grim22

Fast X | May 19 2023 | Part 1 of an epic finale trilogy | Critics say Jason Momoa does a good job

Gonna do this before I forget and the code expires (like with all the blurays I bought before) but I bought F&F 8 movie collection on 4k blu and I got a digital code for all 8. First person to DM me gets it

Edit: it's over

Edited by lorddemaxus

Errr… so this was WAY better than the low-point F9 and the crushing mediocrity of F8. Good and bad: it does everything I expect from this series. I laughed at the action scenes, I laughed at the slower scenes, I laughed at the truly horrendous dialogue. I got my fill.

I believe what’s really hurting the series right now is the CGI. There’s way too many moments in the movie where car stunts that could’ve been done practically look like something off an Xbox.

HIGH MATINEE.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

Errr… so this was WAY better than the low-point F9 and the crushing mediocrity of F8. Good and bad: it does everything I expect from this series. I laughed at the action scenes, I laughed at the slower scenes, I laughed at the truly horrendous dialogue. I got my fill.

I agree that this one was “so bad it’s good” whereas the last two were “so bad it’s boring”

Mamoa absolutely steals the show. I’d like to think Vin and Lin brought him in expecting the usual gruff villain performance and Mamoa said “screw that, I’m going Jack Sparrow” when cameras started rolling.

Assuming the follow up film(s?) get made, it shouldn’t be that hard to reduce the budget; just write an actual script with a real story and character scenes to supplement action scenes that don’t need constant explosions to drive up tension. Oh, and cut the credited cast down from 20 to maybe 12.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’d like to think Vin and Lin brought him in expecting the usual gruff villain performance and Mamoa said “screw that, I’m going Jack Sparrow” when cameras started rolling.

Assuming the follow up film(s?) get made, it shouldn’t be that hard to reduce the budget; just write an actual script with a real story and character scenes to supplement action scenes that don’t need constant explosions to drive up tension. Oh, and cut the credited cast down from 20 to maybe 12.

This flies in the face of everything I enjoy about this franchise. Everytime the the 'Nu F&F' (post F4) films try to add 'real' story and character these films clunk out (as evident during Vin's horrid dramatic scenes and flashbacks in F8 and F9). 

This franchise is at its best when they fully embrace the ridiculous, the intelligence insulting display of excessive stunts and gimmicks - big budget action at its most raw. For me, they fulfill the promise of what Michael Bays Transformers sold to the audience, just without the tedious and long comedy routines, repetitive action, and sci-fi nonsense. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, AJG said:

This flies in the face of everything I enjoy about this franchise. Everytime the the 'Nu F&F' (post F4) films try to add 'real' story and character these films clunk out (as evident during Vin's horrid dramatic scenes and flashbacks in F8 and F9). 

This franchise is at its best when they fully embrace the ridiculous, the intelligence insulting display of excessive stunts and gimmicks - big budget action at its most raw. For me, they fulfill the promise of what Michael Bays Transformers sold to the audience, just without the tedious and long comedy routines, repetitive action, and sci-fi nonsense. 

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head - Vin Diesel is truly atrocious as an actor. He always looks like he's taking a dump when emoting. The only point of difference is whether it's "dump after 3 days of constipation and now relief" or "start of diarrhoea and I'm crying knowing my ass will be on fire for the next 6 hours". He can't carry a serious dramatic plotline, which is why 9 putting so much on him made it truly atrocious. This still has those moments but it's counter-balanced by far crazier action and a truly charismatic villainous performance. 

The movie shines when it embraces the insanity and that's what the last part needs to do. The series is already full-on sci-fi now, so go all out.

Hell, I know some people were saying Universal might be desperate enough to get a cross-over with JW to save both franchises, but I've bene advocating that ever since the end of Fallen Kingdom. Dinosaurs in the wild being rounded up by car-driving meta-humans is just perfection. Honestly, open Fast XI with a Mosasaur coming out of that river and I'm in heaven. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, karlleng said:

Universal execs are a bunch of chumps, to let yourself be bossed around by Vin Diesel for so many years. Its disgusting

Universal execs like money. Vin Diesel makes them money. Its like poetry, it rhymes.