Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

Everyone at the top of their game always has multiple projects in the burner; it's all about which one gets the greenlight and funding to go ahead fully.  There are announcements like this every day for filmmakers; some materialize, some don't.  This could be her next project, or we could hear next week that Marvel has signed her and that Black Widow is a greenlight.  I wouldn't be surprised at either.  But I'm a big fan of Asante's work; would love to see her get this job, if the movie happens.  On the other hand, part of me would feel like she's wasting her talents on Marvel fluff. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Everyone at the top of their game always has multiple projects in the burner; it's all about which one gets the greenlight and funding to go ahead fully.  There are announcements like this every day for filmmakers; some materialize, some don't.  This could be her next project, or we could hear next week that Marvel has signed her and that Black Widow is a greenlight.  I wouldn't be surprised at either.  But I'm a big fan of Asante's work; would love to see her get this job, if the movie happens.  On the other hand, part of me would feel like she's wasting her talents on Marvel fluff. 

I agree partly.

However, it always makes me happy when a director I love gets a bigger platform and increases their industry clout, even if it is thanks to fluff.

I hope that she gets the gig not just because I would love a woman to direct BW (and a black woman at that), but because this talented black woman deserves to become better known.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hades said:

:hahaha:  might as well give Maria Hill  and Sharon Carter their own solos..Everyone gets a solo...

Marvel Studios/Disney is essentially being bullied into making this movie.  There.  I said it. 

32 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Marvel Studios/Disney is essentially being bullied into making this movie.  There.  I said it. 

Yeah I'm sure marvel is really being forced to do this "Oh no! we don't want to make this movie, that could make us tons of money and the fans are crying to see, but we have to because they made us!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

That would make more sense if they would leaked something in the media, talk that they are readyto do it but Marvel say no in the trade or leaking some test footage/script, etc....

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

More like Marvel preferring to remain with a old face, not just solo movies starring the new heroes.

This assuming that Iron Man, Cap and Thor will not get more than a trilogy. Can be cool to see Marvel entering into a new phase, but i want one of the original avengers around here, continuing with a important role, and great if is Black Widow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Macleod said:

Nah........but If that all female team-up movie happens, then we can talk about them being forced to do a film

The move caps off a search that lasted over half a year as Marvel met with over 70 or 75 directors in order to find its ideal candidate. A female filmmaker was the priority even as the search stalled at one point and the studio looked at male directors. [..] Shortland, who hails from Australia and does not have agency representation, had a fan in Johansson, who pushed for the helmer. The actress admired Shortland’s handling of the female lead in Lore, a critically acclaimed 2012 drama that told of a young woman who leads her siblings through Germany as the Allied army rolls in.

• Thanks 1

Pfft, The Scarjo and Tom Holland castings are problematic as it takes away the very small amount of roles for actual spiders.

Suprised woke twitter is not up in arms about this.

Edited by AndyK
  • Haha 2