Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

• Like 2

I will cross post what I said on a different board, and hold up, this is going to be a long one. Credits to @Durden, for sharing the tweet that gave me access to the actual interview.

It goes without saying that what she said is tone deaf and that we have the right to be royally pissed off, especially due to her past casting choices. With that said, Vulture also did a real poor job with this article. Why? Vulture never linked to the actual interview that Scarlett gave to the painter / artist David Salle for AS IF Magazine, only linking to the Daily Mail as the source of the interview.

It’s still bad, but I do think that it was somewhat taken out of context:

https://www.asifmag.com/story/scarlett-johansson-david-salle-collaboration-with-as-if-magazine

Yes, it’s obviously a fan account, but it does raise a good question: Vulture, via Daily Mail, seems to have ignored some of the nuances of the conversation, mainly this bit:

Do you think that mode or that generation is still important today?

You know, acting goes through trends. 

Are we seeing an acting trend today?

Hmm… We live in such a weird time that is sort of identity-less in a lot of ways. I don’t know if there’s a trend in performance, but there’s certainly trends in casting right now. Today there’s a lot of emphasis and conversation about what acting is and who we want to see represent ourselves on screen. The question now is, what is acting anyway? 

Right. Who gets to play what roles…

You know, as an actor I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal because that is my job and the requirements of my job. 

Yes. Must you only represent yourself, your gender, your ethnicity, or can you, in fact, play beyond these categories?

There are a lot of social lines being drawn now, and a lot of political correctness is being reflected in art. 

Does that bore you? Annoy you? Buck you up? Cheer you on? I know it’s complicated, there’s probably not one answer.

You know, I feel like it’s a trend in my business and it needs to happen for various social reasons, yet there are times it does get uncomfortable when it affects the art because I feel art should be free of restrictions. What do you think about it David? You’re literally creating art all the time.

We’re seeing a pendulum swing. The pendulum had gone way too far in one direction, and now it’s swinging the other way. We all agree it had to swing; the question now is how far it has to go in the other direction, and how long it will it take to reach a point of equilibrium. I have no idea. Personally, I feel that reactions to certain things in the arts have almost reached a level of mass hysteria, and the criteria by which certain works are being judged are pretty whacky, and yet those reactions seem justified to people of a certain generation. In the visual arts there’s an almost oedipal drive to get rid of the people above you, to elbow them out of your way. And that’s ongoing. I’m not a sociologist, but I think one aspect of the present mood is just the desire to get rid of people who are perceived as having been around too long.

Hmm, that’s interesting.

It’s still bad, tone deaf and entitled, but the full conversation seems way more complex than Vulture and Daily Mail made it sound.

Long story short: We need to do better than the Daily fucking Mail as source, and Scarlett still needs to get her shit together, but it’s more nuanced than what is currently been reported.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zatt Hawkguy Murdock said:

I will cross post what I said on a different board, and hold up, this is going to be a long one. Credits to @Durden, for sharing the tweet that gave me access to the actual interview.

It goes without saying that what she said is tone deaf and that we have the right to be royally pissed off, especially due to her past casting choices. With that said, Vulture also did a real poor job with this article. Why? Vulture never linked to the actual interview that Scarlett gave to the painter / artist David Salle for AS IF Magazine, only linking to the Daily Mail as the source of the interview.

It’s still bad, but I do think that it was somewhat taken out of context:

https://www.asifmag.com/story/scarlett-johansson-david-salle-collaboration-with-as-if-magazine

Yes, it’s obviously a fan account, but it does raise a good question: Vulture, via Daily Mail, seems to have ignored some of the nuances of the conversation, mainly this bit:

It’s still bad, tone deaf and entitled, but the full conversation seems way more complex than Vulture and Daily Mail made it sound.

Long story short: We need to do better than the Daily fucking Mail as source, and Scarlett still needs to get her shit together, but it’s more nuanced than what is currently been reported.

Both are crap journals. Why are you surprised?. 

50 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

And Chris Hemsworth can't open a movie outside the MCU. 

True but he's a hit as Thor because he's handsome af. Pugh is a big downgrade from Scarlett because she's super average looking and has no charisma. I don't care how great an actress she is, she's a female Fassbender. Cold fish.

SH movies thrive on really gorgeous cast. Also, just because someone doesn't like Scarlett's statements, it doesn't mean she's replaceable as BW and by someone who looks like your average grocery store cashier (nothing against grocery store cashiers, just that SH movies require SH looks cause we are talking about above average people), isn't likable in real life for she says stupid entitled shit like "I get naked in movies to BTFO industry types that told me to lose weight". I see why elitists like her but she's never going to fly with GA. BW sequel starring Pugh is gonna drop hard.

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 3
  • Knock It Off 2

33 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

True but he's a hit as Thor because he's handsome af. Pugh is a big downgrade from Scarlett because she's super average looking and has no charisma. I don't care how great an actress she is, she's a female Fassbender. Cold fish.

SH movies thrive on really gorgeous cast. Also, just because someone doesn't like Scarlett's statements, it doesn't mean she's replaceable as BW and by someone who looks like your average grocery store cashier (nothing against grocery store cashiers, just that SH movies require SH looks cause we are talking about above average people), isn't likable in real life for she says stupid entitled shit like "I get naked in movies to BTFO industry types that told me to lose weight". I see why elitists like her but she's never going to fly with GA. BW sequel starring Pugh is gonna drop hard.

Somehow you keep topping yourself as far as bad posts are concerned.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

which florence pugh performances have you actually seen? i think i've got a good guess on the number.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Image result for pushing down gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scarlett just said the truth, she can play everything she wants and i'm here for it. 

Funny how nobody said anything when JARED LETO and EDDIE REDMAYNE both played trans characters, but when it's a woman, oh well...

Edited by andersonhoran
  • Knock It Off 1

I think what Scarlett says is true IF every person was given equal opportunity but that's not the case and I believe that's the point that everyone who agrees with her is missing. Yes an actor/actress's job is to act and take on interesting roles. But until minorities and members of the LGBTQ community are given equal opportunities, then this argument is null and void. The way I look at it is think about how old Hollywood would have men dress up as women in order to play female parts. Technically that's acting. But it was also taking away roles from women when they weren't given much if any roles to begin with. That's where we are at with actresses/actors like Scarlett coming in and taking roles that should be going to minorities and members of the LGBTQ community. Not to mention that Scarlett isn't starving for roles either which adds another layer to her tone deaf comments.

Anyways…..I saw this tweet this morning and I spit out my coffee: 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think what Scarlett says is true IF every person was given equal opportunity but that's not the case and I believe that's the point that everyone who agrees with her is missing. Yes an actor/actress's job is to act and take on interesting roles. But until minorities and members of the LGBTQ community are given equal opportunities, then this argument is null and void. The way I look at it is think about how old Hollywood would have men dress up as women in order to play female parts. Technically that's acting. But it was also taking away roles from women when they weren't given much if any roles to begin with. That's where we are at with actresses/actors like Scarlett coming in and taking roles that should be going to minorities and members of the LGBTQ community. Not to mention that Scarlett isn't starving for roles either which adds another layer to her tone deaf comments.

Anyways…..I saw this tweet this morning and I spit out my coffee: 

Why nobody said anything about Jared Leto or Eddie Redmayne and only praised them? oh yeah, the sexism jumped out once again 

Edited by andersonhoran
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I like that Scarlett said she can play any animal the most tbh. Must still be bitter from that Oscar snub for her transformative work in The Jungle Book.

Considering her best work is still her voice acting in her, that can't be too far from the truth.

1 minute ago, andersonhoran said:

Why nobody said anything about Jared Leot or Eddie Redmayne and only praised them? oh yeah, the sexism jumped out once again 

They did though. Eddie Redmayne flat out apologized for taking the role in a retrospective of his career, they were only accepted then because more progress has been made since then.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, andersonhoran said:

Why nobody said anything about Jared Leto or Eddie Redmayne and only praised them? oh yeah, the sexism jumped out once again 

I am 99.9% sure that if either one of them took on the role today they would receive backlash for it. Just because they did something during a time when society had their backs turned to these situations, doesn't mean that actors/actresses should continue on and claim "well so and so did it so I should be able to!" 

And as far as I know, they've been called out for taking on the roles today so…..

Edited by Nova