Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

It's so condescending of you to assume that people don't actually enjoy the DCU movies only because you and critics in general don't. That attitude is around here a lot, it's really weird, it's almost like people shouldn't have different tastes or something.

I love the MCU, God only knows how much fun their movies give me. Hell, I even really like Thor TDW! And still, I really enjoyed all the DCU offerings so far as well. Is it so hard to grasp such possibility?

my favorite franchise is X-Men though :ph34r:

Oh I understand that part.   But at this point a DC fan would have to just get used to enjoying something that has the status of Transformers and Twilight movies.   If that's the kind of movies you like, then by all means keep buying the tickets...and you'll get more.

I suppose the best way to tell if WB is happy with the box office will be if they start changing what they are doing.    That little bit of the Flash in the JL trailer has me thinking they think they could do better.  (and thank Christ they aren't going to turn the Flash into Batman like they did with Superman)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Oh I understand that part.   But at this point a DC fan would have to just get used to enjoying something that has the status of Transformers and Twilight movies.   If that's the kind of movies you like, then by all means keep buying the tickets...and you'll get more.

I suppose the best way to tell if WB is happy with the box office will be if they start changing what they are doing.    That little bit of the Flash in the JL trailer has me thinking they think they could do better.  (and thank Christ they aren't going to turn the Flash into Batman like they did with Superman)

The problem with this is, we don't know how much the changes were due to the natural progression of the story telling or in reaction to critics and fans. The Flash was meant to bring in youth and humor to their universe from the start as seen by both interviews with Deborah Snyder and Chris Terrio before the release of BvS. From what both have revealed, Justice League was meant to be far lighter in tone and was planned to be that way before 2016.

If WB made adjustments to Suicide Squad to make their detractors happy, then, as I feared, trying to cater to all just loses some of the original support. At least in my case, I didn't care for what they did, and I was really anticipating a better movie. If SS is exactly how they imagined it, then unfortunately I just didn't like it as much as I wanted to. 

Going forward, I hope the writers, directors, the producers, and most of all the studio are able to filter out all the noise surrounding these movies. Certainly, they could benefit from course correction by listening to legitimate concerned and loyal fans. Unfortunately, the troll is strong with the internet, and good criticism can be lost within the complaints of people who don't know anything outside of hate. If the story about Liman is true, then I'm happy with the choice, as it points to the use of a less-compromising director. If the studio is going that route, maybe the director-lead vision is still in play. While I believe following the Marvel approach would yield greater success, I'd much rather they take artist-centric approach, even if that means some duds. Just my opinion...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 75live said:

SW and then whatever franchise you want after that as it doesn't matter at that point.  well except HP as that is always going to be last :P 

What they said, except the HP part. That's kind pretty much off my radar.

7 hours ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

I know it's basically a forum joke meme at this point, but really, the staff has zero rooting interest in pushing one franchise over another. We can't even agree with ourselves about what the franchise order would be.

(At least, I hope that was a joke. :lol: If not, let's nip that in the bud right now). 

butt*

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The only thing that interest me in this debate is the obession of the BOT's Mod Team with DCEU movies, they are almost all closeted DC stans.

No need to hide anymore, come out in the open.

We won't judge you.

:)

Agree. 

They are biased like Fox news.

It's a 1000 fatigue and crumbling comments on CA3. Fucked the fish 5000 times

But nothing but threat bans on BvS and SS when a negative word is mentioned. 

Fuck DC, it's crumbling.

• Like 5

Excellent article about the current studio system.  It could fit in a multitude of places but I put it here because of what it says about current franchise and studio film making.

The studio as auteur: Movie hits and misses this year define the system

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-studio-as-auteur-movie-hits-and-misses-this-year-define-the-system/2016/08/25/a9520076-6879-11e6-8225-fbb8a6fc65bc_story.html

Almost 30 years ago, the film historian Thomas Schatz wrote his influential book, “The Genius of the System,” in which he argued that Hollywood’s Golden Age-era studios weren’t the impersonal, creativity-killing dream factories of legend and lore. Instead, Schatz posited that each studio’s stable of stars, directors and technicians — guided by shrewd moguls — helped create films with distinct visual styles and storytelling motifs.

So far, the studio that seems to be taking its auteurist potential most sincerely to heart is Disney, which has scored home runs with its most lucrative IP cash cows: “Star Wars” and the Marvel Avengers universe. (Three of the top five movies this summer are Disney’s — “Finding Dory,” “Captain America: Civil War” and “The Jungle Book.”)

Working with such insightful filmmakers as J.J. Abrams, Joss Whedon, and Anthony and Joe Russo — as well as its reliably excellent subsidiary, Pixar — the studio seems to comprehend more often than not the importance of solid scripts, adroit, humanistic direction and perhaps most important of all, bold, perceptive casting. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans prove that these movies didn’t need stars as much as they needed fine actors who were ready to be stars. That calculation isn’t a matter of financial projections or four-quadrant focus groups, but gut instinct and artistic taste (both of which, it bears noting, Abrams also brought to his Paramount reboot of “Star Trek”).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

The problem with this is, we don't know how much the changes were due to the natural progression of the story telling or in reaction to critics and fans. The Flash was meant to bring in youth and humor to their universe from the start as seen by both interviews with Deborah Snyder and Chris Terrio before the release of BvS. From what both have revealed, Justice League was meant to be far lighter in tone and was planned to be that way before 2016.

I reason I suspect the Flash might be a reaction is that they didn't do it with Superman.   Superman was the perfect opportunity to bring a less "dark" character into the fold and put him up front and center.   Supes has a ton of problems of course, but he doesn't react to them by mopping around like Batman does.  

So if Flash gets to be more true to his character that's a pretty big change.   And it also gives me hope as a big Supes fan that maybe he'll be back to his real self after his "death".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

I reason I suspect the Flash might be a reaction is that they didn't do it with Superman.   Superman was the perfect opportunity to bring a less "dark" character into the fold and put him up front and center.   Supes has a ton of problems of course, but he doesn't react to them by mopping around like Batman does.  

So if Flash gets to be more true to his character that's a pretty big change.   And it also gives me hope as a big Supes fan that maybe he'll be back to his real self after his "death".

This is unfortunate, because both Superman and the Flash aren't THAT character. The Flash we see on the CW is far more Wally West than Barry Allen, and from what I've seen from Ezra Miller, he's far more cartoon version of Wally West or even Impulse than the true Barry Allen. Superman, that we have seen in the cinematic universe, is very close to the comic version, and I believe Snyder chose the 80s version. Now, I'm open to reinterpretation. For instance, Disney and the MCU is such a success because of the hiring of comedy writer and directors and giving a Spider-Man-esque humor to every character. Thor, Cap, Iron Man, and the Hulk were not this funny in the comics I read while growing up. Hawkeye, on the other hand, is closer to being spot-on. I wouldn't mind a lighter version of Superman and the Flash, but I don't like the excuse of being more true to the comics, when instilling the lightness and humor would actually be the opposite.

Btw, Superman moping around is actually him being stoic. Fans have hated it in the comics for a few decades too. Yes, I know, we can find stellar examples that are very different, but trust me, for the most part, Mr. Stoicism is what you'd generally find in a Superman comic. Personally, I prefer the Grant Morrison version of the character, and I hope that's what we see Justice League and beyond, but Snyder's version so far is much more accurate to comic-Superman than MCU Cap is to comic-Captain-America. As I have said before, choosing to deviate from comics might be the better choice.

• Like 2