Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

100 pages?! Yeah, I'm not reading that. :lol: 

Most of it is people melting down that Rylance got the Oscar over Stallone. 

I still don't get how that was a huge snub, Stallone would have been a worthy winner but Rylance was just as (if not moreso) deserving.

• Like 1

Mot people are annoyed at Rylance because they probably have no idea who he is if they didn't see BoS. Stupid mentality, but there you go. His win was probably the only surprising one of the night (I don't really count Best Song as a meaningful category, as this year's winner proved).

EDIT: I see a lot of people actually expected the Revenant to win BP. I was definitely not one of those people.

Edited by Hatebox

6 hours ago, Jessie said:

Yeah they get it wrong most years lol, it becomes expected hence most normal people couldn't give a fuck about the Oscars.

Even if you subscribe to the dodgy mentality that the Academy should simply award the most popular films (why, exactly?) The Revenant had more than enough people who couldn't stand it.

Edited by Hatebox

12 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Sam Smith winning was a real joke.

Lady Gaga deserved that one 10x more than him

Hate the Smith song but glad Gaga didn't win. She's already been unbearably worthy this past year and I'm not sure the planet could endure another inflation of her ego.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Makes sense, with the controversy and a BP line up that most people didn't care about.  They missed out by not nominating any of Compton, Creed, Inside Out, or SW

the audience was bored by the political overtones of Chris Rock jokes and doing them over and over and over and over and over again didn't help as proved by TV ratings

Despite a high-rated first half-hour from viewers curious about Chris Rock’s monologue, the Oscars are currently at 9.7,, down from 2015.  Last year’s Oscars (hosted by Neil Patrick Harris) averaged a 10.1 adult 18-49 fast national rating from 8:30-11:00 pm and went up to an 11.0 for the full telecast in the official nationals.  The 2014 Oscars (hosted by Ellen DeGeneres) averaged a 12.1 fast national rating from 8:30-11:00 and went up to a 13.1 official rating for the whole telecast.  Because of the frontloaded first half-hour, this year’s show might not lift as much as the prior few years, which had a more stable rating throughout the course of the show (even past 11 pm).  TheOSCARS OPENING CEREMONY 90-minute pre-show is currently at 5.9.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-ratings-2-28-2016.html

As for "BP line up that most people didn't care about" the movies nominated for BP made, in average, more than any other year except 2012,2010 and 2009 in the last 10 years.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?yr=2015&view=fulldetail&p=.htm

So, let's not fabricate a story here.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goffe said:

the audience was bored by the political overtones of Chris Rock jokes and doing them over and over and over and over and over again didn't help as proved by TV ratings

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-sunday-ratings-2-28-2016.html

As for "BP line up that most people didn't care about" the movies nominated for BP made, in average, more than any other year except 2012,2010 and 2009 in the last 10 years.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/oscar/chart/?yr=2015&view=fulldetail&p=.htm

So, let's not fabricate a story here.

You also need to adjust to inflation, also 2013 also made more.

It barely beat out last year, 2011 had bad ratings and before that inflation kicks in.

32 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You also need to adjust to inflation, also 2013 also made more.

It barely beat out last year, 2011 had bad ratings and before that inflation kicks in.

Actually, that's wrong. You can do the calculations yourself.

Also, I had forgotten that 2016 BP nominees didn't finish their runs yet (last year the post awards bump was around 48m, increasing the average by 6m).

pre post-awards bump
screenshot_43.png

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I don't think Tele even hated The Revenant (in fact I think he said he liked it but didn't love it). He just hates Inarritu lol.

On one hand, I'm kinda pissed that he also won this year when Linklater should've won last year (Boyhood still deserved Best Picture over Birdman FYI). But whatever. At least my adolescent hero Leo is finally an Oscar winner and that's all that matters.

Worst win of the night is by far Sam Smith. And I thought it would be difficult to top Alicia Vikander's win (since The Danish Girl is such a lousy movie that I'm embarrassed for poor Lili Elbe that it's now going to go down as the definitive portrait of her legacy).

Edited by filmlover

i've seen the revenant 3 times now and it gets better with each viewing , the movie is poetry in motion and i notices much more stuff this time !

it should have won best pic !! i've seen spotlight once and i don't care to see it again but i'm not upset who cares

LEO FRAKKING WON AN OSCAR life is beautiful , he's beautiful , kate is beautiful they're beautiful etc etc their babies will be beautiful some days in a far future or in an alternate universe they're multi oscar winners by now and have 3 kids and are the super power couple of hollywood 

I have to wonder if Spotlight won by like 5 votes or something.

Well as I said earlier it is the first film since Greatest Show on Earth to have won only 2 Oscars to win BP!

More I think about it-the less impressed I am with last night, Chris Rock wasn't as bad as he could of been, but he wasn't someone who I would ask to come back.

Edit: BTW you have to wonder last night-did NOBODY know about the time limit for speeches or something? They kept on dragging on and on after "Kill the Wabbit" was being played!

35 minutes ago, ladyevenstar22 said:

i've seen the revenant 3 times now and it gets better with each viewing , the movie is poetry in motion and i notices much more stuff this time !

it should have won best pic !! i've seen spotlight once and i don't care to see it again but i'm not upset who cares

LEO FRAKKING WON AN OSCAR life is beautiful , he's beautiful , kate is beautiful they're beautiful etc etc their babies will be beautiful some days in a far future or in an alternate universe they're multi oscar winners by now and have 3 kids and are the super power couple of hollywood 

I mean, really. You're on Marriage #3, Kate. If you get divorced, #4 can't be anyone but Leo.

• Like 2