WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

A 4x for a horror movie isn't happening. Best case scenario is Conjuring legs which isn't likely.

It's far from a straight up horror movie

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Its not doing only 60M weekend. With the Thursday number Dory had, it would need to stay flat on Friday to hit 60M. It follows TS3

23.925M(+37.5%)

30.15M(+25.8%)

25.0M (-16.8%)

79.1M

Yeah, 70m or so is pretty much the absolute floor for this weekend, and that's if it has minuscule Friday and Saturday increases.

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

It's far from a straight up horror movie

Yea I don't know how I would categorize it as. Which is why I feel like the tracking for it is off because I don't think there's a definite answer to where it'll end up at the moment. Add to the fact that its star's last film had a 3.4x multiplier last year off of a 13.5M opening. Granted that one made $500K in previews so I don't know. I think by tonight though, we should have a more definite answer as to where it'll head. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pieman said:

It's funny how everyone was predicting IDR's failure e.g. not crossing 100M but now, that it's doing much better than expected, people are calling it a disappoint.

All we got were the previews, these could translate to a high 30-40m opening, or a 50-60m range opening if there are more walkups and WoM doesn't kill it.  But given that WoM is terrible, it may have an awful weekend multiplier.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yea I don't know how I would categorize it as. Which is why I feel like the tracking for it is off because I don't think there's a definite answer to where it'll end up at the moment. Add to the fact that its star's last film had a 3.4x multiplier last year off of a 13.5M opening. Granted that one made $500K in previews so I don't know. I think by tonight though, we should have a more definite answer as to where it'll head. 

Her last film was a romance, a genre that trends toward higher multipliers

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Her last film was a romance, a genre that trends toward higher multipliers

That is true. Like I said I don't know. But having watched The Shallows it maybe marketed as a horror film but it's really

a good popcorn flick in the middle of summer with the very tense/anxiety inducing moments in it. 

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Independence Day's number is going to be a bit muted given that the studio didn't allow public shows until 8pm and they weren't doing buyouts.  

That, and the fact that no one in the GA seemed to care even a bit about the movie. It will most likely limp over the 100M mark in the end.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

should have gotten The Rock to star in ID4 R

I imagine that meeting went like this:

"Will Smith won't do it, so who's next? Dwayne Johnson is too busy, so is Chris Pratt, so is Channing Tatum. Even Scott Eastwood (Hollywood's New Favorite Hot Guy Who Can't Really Act) isn't available! How about we go with the guy with Chris Hemsworth's younger brother who may or not have been in the Hunger Games movies, I can't remember."

• Like 7