grim22

Fast X | May 19 2023 | Part 1 of an epic finale trilogy | Critics say Jason Momoa does a good job

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

You see its about the themes. This saga has meaningfull things to say about family and ...

... and cars ... ?

Yeah mainly FAMILY.

It hasn't had anything meaningful to say about family in a while as well. Furious 7 did to an extent due to real world events.

Someone should ask Lin what he was thinking with the staging of the conversation at the end of Furious 6.

I'm still trying to figure out when it was that Vin became arguably the main creative voice behind these movies given that his career outside of these movies is Flop City. Only thing I can think of is that he was so broken up after Walker's death during the middle of making Furious 7 that he refused to come back to the set unless he was promised almost complete control over these movies going forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm still trying to figure out when it was that Vin became arguably the main creative voice behind these movies given that his career outside of these movies is Flop City. Only thing I can think of is that he was so broken up after Walker's death during the middle of making Furious 7 that he refused to come back to the set unless he was promised almost complete control over these movies going forward.

I think he's pretty much had control over it since the fourth one when he became a producer on it. I think the fact that it's his only big thing at this point is probably why he's so controlling about it, and the ego's gotten worse ever since it made the jump from a moderately successful B-tier franchise to a billion dollar endeavour. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think he's pretty much had control over it since the fourth one when he became a producer on it. I think the fact that it's his only big thing at this point is probably why he's so controlling about it, and the ego's gotten worse ever since it made the jump from a moderately successful B-tier franchise to a billion dollar endeavour. 

Only thing I can think of which compares to this is Bruce Willis being overly protective of Die Hard to such an extent that he refused to do callbacks. In Die Hard 5, they had situations set up similar to the first movie and Willis had to say "Shoot the glass" or "thank God we are wearing shoes" after shooting the glass but he completely refused to do that saying it wasn't a good idea. 

The making of Die Hard 5 called "Making it hard to die" which is a special feature only on the Blu Ray is full of stuff like that. They had to film the villains death when Willis was not on set because they wanted to stage it similar to Gruber's death and Willis was adamantly against it.

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Only thing I can think of which compares to this is Bruce Willis being overly protective of Die Hard to such an extent that he refused to do callbacks. In Die Hard 5, they had situations set up similar to the first movie and Willis had to say "Shoot the glass" or "thank God we are wearing shoes" after shooting the glass but he completely refused to do that saying it wasn't a good idea. 

The making of Die Hard 5 called "Making it hard to die" which is a special feature only on the Blu Ray is full of stuff like that. They had to film the villains death when Willis was not on set because they wanted to stage it similar to Gruber's death and Willis was adamantly against it.

I think Bruce was right in that instance. Die Hard 5 was terrible, but obnoxiously self referential humour wouldn’t have helped it.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

huh, that’s strange since that seems like good instincts get Die Hard 5 is arguably one of the worst blockbusters ever made 

Re: that weird shot/scene from Fast 6 -- there could (and probably were) all kinds of things at play, here -- I wouldn't put all this back on Lin.  It could be something that had to or chose to repurpose in Editing -- it could be Vin's influence -- it could even be a CG-edit!  But yes, the perspective does work purposefully in terms of character, even if it looks "weird" to some.  

It's clear that Lin has finally walked away due to reaching an impasse with Diesel (knowing what we know of his reputation and ego), as we've never heard much about any disagreements Lin's ever had with the studio.  But doing it a week into production and not six weeks before it means there's something intense that really went down.  Or Lin was lying to himself and simply thought "I can deal with Vin one more time..." and couldn't! 😅

Edited by Macleod

3 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Re: that weird shot/scene from Fast 6 -- there could (and probably were) all kinds of things at play, here -- I wouldn't put all this back on Lin.  It could be something that had to or chose to repurpose in Editing -- it could be Vin's influence -- it could even be a CG-edit!  But yes, the perspective does work purposefully in terms of character, even if it looks "weird" to some.  

It's clear that Lin has finally walked away due to reaching an impasse with Diesel (knowing what we know of his reputation and ego), as we've never heard a peep about any disagreements Lin's ever had with the studio.  But doing it a week into production and not six weeks before it means there's something intense that really went down.  Or Lin was lying to himself and simply thought "I can deal with Vin one more time..." and couldn't! 😅

Not sure that's entirely true, he did drop out of Furious 7 due to disagreements with the studio, less so for creative reasons but more for logistics.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Not sure that's entirely true, he did drop out of Furious 7 due to disagreements with the studio, less so for creative reasons but more for logistics.

Ah, that's right.  I corrected my wording from "peep" to "much." 

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

At times? The entire film was worse if you ask me. Watch Fast Five and F9 back to back and they’re almost as far removed from each other as The Fast & The Furious and Fast Five were, but instead of fun OTT action that felt relatively grounded you get nonsensical CGI car chases through CGI jungles and flying cars. I actually turned F9 off half way through. I don’t blame Lin for wanting out given the direction they’re heading.

The fact that Vin Diesel thinks this is some grand cinematic saga for the ages will never not be hilarious to me.

F9 feels like a parody movie of the franchise lol. The original and Tokyo Drift are still the best ones imo.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

F9 feels like a parody movie of the franchise lol. The original and Tokyo Drift are still the best ones imo.

I actually liked Hobbs & Shaw, it at least knew that it was a stupid action movie and had fun with it. F9 was so po-faced and self serious that it was unintentionally comical. The only bit that amused me was Tyrese talking about how he thought they were invincible.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

When watching F9 I was wondering why the hell John Cena’s villain had to be some long lost brother of Toretto. Probably Vin’s idea since he probably thought it added more “drama” and “weight”

Genuinely my favorite thing about F9 is when Vin's character becomes omnipotent and is able to view his own memories in alternate angles. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

It's clear that Lin has finally walked away due to reaching an impasse with Diesel (knowing what we know of his reputation and ego), as we've never heard much about any disagreements Lin's ever had with the studio.  But doing it a week into production and not six weeks before it means there's something intense that really went down.  Or Lin was lying to himself and simply thought "I can deal with Vin one more time..." and couldn't! 😅

Break ups between stars and directors who have worked  together for a long time are usually  pretty ugly.

Gene Kelly and Stanley Donan come  to mind. They made a number of very sucessful musicals climaxing with "Singing In The Rain" but after that they begun to quarrel, and by the end of  1954 were not speaking to each other.

What is interesting is that Kelly's career begun to decline after his last film with Donan "It's Always Fair Weather" but Donan went on to a very sucessful career as a director without Kelly.

I still think Diesel is a unknown quantity as a director..he has only done a short film....and the studio is not going to give a expensive technically demanding film to a first time feature film director.

They will probably bring in an action director to do it, who will petty much  cater to what Diesel wants,is better then Diesel would be at actully getting it on film.

I don't think Lin will suffer. He will be getting plenty of offers.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Rooting for Vin for Director so I can personally witness the disaster

He can't replace Lin due to DGA rules. Anyone already contracted on a movie can't become the director. The rule was put into place to prevent actors from taking over the director's job if they didn't like how production was going.

For Vin to direct, they would have to dissolve the current LLC set up for F10, eat the costs already incurred as a loss, open a new LLC for F10 and get everyone to sign new contracts for that movie and hope they don't ask for a raise knowing they have the studio by the balls and then make Vin director.

Easier thing would be to get a yes-man to do whatever Vin wants.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He can't replace Lin due to DGA rules. Anyone already contracted on a movie can't become the director. The rule was put into place to prevent actors from taking over the director's job if they didn't like how production was going.

For Vin to direct, they would have to dissolve the current LLC set up for F10, eat the costs already incurred as a loss, open a new LLC for F10 and get everyone to sign new contracts for that movie and hope they don't ask for a raise knowing they have the studio by the balls and then make Vin director.

Easier thing would be to get a yes-man to do whatever Vin wants.

Damn you Clint Eastwood!