WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg14): Martian 11.4 | Goosebumps 10.21 | Spies 8.06 | Burnt 5.04 | Crisis 3.43 | Scouts 1.77

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Baumer, it's The Lovely Bones. ;)

The book is one of my favorites but was always going to be difficult to adapt into a film. However, Peter Jackson's movie was a disaster on every level, from the casting (in particular, Mark Wahlberg as the world's least convincing grieving father) to the storytelling.

Yes on multiple levels. I remember heading into the wide opening weekend in January 2010 ready to be extremely forgiving based upon my love of the novel and Jackson's previous filmography, but then emerging from the auditorium more frustrated than I've ever been with a much-anticipated film.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Telemachos said:
9 hours ago, Tau Ceti said:

That's some varsity-level floppage right there. I knew this weekend's openers would all come in under $10M. It didn't occur to me they'd come in under $10M, combined.

Edited by Wrath

The Lovely Bones was busted Oscar bait but it made $44M domestic, not bad, considering this week's numbers. Speaking of TLB, remember when Peter Jackson originally cast Ryan Gosling as the dad, so he (Gosling) went and grew a beard and got fat to try to look the part of the grieving parent, except he didn't tell PJ about this first? So Gosling showed up to film, Jackson was all WTF, fired him, and that's how Wahlberg ended up getting the role: they had to get someone with some amount of visibility/star power and filming was about to start. But it never made any sense to hire someone who was 26 (at the time) to play a 14 year old's father anyway. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

DHD update. All three openers revised down from earlier, top 4 likely to be holdovers:

1). The Martian (FOX), 3,218 theaters (-286) / $3.2M to $3.4M Fri. / 3-day cume:$10.6M to $10.8M / Total cume: $182.3M / Wk 5

2). Goosebumps (SONY), 3,618 theaters (+117) / $2.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.5Mto $8.7M / Total cume: $55.5M / Wk 3

3). Bridge Of Spies (DIS), 2,873 theaters (+62) / $2.4M Fri. / 3-day cume:$7.6M / Total cume: $44.8M / Wk 3

4). Burnt (TWC), 3,003 theaters / $1.8M to $2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5M to $5.5M / Wk 1

5). Hotel Transylvania 2 (SONY), 2,962 theaters (-192) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.2M / Total cume: $155.4M / Wk 6

6). The Last Witch Hunter (LGF), 3,082 theaters (0) / $1.4M to $1.6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.6M to $4.6M (-62%) / Total cume: 18M+ /Wk 2

7). Our Brand Is Crisis (WB), 2,202 theaters / $1M to $1.2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3M to $3.5M / Wk 1

8/9). Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (PAR), 1,530 theaters (-126) / $1.15M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3M (-63%) / Wk 2

9). Crimson Peak (UNI), 2,112 theaters (-879) / $1.15M Fri.  / 3-day cume: $3M / Total cume: 27.1M / Wk 3

10). Steve Jobs (UNI), 2,493 theaters (0) / $884K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.6M / Total cume: $14.6M / Wk 4

12). Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse (PAR), 1,509 theaters / $635M to $750K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.5M to $1.8M / Wk 1

18). Jem And The Holograms (UNI), 2,417 theaters (+4) / $161K Fri. / 3-day cume: $489K (-64%) / Total cume: $2.1M / Wk 2

20). Rock The Kasbah (OPEN), 2,012 theaters (0) / $107K Fri. / 3-day cume:$337K (-77%) / Total cume: $2.4M / Wk 2

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5

That's awful for Steve Jobs. And I was kinda hoping Goosebumps would have a great Friday. Oh well. As for the openers, they all looked pretty unappealing. We all knew the end of October would be a slog.

37 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Duh, if you market it to the wimmins, teen boys would think it's for old people and the GDT fanboys wouldn't show up because girls have cooties! Even if some of the biggest Gothic romance novels ever that are decades, over a hundred years old (Rebecca, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, heck, even Flowers in the Attic) hugely appeal to teen girls and women,  it's not like they'd want to see a movie along those lines or anything... :rolleyes:

You are correct to an extent but the problem with Crimson Peak is that it doesn't even come close in quality to the books that you've mentioned. Crimson Peak was mismanaged by Universal but I suspect that the studio just didn't believe in the movie.  They were just trying to limit their losses by marketing it as a horror.

That Steve Jobs number is terrible. 2nd weekend below Kutcher's jOBS. Unbelievable. Kutcher's movie will have earned more since the wide release than the prestige pic with Sorkin writing and Boyle directing.

Jem and Kasbah will both probably lose 90% or more of their theater count for next weekend.

This weekend ...

Those numbers ...

Cooper & Sabu in BO hell.

Steve Jobs  is more Rejected than the Mila Kunis boy movie, who could have predicted that ?

Flop doesn't describe this week end, death maybe.

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

By the Sea has been changed to a limited release (aka it's most likely being dumped given that there has been very little promotion for it to begin with).

Ahh, well if anything I could see that weekend being strong enough to do $95 million+.

1. Spectre: $44 million (from $93 million OW) 
  2. The Peanuts Movie: $39 million (from $55 million OW) 
  3. The 33: $16.5 million 
  4. Love the Coopers: $10.5 million 
  5. Bridge of Spies: $5.5 million 
  6. The Martian: $5 million
  7. My All-American: $3.5 million
  8. Goosebumps: $3 million 
  9. Burnt: $2.5 million 
  10. Our Brand is Crisis: $1 million 

Yeah Nov 13 will be rough lol :lol: but Nov. 20, 27, 4th (due to GD and MJ2 and Krampus all potentially doing $20 million+), 18th and 25th should all be excellent. 11th will be slow because there's only one major wide release.