druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

For older big blockbusters you can definitely adjust for 3D, expanded IMAX, and expanded PLF. 

But how would you do so?  Different movies do different amounts in 3D, IMAX, and PLF.  If you're adjusting it to the average ticket price, you are adjusting it to IMAX, 3D, and PLF factored in.  If you adjusted it higher than the average ticket price, then you are over adjusting the movie and giving it a bigger advantage over the newer movie you're comparing it to.

26 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

I agree with your rating, but I disagree about Baby Mama to me I thought that movie wasn't really that funny. 

That's kind of what I meant, honestly.  I can watch it because of Fey/Poehler but it's way more miss than hit.

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

But how would you do so?  Different movies do different amounts in 3D, IMAX, and PLF.  If you're adjusting it to the average ticket price, you are adjusting it to IMAX, 3D, and PLF factored in.  If you adjusted it higher than the average ticket price, then you are over adjusting the movie and giving it a bigger advantage over the newer movie you're comparing it to.

Agree to disagree and let's leave it at that. 

58 minutes ago, tokila said:

thanks, mind bringing over Netherlands-Ven too.... 

I am terrrible sorry, but i do not understand that.

27 minutes ago, corngrower87 said:

Agreed. I know I remember following several movies' theatrical runs and the few that did hit $500 million, it seems like it took forever for them to get there. 

BTW, this is my first post. I have enjoyed visiting the forums, and following the box office here for quite a while. Finally I decided to join.

:welcome:

5 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

'Insiders' have a bias. Hollywood will never admit its output is stale and lacking quality, and it will also never admit that piracy has very little to no effect on first run BO performance. It hypes piracy and competition in a bid to deflect from the first point.

wow.... one brush off hand-wave,.... fast jumos to conclusions never mentioned too

Bias pur

and YOU are complaining in other posts about ignored corner stones...?

hmmmm are you one of the very few of the banned ones? Not even interested in that anwer anymore...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

'Insiders' have a bias. Hollywood will never admit its output is stale and lacking quality, and it will also never admit that piracy has very little to no effect on first run BO performance. It hypes piracy and competition in a bid to deflect from the first point.

You do realize that your ticket sales point makes Star Wars numbers even more impressive? 

The fact that it is selling the same amount of tickets as the biggest films in the 90's and some of the largest ones in the 70's and 80's is astounding. Especially considering as you've said that ticket sales aren't as they used to be.

• Like 6

Just now, Orestes said:

Who was that guy who kept crapping on Avengers numbers? He was the best.

RTX! I remember cuz his name was only one letter away from Rth and people kept confusing the 2

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

Just don't forget how many people lived in usa in 80s and how many lives now...

1) TPM was '99.

2) Any population increase is of course offset by the increasing competition since '99 including on demand, more television channels, an even larger video game market, tablets, smart phones, etc.

3) Overall ticket sales have fallen in '99 so even with the population increase, it only makes it more impressive when you can sell tickets on a massive scale.

4) USA Population in 2000: 282.2 million.  USA population in 2010: 309.3 million. 27.1 million is a lot of people, yes, but not enough to make your point especially due to points 2 and 3.

• Like 6

Repeating my simple analysis of using BOM's adjusted numbers and subtracting newer films to see where blockbusters were on the all-time adjusted list after their second weekend:

TFA - #47

JW - #104

SM2 - #109

Avengers - #114

TPM - #118

TDK - #123

SM - #124

ROTS - #127

DMC - #148

ROTK - #151

T:ROTF -#156

AOTC looked to be around #170 on the adjusted list at the time.

"I know TFA is doing historically great numbers in an era when historically great numbers no longer happen. But I'd like to take this opportunity to posit that these dang kids and their dang cruddy newfangled movies are the reason ticket sales are universally way way down, not all of these other factors that have actually been proven to attract viewers away from cinemas"

• Like 10

So when a movie is crushing Records most days of the week, opening weekend, first Sunday, previews, and is fastest to a billion and so on and so on, what part of that is not impressive? And to use your turn, wettng yourself, what would cause you to wet yourself if this isn't?

• Like 15

To all those doubting $900M+, here's the deal:

The 2nd Week-end of the latest big blockbusters, Jurassic World and Avengers (1st one), had their second week-ends = ~15.6% of their total gross

(In fact, no movie with a second week-end greater than 60 M had a total gross of more than 20% of their second week-end)

So, applying those numbers to Star Wars we get

$153,522,000 / 0.156

= $984,115,384

And that's assuming Star Wars follows Jurassic World and Avengers. It's much more hyped up than them, at least I think, but that's for another day...

source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/moreweekends.htm?page=2&p=.htm

Let's calculate Star Wars's total with Avatar's second week-end-to-total ratio, for fun.

153,522,000 / 0.101

= 1,520,019,802

• Like 3