre/subgenre they're steeped in.

....that's sarcasm, right?

@IronJimbo Was Alita a failure when it didn't hit the Billie either? C'mon now, dude.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

16 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

....that's sarcasm, right?

@IronJimbo Was Alita a failure when it didn't hit the Billie either? C'mon now, dude.

No it wasn't.

Alita did ok but it didn't breakout... the billie was the breakout scenario (which is super hard a new IP)

Avatar 2 is different, I know Jim is aiming for over 3 billies (fact) so if he fails to make it's going to be a failure for him.

However if Jim were to fail that's like the best achievement of a normal directors life...

When you're so much better than everyone failing for yourself is a success for others, not a hard concept to grasp.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Going to get nasty in 2021 between Marvel and DC fans.  Marvel fans already running their mouths about SJW Panther.

Ive never felt any Marvel or Disney movie was too SJW personally - even though I’m sensitive to that kind of thing - but I did feel it was almost like great black actors didn’t exist before?! I kept hearing how revolutionary it was for having great black actors. I guess I’m just confused, I grew up with Will Smith one of my favorite action heroes and TV stars both, Denzel is one of my favorites, and literally Samuel L. Jackson IS my favorite. And that’s all besides the great Sidney Poitier. I just didn’t understand how it was “a big deal” as the first movie with a great black cast. Were the people saying that 14 years old?! It wasn’t a significant milestone in any respect. It was just another Marvel movie, very good, not in my top 50% at all. One of the weaker entries but I love every Marvel film so I still loved it. It just wasn’t special at all.

I also thought if anything the praise was patronizing, like “it celebrates black achievement!” Umm Wakanda isn’t real. What did I miss here?!

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

I feel like anyone who seriously uses the term SJW has some serious bigoted skeletons in their closet.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 7