Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Just now, Alligator Zatt said:

Let’s see how the market reacts. I legit think that Black Widow was just the beginning. Other studios will follow suit next year, namely WB.

It's already been a month since both Black Widow and F9 released. How long you gonna wait for the market to react? And WB has already made a deal with theaters for a 45-day window. It's hard to back out of deals like that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's already been a month since both Black Widow and F9 released. How long you gonna wait for the market to react? And WB has already made a deal with theaters for a 45-day window. It's hard to back out of deals like that.

This is a pointless back and forth, this situation is beyond our control, and I include in this ‘our’ theater chains and movie studios as well.

Also, let me make quite clear: I hate the box office + premier access model. It's not about this being a personal preference, but a realistic look at the current landscape. The scenario would be completely different if there was proof that the 45 window release works, but you know why I know it will fail? The biggest competitor to viewership today is called streaming, and Netflix releases all their poorly polished joints there. The battleground for viewership and well, money, it's there currently, and it won't go away anytime soon. If anything the global pandemic just escalated that process ten to twenty years. To the very cinematic experience to survive, streaming is now a necessary evil. Otherwise you will get fairly less budget stuff direct to streaming, not even having a theatrical release at all.

Agree with you @lorddemaxus I think PA is dead (although I know to never say never in the pandemic) it just doesn't offset losses from theatrical and if Disney wants to grow streaming they would be better doing what HBO Max has with Day and Date and just jack the price up in US, Canada, Western Europe, ANZ, Japan etc. by $2 (HBO Max had no pricing power as their sub cost is already high plus Disney has the strongest general audience slate of any of the studios) they would make a hell of a lot more money and would add more users in Hotstar markets as they would actually get the films the same day instead of no option to purchase. I mean if they want to do a Netflix and add $2B worthy of spend for blockbusters they only need the roughly 60-70m in those higher income regions to make an extra $2.50 a month plus whatever they make in the theatres is a bonus like Jat has said in the past and thats recurring money not a one off payment that presumably less than 5% of the available user base make (PA)

Also sorry I didn't answer your question the other day about Shang-Chi (it seemed to get pretty heated in the thread by the time I saw your mention) the reason Disney would announce that would be to cover up financials or a bad story (scarjo) but covering up the scarjo story with a Shang-Chi PA announcement would not work well during the Q&A section lol

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, andersonhoran said:

Scarlett was right all long, if they kept the release theaters only it would probably be at +200M domestic by now + 500M ww with China :poker:

If they kept the release theater they would still not have China... So as hard as Disney dropped the ball with her contract that is not true.

Just now, andersonhoran said:

Could have had China if they had released it in May.

july and aug are black out periods, now with that much piracy going on right now, if disney even wants a china release date , it will be probably around sept or late aug

12 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This was always gonna be her last. They even said in press interviews about passing the baton to Pugh's character as the new Black Widow

Yep. This is meant to be Johansson’s swan song and Pugh making her debut. 

3 minutes ago, JWR said:

Yep. This is meant to be Johansson’s swan song and Pugh making her debut. 

That's a bummer about this franchise strangled at the cradle, would've been a potentially fun franchise for Pugh to front. Sa la vie...

183M DOM - $110M to Disney

200M OS - $85M to Disney

$195M Theatrical returns

~$100M Disney+ PA to Disney

$295M returns

Assuming TV revenue & whatever Home Media this make will take care of release cost of probably ~$110M & overheads/interest.

Disney will probably break even thanks to Disney+ PA. 

• Like 4

Maybe PA wasn't that frontloaded afterall.

"and according to the latest filing, as of Aug. 15, Black Widow has grossed more than $367 million in worldwide box-office receipts and more than $125 million in streaming and download retail receipts."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-makes-first-move-in-scarlett-johanssons-black-widow-suit-1235001093/

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe PA wasn't that frontloaded afterall.

"and according to the latest filing, as of Aug. 15, Black Widow has grossed more than $367 million in worldwide box-office receipts and more than $125 million in streaming and download retail receipts."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-makes-first-move-in-scarlett-johanssons-black-widow-suit-1235001093/

Didn’t it hit normal digital sites on August 10th? So we won’t know how much of it is PA. 

• Like 3