Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

So it has quietly passed F9 domestically without much news about it from press.

It doesn't help the narrative that the film tanked because of Premier Access. If anything, despite Chapek being an idiot, the Premier Access  business model is the only viable model to keep blockbuster filmmaking afloat imho. Will this be a blood bath and kill a lot of movie theater chains? Yes. But the movie theater experience will survive, despite with significant changes.

7 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

It doesn't help the narrative that the film tanked because of Premier Access. If anything, despite Chapek being an idiot, the Premier Access  business model is the only viable model to keep blockbuster filmmaking afloat imho. Will this be a blood bath and kill a lot of movie theater chains? Yes. But the movie theater experience will survive, despite with significant changes.

Dude, you're arguing for a model that literally no other studio has adopted and Disney themselves is abandoning lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

You contradict yourself 3 times in this post 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You contradict yourself 3 times in this post 

Claiming such thing without backing it up in the current context of box office numbers is rich. Please don’t waste my time with ad hominem fallacies that add nothing to the conversation.

18 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Watch it for how long.

It's already been a year since Premier Access was introduced and 5 movies were released with that model. How much longer do you need? Universal introduced their shorter theatrical windows strategy later and other studios have already started adopting variations of it. Premier Access is no different to doing day and date PVOD and no studio has adopted that either. No studio is planning to use WB's day and date streaming strategy either (which, like Disney, they're abandoning for a 45-day window).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

It's already been a year since Premier Access was introduced and 5 movies were released with that model. How much longer do you need? Universal introduced their shorter theatrical windows strategy later and other studios have already started adopting variations of it.

It’s not sustainable. Something gotta go. Despite the Chapek fiasco, Black Widow is still the most successful film of the year. And ignoring what it’s making on Premier Access is a mistake.

Good luck trying to justify a shorter theatrical window with films with the inflated budget they have. Something will have to give, and I don’t see Disney and the other studios giving up on the obvious rising of streaming in light of recent events just to save cinema as we know it.

Also, I fully expect Shang-Chi to get announced as having Premier Access as well.

4 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

It’s not sustainable. Something gotta go. Despite the Chapek fiasco, Black Widow is still the most successful film of the year. And ignoring what it’s making on Premier Access is a mistake.

Good luck trying to justify a shorter theatrical window with films with the inflated budget they have. Something will have to give, and I don’t see Disney and the other studios giving up on the obvious rising of streaming in light of recent events just to save cinema as we know it.

Also, I fully expect Shang-Chi to get announced as having Premier Access as well.

Black widow is not the most successful film of the year. Not even close.

It has the highest domestic box office and highest OW that much is true.

But films like Conjuring 3 and Quiet Place 2 actually you know, made money.

Also F9 has made $640M+ it's by far the highest grossing hollywood film.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Black Widow being the most successful film of the year is just an assumption of yours. The only piece of data we can properly assess (the boxoffice) doesn't even quite back that up. I mean most of the smaller-budget horror releases this summer have been pretty successful (with a better ROI than Black Widow).

And you literally say the problem is inflated budgets. Idk, but maybe you should be thinking about how studios will fix that instead of a model clearly no studio is passionate for.

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Black widow is not the most successful film of the year. Not even close.

It has the highest domestic box office and highest OW that much is true.

But films like Conjuring 3 and Quiet Place 2 actually you know, made money.

Also F9 has made $640M+ it's by far the highest grossing hollywood film.

I'm talking money. Not pure box office numbers. I just don't see the other models as sustainable as Disney's. The battleground is in streaming now, regardless how much we might hate that. Old rules and China inflated numbers aren't as important as streaming growth and what it does on the Premier Access model.

42 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Black Widow being the most successful film of the year is just an assumption of yours. The only piece of data we can properly assess (the boxoffice) doesn't even quite back that up. I mean most of the smaller-budget horror releases this summer have been pretty successful (with a better ROI than Black Widow).

And you literally say the problem is inflated budgets. Idk, but maybe you should be thinking about how studios will fix that instead of a model clearly no studio is passionate for.

I don't see studios fighting for a dying business with streaming blooming. That's the current battleground. I don't like what I am saying either, but whatever assumptions we have about box office data isn't that important anymore imho.

Edited by Alligator Zatt

4 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I don't see studios fighting for a dying business with streaming blooming. That's the current battleground. I don't like what I am saying either, but whatever assumptions we have about box office data isn't that important anymore imho.

Streaming is blooming for just one traditional studio. And studios are clearly intending on keeping theatrical alive with a shorter window based on the decisions they've made. The idea that Premier Access is the one that studios will copy, which again is just day and date PVOD, is backed up by nothing (unless you're a mind-reader).

Also you have no clue the total revenue each movie has made in total. You can't use that as a point.

All we know based on what we actually know is that studios atm

prefer 45-day window over day and date.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Streaming is blooming for just one traditional studio. And studios are clearly intending on keeping theatrical alive with a shorter window based on the decisions they've made. The idea that Premier Access is the one that studios will copy, which again is just day and date PVOD, is backed up by nothing (unless you're a mind-reader).

Good luck with that thinking.

2 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Good luck with that thinking.

Yes, I'm thinking based on the decisions studios are making. Do you have any actual revenue/profit numbers to show that day and date premier access is the most sustainable model that studios will follow? Because they clearly aren't following it regardless of how much you want it, so you got nothing to back up what you're saying.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm thinking based on the decisions studios are making. Do you have any actual revenue/profit numbers to show that day and date premier access is the most sustainable model that studios will follow? Because they clearly aren't following it regardless of how much you want it, so you got nothing to back up what you're saying.

Things are in flux. I’m not a mind reader, I’m just not in denial. A business model that gets the studio money out of people that won’t attend movie theaters during a global pandemic - myself included - is an obvious no brainer. I don’t care about F9, but I’d gladly pay for Premier Access for The Suicide Squad. Things aren’t going back to normal, people won’t be back to movie theaters just because that’s their only option to watch a film. Things changed. And the studios are still adapting. I’m sure that some studios might be more resistant than others, but with the amount of money being made from pure box office numbers compared with Premier Acess plus box office, it’s very hard to justify Universal’s model. I legit think that Shang-Chi is getting on Premier Access too mind you, and with the amount of films that I expect to get delayed to next year, I don’t see how Warner and other studios don’t start following a similar system.

8 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Things are in flux. I’m not a mind reader, I’m just not in denial. A business model that gets the studio money out of people that won’t attend movie theaters during a global pandemic - myself included - is an obvious no brainer. I don’t care about F9, but I’d gladly pay for Premier Access for The Suicide Squad. Things aren’t going back to normal, people won’t be back to movie theaters just because that’s their only option to watch a film. Things changed. And the studios are still adapting. I’m sure that some studios might be more resistant than others, but with the amount of money being made from pure box office numbers compared with Premier Acess plus box office, it’s very hard to justify Universal’s model. I legit think that Shang-Chi is getting on Premier Access too mind you, and with the amount of films that I expect to get delayed to next year, I don’t see how Warner and other studios don’t start following a similar system.

Youre making a pretty terrible comparison between Premier Access+boxoffice of Black Widow and just the box-office of F9 lol. Compare the total revenue (a piece of data you clearly don't have) before saying which one is more sustainable. At the very least include the revenue F9 gets from a releasing on PVOD two months earlier (oh wait, you don't have that either).

I think it's pretty clear you think studios will adopt premier access merely because it's the one you like most. You don't have any comparable data that backs you up. Most importantly none of the studios are making decisions that back you up. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

Youre making a pretty terrible comparison between Premier Access+boxoffice of Black Widow and just the box-office of F9 lol. Compare the total revenue (a piece of data you clearly don't have) before saying which one is more sustainable. At the very least include the revenue F9 gets from a releasing on PVOD two months earlier (oh wait, you don't have that either).

I think it's pretty clear you think studios will adopt premier access merely because it's the one you like most. 

Let’s see how the market reacts. I legit think that Black Widow was just the beginning. Other studios will follow suit next year, namely WB.