grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

5 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

The forum survived this weekend without imploding...nice job getting along everyone! 

After seeing the movie, it boggles the mind that something so inoffensive and breezy caused so much agony for two years. Lawd.

• Like 5

There is no doom and gloom for Pets.  It's a huge success and no one can take that away.  I'm more of a numbers guy and I love looking inside all the numbers.  I was responding to someone's post about tracking IO and Pets dailies together.  I honestly didn't mean to be doom and gloom.  Who could argue anything but huge success for Pets. I saw Pets a few days ago.  Kids enjoyed a lot.  Wife and I laughed at a couple scenes and were  bored in periods.  We've payed for much worse animated films but it was just OK.  I'm a marketing, numbers and financial guy.  It's what I do everyday and what interests me.  I get caught up in budgets and marketing matching quality and building lasting consumer trust.  

Ill work on not beating a dead horse!!!! ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, The Legend of Tarzan is probably the biggest surprise of the summer. Had the budget not been so astronomical and the reviews been good instead of mediocre, this might have been a promising start to a potential franchise instead of a lucky one-off.

Those two sub 50 drops in a row are very surprising. Didn't expect it to hold that well ESP since Jungle Book was released only a couple months ago.

There are people out there who are hungry for popcorn movies that don't involve superheroes or talking animals. So even though Tarzan doesn't look particularly good, it's benefiting from being an alternative for some. Even I went and saw it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

There are people out there who are hungry for popcorn movies that don't involve superheroes or talking animals. So even though Tarzan doesn't look particularly good, it's benefiting from being an alternative for some. Even I went and saw it. 

I definitely felt that way. Well, I see superhero movies anyway but I didn't have interest in seeing an animated film so Tarzan, ID4, and Central Intelligence were sort of the main options for me.

Of course, I ended up seeing them all. 

Just for the hell of it, take a look at it this way.

Pet's made 104 mill opening weekend. 

By the end of its second weekend, it's grossed 203 million.

That means from it's first Monday to it's second Sunday, it grossed 95% of what it did opening weekend.

Zootopia grossed 75 million in its first weekend.

By the end of the second weekend, it had grossed 143 million.

That's 90% of what it grossed opening weekend.

Jungle Book grossed 103 million OW

By the end of the second weekend, it was at 192 million

This means it grossed 85% of what it did OW.

Inside Out opened to 90 million

By the end of the second weekend it was at 185 million

105% of what it did OW

Finding Dory:  135

111% of the opening weekend.

The Lego Movie:  69 OW

Second weekend total:  130 mill

88% of it's OW

Big Hero 6:  56 OW

110 after two weekends

96% more after first weekend.

Brave:  66 OW

131 second weekend 

98%

So you see my point here.  IO and Dory are definitely the exception, not the rule.  When you have animated films, it isn't necessarily about what they drop in their second weekend, it's the ration of what they did from their first until the second weekend is up.  Dory and IO are freaks, no doubt, but Pets 95% addition is better than both Zootopia and Jungle Book.  So to say that Illumination needs to watch their marketing budget and that they are more frontloaded than other animated films, is false.  The reason it fell 52% this weekend is because the summer weekdays were so strong, it burned off demand.  Where as when you have spring films, they fall less on the weekends because the demand was not met during the week. So Illumination has no misstep.  I have no idea if it will pass Zootopia or catch JB.  I do know, or at least feel that it will get to about Zootopia's number. Regardless of what it does, it's an outstanding success and if you want to chalk part of that up to marketing, then I have no problem with that.  They made Pets the second biggest film of the summer.  That's impressive.  So I'm just pointing out that sometimes, you have to go a little deeper with the numbers if you want to get the real story.  

• Like 16

So I listened to a bit of the GB soundtrack.

What the fuck was up with that Fall Out Boy cover? Who greenlighted that garbage?!

Is the Walk the Moon cover in the movie? 'Cause it's a million times better.

Saw shallows tonight with my brother in law.  He thought it was okay but didn't like it nearly as much as I did.  He saw the trailer for Ghostbusters and said, "This looks so fucking stupid."

I laughed.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

What the fuck was up with that Fall Out Boy cover? Who greenlighted that garbage?!

The Walk the Moon cover is played over the credits, but the Fall Out Boy cover only gets a small snippet during one scene in the film.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Saw shallows tonight with my brother in law.  He thought it was okay but didn't like it nearly as much as I did.  He saw the trailer for Ghostbusters and said, "This looks so fucking stupid."

I laughed.

lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

The Fall Out Boy version only plays briefly when they're on their way to make their first public appearance in the Ghostbusters costumes.

The Walk the Moon version plays over the end credits (which are a hoot by the way, that Chris Hemsworth dance should've been in the actual movie). The original Ray Parker Jr. version plays at the very beginning of the movie.

• Like 1

The Fall Out Boy version only plays briefly when they're on their way to make their first public appearance in the Ghostbusters costumes.

The Walk the Moon version plays over the end credits (which are a hoot by the way, that Chris Hemsworth dance should've been in the actual movie). The original Ray Parker Jr. version plays at the very beginning of the movie.

It is obvious Feig wasn't a fan of the Sony forced , likely, fallout boy version. It isn't even on during credits the walk the moon version much better and made the credits even better.

22 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Just for the hell of it, take a look at it this way.

Pet's made 104 mill opening weekend. 

By the end of its second weekend, it's grossed 203 million.

That means from it's first Monday to it's second Sunday, it grossed 95% of what it did opening weekend.

Zootopia grossed 75 million in its first weekend.

By the end of the second weekend, it had grossed 143 million.

That's 90% of what it grossed opening weekend.

Jungle Book grossed 103 million OW

By the end of the second weekend, it was at 192 million

This means it grossed 85% of what it did OW.

Inside Out opened to 90 million

By the end of the second weekend it was at 185 million

105% of what it did OW

Finding Dory:  135

111% of the opening weekend.

The Lego Movie:  69 OW

Second weekend total:  130 mill

88% of it's OW

Big Hero 6:  56 OW

110 after two weekends

96% more after first weekend.

Brave:  66 OW

131 second weekend 

98%

So you see my point here.  IO and Dory are definitely the exception, not the rule.  When you have animated films, it isn't necessarily about what they drop in their second weekend, it's the ration of what they did from their first until the second weekend is up.  Dory and IO are freaks, no doubt, but Pets 95% addition is better than both Zootopia and Jungle Book.  So to say that Illumination needs to watch their marketing budget and that they are more frontloaded than other animated films, is false.  The reason it fell 52% this weekend is because the summer weekdays were so strong, it burned off demand.  Where as when you have spring films, they fall less on the weekends because the demand was not met during the week. So Illumination has no misstep.  I have no idea if it will pass Zootopia or catch JB.  I do know, or at least feel that it will get to about Zootopia's number. Regardless of what it does, it's an outstanding success and if you want to chalk part of that up to marketing, then I have no problem with that.  They made Pets the second biggest film of the summer.  That's impressive.  So I'm just pointing out that sometimes, you have to go a little deeper with the numbers if you want to get the real story.  

This was interesting. The logic for taking into consideration the entire second week instead of just the weekend seems sound. But when I did a quick scatterplot and linear regression, there is actually a stronger correlation with the second weekend drop (R^2 = 0.22) than with the second week total vs. OW, for which there is essentially no correlation at all (R^2 = 0.006). That being said, the correlation of 0.22 is also quite small and not statistically significant in a sample of this size.

I'm trying to think of an easy way to get a bigger data set without having to do all the calculations manually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

This was interesting. The logic for taking into consideration the entire second week instead of just the weekend seems sound. But when I did a quick scatterplot and linear regression, there is actually a stronger correlation with the second weekend drop (R^2 = 0.22) than with the second week total vs. OW, for which there is essentially no correlation at all (R^2 = 0.006). That being said, the correlation of 0.22 is also quite small and not statistically significant in a sample of this size.

I'm trying to think of an easy way to get a bigger data set without having to do all the calculations manually.

Wouldn't you have to do two correlations? Summer vs non-Summer? 

FORBES agrees with @Baumer:

The Secret Life of Pets pulled in a solid $50.56 million gross to top its second weekend, a drop of 51% from last weekend’s $104m debut. Not only did it have a smaller drop and a bigger second weekend than Minions, it crossed the $200m mark in just ten days, or one day more than last year’s Illumination offering.

So yeah, it’s basically playing about as well as the Despicable Me spin-off without the franchise advantage. Once again, Illumination is arguably now a brand. And they are now certainly about to score their third-straight $300 million domestic grosser. Universal/Comcast Corp. is opening the film slowly overseas (a bunch of territories in August), but it has already earned $254m global, or about 3.4x its $75m budget.

• Like 1