Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Same. Scarlett opened Lucy and they didn't make a BW movie then even though she deserved to be the first female lead with a solo series. And now a solo BW movie is only a set up for another actress to continue in the role despite Scarlett earning the right to have a solo franchise. It isn't fair. It also isn't fair that they didn't know WTF to do with Thor until recently and now that everyone is raving about him they are taking the franchise away from Chris, who worked his butt of, in favor of Natalie who created problems on the set with her demands and then decision not to come back. C'mon, seriously, I don't get people who cannot be at least sympathetic to Scarlett and Chris. Like, good for Natalie that she got her way by standing her ground but Marvel is doing it at the expense of another actor who really worked hard for it. Like, anything they threw his way he took it like a pro. Slighted in Avengers movies til IW. Turned into a fat joke in EG. All the inconsistency with his character. Demolishing his character arc by giving the throne to Valkyrie. Etc. I don't recall his complaining ever about it but maybe that was a mistake. It's a tough business, doesn't pay off to play it nice.

Natalie didn't cause problems, studio fuckery did.

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Only if she actually tries in the later Thor movies...in #2, she pretty much phoned it in and cashed the check...which was sad to see b/c she's been so good in non-franchise fare (I think she also phoned in some of her later Star Wars work, so she has struggled in these types of franchise roles, for whatever reason)...

Every actor in the SW prequels phoned it in, godawful films with abysmal scripts that couldn't be saved.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Every actor in the SW prequels phoned it in, godawful films with abysmal scripts that couldn't be saved.

Nonsense. Ewan and McDiarmid were fantastic and gave it all. Also, Hayden has caught way too much flack. He's very good in ROTS

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Turned into a fat joke in EG. All the inconsistency with his character. Demolishing his character arc by giving the throne to Valkyrie. Etc. I don't recall his complaining ever about it but maybe that was a mistake. It's a tough business, doesn't pay off to play it nice.

Pretty sure Hemsworth came up with the idea of having Thor gain weight. Your opinions and all, but you keep backing them up with incorrect details. 

• Like 4

I know I've already said this but I want to say it again: I just love the cast for this! I went from being pretty meh on this movie to being pretty hyped for it.

I admit my Florence Pugh crush certainly helps......

I have faith Marvel will convince me yeah this is what I want to see!

Cant lie, right now it’s Marvels Solo.  But shit, I liked Solo well enough.  Didn’t think I would would.

And yes I loved Last Jedi.

Edited by kowhite

The biggest difference between this and Solo, besides the fact that the character will be played by the originator of the role, is that I actually do want to see this. At no point, pre- or post-Last Jedi (which I did not hate, either), did I ever actually have a desire to eventually see Solo when it came out. I wasn’t even enthusiastic when Lord and Miller were still on board.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Deja23 said:

Pretty sure Hemsworth came up with the idea of having Thor gain weight. Your opinions and all, but you keep backing them up with incorrect details. 

Yes Hemsworth himself wanted a change. He and Russo talked about his character. @Valonquar you are way too obsessed with your own ideas that you even reject factual details

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

taking the franchise away from Chris,

I would heavily suspect that he is continuing has much has he want to be (not sure why to think otherwise)?

Was it not just a case of not wanting to recommit to some contract that leave the door open to a very filled and long schedule:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2302081/marvels-chris-hemsworth-is-taking-a-break-from-acting

"I think I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time, which is awesome to say, in my mid-30s, and also I have a 5-year-old daughter," she said. "The character is an extension of me in a lot of ways. And you know, I never could've done this film 10 years ago. I think as I've grown over these years, I feel much more comfortable getting kind of dirty and digging deep, and I think the film will benefit because of it."

There have been a lot of scenes and talk about the character's past involvement with her beloved friend Hawkeye, who saved her life when he was sent to kill her, so will Jeremy Renner be making an appearance here? It was also confirmed he was his own series on Disney+.

"Oh my God, that's when you see the tranq gun come out," she joked about keeping her lips "sealed" for Marvel. "We have a lot of surprises up our sleeves ... Up our Gauntlet."

• Like 5

On 21 July 2019 at 5:35 PM, Valonqar said:

Nonsense. Ewan and McDiarmid were fantastic and gave it all. Also, Hayden has caught way too much flack. He's very good in ROTS

Ewan is visibly an absolutely broken man, especially in Attack of the Clones. To spend literally an entire film, an ENTIRE film up to the point his mentor dies without a single identifiable objective is utterly unplayable and soul crushing. And there was no going back after that. He gave up with Phantom Menace as any actor would with that material.

McDiarmid is the exception that proves the rule in the prequels. He doesn't care about the awful scrip, leans into it, decides its a ludicrous panto, and just goes for it. It also doesn't hinder him that he has the one and only decent duologue in the whole trilogy, and is the only character who has a consistent and defined objective (as his was the only one that was inherently predetermined) in the whole series of films.

But no, other than McDiarmid, there isn't a single other competent performance in the prequels. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Ewan did a good job, even if he was handicapped by the directing. SLJ made do with what he had, and I commend him for being allowed/able to play against type even if the result is dull.

Christopher Lee as Count Dooku could be the biggest disappointment, IMO. He acts like he’s sleepwalking, a complete 180 from the performance Peter Jackson was able to get out of him as Saruman. This has to be Lucas’ fault, you can’t put it down to age when he had just knocked it out of the park for another director. (Of course, he then proceeded to be just as lethargic as Saruman in the Hobbit movies, but he was older and in poorer health and only a couple years from death so I’ll give it a pass.)

Edited by TServo2049

Dooku was poor replacement for Maul who had nothing to do but had the perfect physicality for the role and iconic design. Dooku was just fan service casting I guess. It shouldn't have been such an old actor and slapping his face on a young stuntman who did somersaults was ridiculous.

• Like 1

Concept art looks good. Can always trust in Andy Park to deliver with MCU concept arts.

Descriptions of SDCC footage sounds great. But if I wasn’t already sold on this movie because of Natasha/ScarJo then the impeccable Rachel Weisz sure would have finished the job :wub: 

And btw, why are we discussing Thor 4 and its merit or whatever in the Black Widow thread? 

• Like 2