WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Awful for Zoolander 2. It will be lucky if it does 20M over the 4 day weekend. How to be Single should do 25M or so on the 4 day weekend.

Nope, FOX is never gonna let those go. I still think they will try one more time with F4.

Deadpool 2 is gonna be in 3D and open in the Summer. Gambit is gonna get fast tracked. What other characters are there that can get movies of their own? Sunspot? Colossus? :P 

I'm not sure a Gambit film is going to do well. Deadpool had the advantage of being R rated and balls to the walls crazy. The X-Men series is popular enough that Fox don't need to pander to Marvel. 

Zoolander 2 left it far too soon for a sequel, How to be Single actually did alright considering romcoms aren't doing well at the moment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How did Minions need a better marketing push when DM2 did high-300's?

In my opinion, MINIONS was always going to be a 200m success but its marketing helped it to the 300 territory.

The marketing before and during the release period, not the movie's quality, made the difference.

• Like 1

IM3

Thor 2

CA2

GOTG

AOU

AM

Last 6 Marvel films, all had Thursday night previews.  Previews have made up 37.7% of OD and 10.9% of OW (3-day).  

Eliminating GOTG and AM (summer weekdays so Thursday previews have more potential), previews have made up 28.9% of OD and 8.5% of OW (3-day).  

Again, this shouldn't really follow those patterns given Feb. release/4-day weekend/R-rating.  It probably won't fit into the Marvel framework at all.

• Like 2

What a frickin fantastic number for Deadpool.... color me shocked and my derby smoked....

But seriously - for the other releases did anyone really expect more than 20m 4days from either of them? There was no buzz (of the positive kind anyways) for Zoolander and the RomCom was always going to get a VD boost to offset a low opening day.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

if they called it 2oolander like they were supposed to it would've had at least a 40m opening.

Reviews killed this one (after the unfunny ads). If you want a laugh, go see Deadpool instead of an unnecessary sequel that wasn't worth the wait.

• Like 1

Just now, Rman823 said:

So what are people's predictions for Gambit ? 

Depends on the marketing. I think it will safely open to 40m+ in any month but anything higher than that has to be something special. What has set apart films like Deadpool and GOTG  from flops is the marketing. 

2 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm so fucking happy right now that I can barely work. I'm jamming to X is gonna give it to ya and spinning my chair right now. This is ridiculous. :lol:

oh there is another rap song on there that I can't wait for it to show up online that was friggin hilarious. :P 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's funny how we're looking at prime examples of how fanboy-driven marketing is looking to pay off (Deadpool) and how it's not (Zoolander 2) this weekend.

It's very interesting how Deadpool is going massive because it wanted to please hardcore fans. It wouldn't have been so irreverent and graphic otherwise. X-Men Origins' Deadpool proves that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goffe said:

yelp, those numbers

the humanity had a good run

Watch Deadpool get a higher RT percentage than half the Harry Potter movies.

hJa9xiL.gif

Actually, All HP films have better average rating than Deadpool.

Anyway, I fail to see why that actually matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The47th said:

It's very interesting how Deadpool is going massive because it wanted to please hardcore fans. It wouldn't have been so irreverent and graphic otherwise. X-Men Origins' Deadpool proves that.

Well that's because Bryan Singer's X-Men INO fucking suck monkey balls. This is the FIRST film based in the X-Men universe that actually reached the potential that these characters have. Now imagine if people with actual care about the X-Men were in charge. We could be talking about Star Wars numbers, not the poor ugly cousin of the cooler Marvel Cinematic Universe. My wildest dream is to see Apocalypse getting literally scrapped and Fox announcing that Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg will never touch X-Men's universe ever again. The X-Men universe deserves much more than what they are getting, it's ironic how Deadpool from all the franchises is the one that could finally open their eyes to that.

• Like 1