Opening Weekend: $10,700,000
Domestic: $35,800,000
Worldwide: $64,200,000

The Witch

Release Date: February 19th, 2016

Opening Weekend: $8,800,000
Domestic: $25,000,000
Worldwide: $39,300,000

I'm so glad The Boy trounced this pretentious sh*t.

Just got back from The Wailing. I am surprised this movie is having a rather long theatrical run.

I enjoyed the movie although it had some flaws.  The last 20 minutes were one of the most nail-biting moments I had in theaters. 

I thought THE WAILING was great, but it didn't completely blow me away. Still one of the better horror films of the last couple of years. And it's always refreshing to see horror that's weird and unpredictable, and with a focus on building dread and atmosphere instead of easy jump scares.

B+

Edited by The Stingray

On 08/06/2016 at 6:39 PM, Taylor said:

Great poster for Viral, which was supposed to come out in February but was pulled. Poster says RADiUS is releasing now, so probably going VOD/limited theatrical.

eh8QU4T.jpg

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/172872/viral-goes-viral-august/

Spread the word that an epidemic is coming. The heart-pounding thriller Viral will be released on DVD August 2, 2016, from Anchor Bay Entertainment, Radius-TWC, and Dimension Films and on Digital HD July 29, 2016, and On Demand August 2, 2016, from Starz Digital. 

Happened on a trailer today whilst looking up film reviews. Looks like this did get pushed to VOD/DVD. Not sure how reliable the source is (I pulled it straight from the wikipedia page), but just in case anyone else was vaguely interested in this one.

Considering how profitable and small-risk low budget horror can be I'm surprised studios don't push it more. It is what made Lionsgate big in the first place (that and Tyler Perry movies), before they taking on big franchises. Now they seem to have lost their talent with the horror genre, even though they are looking to get that back (they have 2 low budget horrors and a Madea movie in the next months).   

Their place as the lead studio in the horror industry seems to have been taken by WB. They hit big with that conjuring sequel this year and from the tracking Lights Out looks to be a big hit. And next year they have Annabelle 2 and IT. Both of them could/will be huge. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, James said:

Considering how profitable and small-risk low budget horror can be I'm surprised studios don't push it more. It is what made Lionsgate big in the first place (that and Tyler Perry movies), before they taking on big franchises. Now they seem to have lost their talent with the horror genre, even though they are looking to get that back (they have 2 low budget horrors and a Madea movie in the next months).   

Their place as the lead studio in the horror industry seems to have been taken by WB. They hit big with that conjuring sequel this year and from the tracking Lights Out looks to be a big hit. And next year they have Annabelle 2 and IT. Both of them could/will be huge. 

The guy who Lionsgate promoted put a stop to their horror films for a few years. Now they're in a mess, they're releasing some again. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

The guy who Lionsgate promoted put a stop to their horror films for a few years. Now they're in a mess, they're releasing some again. 

Now they're doing Saw 8. Hopefully we'll get My Bloody Valentine 2 although it's a bit late now.

Not sure when it's coming out in the US, but I thought Mike Flanagan did another great job with Before I Wake. It's a really cool mix of horror and fantasy. Ignore the Spanish reviews on RT (the only ones so far). I think it is going to fair better here.

The CGI monster actually works in it because of the idea it represents. Enjoyed it a lot, thought it had a few creepier visuals then Oculus. I love it when directors play with the idea of dreams though.

Totally cool with him getting a crack at Halloween if that happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Not sure when it's coming out in the US, but I thought Mike Flanagan did another great job with Before I Wake. It's a really cool mix of horror and fantasy. Ignore the Spanish reviews on RT (the only ones so far). I think it is going to fair better here.

The CGI monster actually works in it because of the idea it represents. Enjoyed it a lot, thought it had a few creepier visuals then Oculus. I love it when directors play with the idea of dreams though.

Totally cool with him getting a crack at Halloween if that happens.

I've been looking forward to this but it's been online for a while now and people don't seem to be liking it.

12 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I've been looking forward to this but it's been online for a while now and people don't seem to be liking it.

Yeah I liked it a lot actually. More then The Conjuring 2 actually. The few jump scares it had were pretty effective even though it doesn't have like the timing or tension of something like that.

The CGI monster here was more convincing then Crooked Man. And it makes sense what he represents when it's revealed.

There's some shades of Del Toro at play and that's where the fantasy elements come in. The ending I thought worked though I could see others being dissatisfied. The movie doesn't really spell it all out for you much like Midnight Special (I thought it was better). And some things can't be undone but there's ambiguity there.

The acting is good. Jacob pretty much plays the same character he played in Room. I guess a lot of people didn't like that but it didn't bother me.

The story is definitely original. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

If you do watch it, make sure to go for the more recent DVD release and not the earlier ones. The first releases are way too dark and green tinted. That might be why some aren't liking it. 

Three horror films I watched at TIFF 2015 are coming out this year:

Baskin (???)

February (July 15)

Demon (sept 9)

All solid horror films. Baskin had good visual style. Somewhat gory as well.

February was a slow movie, and tbh I didn't really understand it. From what I remember, it could be about girl's sexual awakening in a symbolic way. Not much flat-out horror, but more of building atmosphere of the setting

Demon was rather an original take on exorcism. Good cinematography, acting and story. Overall it wasn't just a good horror movie. It was a good movie