grim22

Fast X | May 19 2023 | Part 1 of an epic finale trilogy | Critics say Jason Momoa does a good job

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Mia made no sense in F9 either. If Cena didn't mention it in dialogue, we would have forgotten that she's supposed to be the sister of Diesel and Cena.

the whole mia thing was what made me think he's pushing for CGI paul walker too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

the whole mia thing was what made me think he's pushing for CGI paul walker too.

He is definitly pushing for that for a while now.

Sources tell THR that Fast 10‘s budget was hitting upwards of the $300 million mark, and that is without any marketing and publicity spend. Over a hundred million of that is for above the line costs, which have ballooned over the years and sees the studio juggling nine and ten figure salaries for actors such as Charlize Theron, whose part has only grown, latest newcomers Jason Momoa and Brie Larson, and veterans Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris and Tyrese Gibson. All those figures pale in comparison to the fees coming Diesel’s way. (Universal declined to comment.)

Diesel had become his own personality to be reckoned with at this point in the Fast franchise. He long ago had become the dominant force and was not afraid to flex his ample muscle. His clash with Dwayne Johnson led the former superstar wrestler to leave the franchise – even rebuffing public outreach. And the writing process for the movies was unorthodox to say the least. Insiders say writers would pen action sequences and Diesel would say “yes” or “no” to them, leaving the director the job to make them fit. Or not, if Diesel changed his mind. “The whole process is a mosaic that never stops moving,” says one insider who has seen up close the making of several Fast movies.

Universal says none of Lin's issues were with the cast or producers. Sure...

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I got a feeling even if the three other directors mentioned were not tied up with othee productions, they would have turned down the job because they just don't need the hassel of dealing with what Diesal has apparrently become.

This movie also seems to be having more then it's share of bad luck. Losing a principal location due to a war;that does not happen very often. It might be headed for out of control budget territory. 

• Like 2

Totally fine with the choice of LOUIS LETTERIER here and yes, there could have been a whooooooooooole lot of worse choices.  And now I'm actually MORE interested in how FASTX turns out.  Actually, I don't know why LETTERIER is not valued a bit more -- someday I will write a paper on this guy and why and how he delivers great genre movies (and of course somehow revived a very '80s Jim Henson property not just with respect and dignity, but natural storytelling magic).  I still think THE INCREDIBLE HULK is, for me, one of the best MCU-branded films to emerge out of the entire endeavor, DANNY THE DOG/UNLEASHED is one of the few interesting western pics that Jet Li did, CLASH OF THE TITANS is a nice update and contains a great MADS MIKKELSEN (but when isn't he great?), THE TRANSPORTER will always be one of the highlights of Jason Statham's career, and NOW YOU SEE ME hits all the right notes for its material.  I haven't seen Letterier's recent Streaming series material, but I can't imagine it is some great dip downward.  I've always liked this guy's tone and aesthetic and I will continue to mention him in good terms.  UNIVERSAL clearly sees his value here, too -- he has experience dealing with "difficult" stars and wrangling big special effects budgets.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 2:48 AM, grim22 said:

Yes, get Vijay Krishna Acharya, let's kill this franchise in the next movie. Sanjay Gadhvi hasn't done much in Bollywood in the past decade either.

Get the Bang Bang, War and upcoming Pathan director on this.

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This is genuinely not a bad idea. Bang Bang, for all it's faults, got the action spot on. And War was genuinely surprisingly good for the movie it was. I expected it to be beyond awful like Baaghi 2 and 3, but was surprised with how much I enjoyed War.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Are they still making this a two-parter? Because they probably shouldn’t. 

I think we should stop asking this question and see if they finish making this one, first. 😁 

But no, I'd bet on FASTX being the end.  

Edited by Macleod

9 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Bang Bang was good for its time but War lost me at some of the stupidly overlong action sequences. If anything, Ek Tha Tiger from a decade ago had much better action than it.

17 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I believe it. Vin and Lin are close friends. They vacation together all the time even when he didn't direct the other films.

Edited by Dragon

23 hours ago, Macleod said:

Totally fine with the choice of LOUIS LETTERIER here and yes, there could have been a whooooooooooole lot of worse choices.  And now I'm actually MORE interested in how FASTX turns out.  Actually, I don't know why LETTERIER is not valued a bit more -- someday I will write a paper on this guy and why and how he delivers great genre movies (and of course somehow revived a very '80s Jim Henson property not just with respect and dignity, but natural storytelling magic).  I still think THE INCREDIBLE HULK is, for me, one of the best MCU-branded films to emerge out of the entire endeavor, DANNY THE DOG/UNLEASHED is one of the few interesting western pics that Jet Li did, CLASH OF THE TITANS is a nice update and contains a great MADS MIKKELSEN (but when isn't he great?), THE TRANSPORTER will always be one of the highlights of Jason Statham's career, and NOW YOU SEE ME hits all the right notes for its material.  I haven't seen Letterier's recent Streaming series material, but I can't imagine it is some great dip downward.  I've always liked this guy's tone and aesthetic and I will continue to mention him in good terms.  UNIVERSAL clearly sees his value here, too -- he has experience dealing with "difficult" stars and wrangling big special effects budgets.  

I , also ,liked the 2008 Hulk, but I thought that Clash of the Titans sucked, 

I just don't buy he is some kind of underated autrur director. Like most journeyman directors, he made some good movies, some bad one.  He seems to totally script dependent, he cannot take a mediocre or weak script and actuallly make something out of it.

AGreed his expereince with big budgets and abiltiy with action ....and that he can probably handle diva stars like Diesal...is what got him this gig.

But if this should underperform given the huge budget...more then a FF film should have IMHO, he is going to be the scape goat.

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But if this should underperform given the huge budget...more then a FF film should have IMHO, he is going to be the scape goat.

Doubt it.  He was hired specifically because he's proven he can come into a "problematic" project and handle it -- no matter what happens with this, the industry and agencies will not blame him.  They all know this is a tough, thankless gig.  And yes, I hope he gets compensated appropriately! 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2