Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Am I the only who thinks the length is perfect? I am honestly not a big fan of hour long episodes. Maybe it's because I got introduced to television through comedy and animation but 20-40 minutes is the perfect length for me. 

think I would have liked about five more minutes, but I'm not sure where I would have put it that wouldn't have made it seem like padding.  I think I was more surprised at it than anything else, might be more where I'm at.

Always leave them wanting more is better than get on with it, as you say.

• Like 1

1970's Kung Fu is... That is an excellent comparison.  I knew this reminded me of something and damn if this doesn't fit.  Not quite as many flashbacks (in fact, the only one is a hazy dreamlike remembrance), but it really does work.  Sure it's more action packed, but when it comes to how the story was told and a similar main character, I can think of many worse ways to describe that.

Wonder if anyone else is thinking along these lines.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:My one personal complain is the length.  I would have preferred it to be longer, but I absolutely see why it stopped where it did. 

I know that feeling it’s something I’m sure every man had wished for.   Wait, are we still discussing the Mandalorian?

49 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Is this any good for a non-SW fan?

I think it greatly depends on what type of show you actually like.  It's not overloaded with fan service or callbacks, if that's what you mean.  The cliffhanger will only really mean something if you're familiar with SW, I'll grant you that.  But beyond that the story doesn't require much prior buy-in to SW.  it's set in a lawless region where folks are trying to make due in a pretty trying situation.

Like I said, it really does seem to be SW by way of Spahgetti Western.

There is plenty of humor though, and fun action scenes.  Is a bit on the dry side when it comes to wit and whatnot.

So... Maybe? Just have to consider things you're not familiar with as part of world building that would go on in any series and not worry whether or not your missing something extra that is being aimed at fans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

👍

Porthos' Law:  As the length of any Star Wars discussion grows longer, the probability of LMD referencing TLJ  or Snoke approaches 1.

Was being silly but i think there is a huge potential and fan appetite for events between Episode 6 and 7 with Disney+

The show overall was pretty good and very interesting. 

• Like 1

Couldn't resist holding off until next week unfortunately but I really dug this episode. The short length I enjoyed because of Mandalorian's lack of dialogue so unless you beef up the action no point stretching out the runtime for that long. The best thing about the show is that it's definitely doing the "show don't tell" that A New Hope was great at doing. You very much understand how the bounty hunters work or what is part of the Mandalorian's motivation with very little exposition. I really does feel like a continuation of the OT world without it feeling too fanservicey or gimmicky. 

Also IG-11 c'mon Taika can do no wrong

• Like 2

Good first episode. A bit short, maybe would have liked another 5-10 minutes, but I like the minimalist vibe to start out. I'm sure things will slowly fold and expand as the series goes.

What I really wonder about is if/when we see other canon Mandos from Filoni's shows appear

• Like 3

Finally got home and got around to watching this!!  I was pretty excited all throughout the day for it.  Overall it was a decent first episode, but I expect (hope) they get better from here.  I thought it was pretty slow for the majority of it, and didn't really get engaging till the end.  For a first episode though, this isn't terrible upsetting/surprising.  Ended on an interesting note, and I am excited for Friday.  I would probably give this episode a C on the grade scale, but I expect it to really pick up in subsequent episodes.  

It was fine. It felt long, to be honest. Both sparse (fine) and undercooked. And while I assume lots of people liked all the little references to other SW stuff, a little goes a long way for me. 

Herzog was the best part (unsurprisingly) — the runner-up are the visuals. 

I’m not sure I can deal with a whole season of a masked protagonist. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

My friend invited me to his house since he bought Disney plus. So we watched this when I got there. I liked it. It's a good first episode, of course, a lot of setup. But overall I liked it.   obliviously they're going for definitely a western vibe.

Of course I thought the nod to the Star Wars holiday special was pretty funny

I'll keep up with it as long as I can keep going to my friend's house to see it for free 

Edited by 75Live

I wonder if both of the first 2 episodes will be available straight away in Australia/NZ when it launches so that it is in sync with US/Canada/Netherlands.  Disney+ doesn't start anywhere else until well after the first series is finished so it would make sense.

If that's the case then subscribing from November 29 for a month should cover the wholes series.

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I wonder if both of the first 2 episodes will be available straight away in Australia/NZ when it launches so that it is in sync with US/Canada/Netherlands.  Disney+ doesn't start anywhere else until well after the first series is finished so it would make sense.

Second episode releases November 15th, not the 19th. So it will be

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

If that's the case then subscribing from November 29 for a month should cover the wholes series.

I can't imagine them holding anything back, especially on The Mandalorian where there wasn't any sort of pre-existing rights issues.  They'll want people to catch up as quickly as possible, I'd figure.

• Like 2

This is really true.

That 24 to 48 hour period where everyone is just collectively geeking out and before any real arguments have time to set in, really is a magical time.  One of the things I look forward to the most, really, when it comes to the fan end of the SW experience.

• Like 1

I'm pleased so far but I'll wait until we see more to make a firm judgment. I was not expecting that ending at all and I'm very intrigued by the possibilities. I love the look, sound, and feel, no matter where the story goes. I think it's good that they're focusing on a fairly small slice of the galaxy right now instead of trying too cover too much and introduce too many characters.

The shorter length didn't bother me since I enjoyed the pacing. I'd rather it be on the short side than feel like it's being dragged out to an arbitrary 60 minutes. I'm curious what the length for episode 2 will be though. If the runtime for all the episodes is around 40 minutes, I suspect they're already planning to air the show on Disney XD and/or Freeform after the season is finished.

Edited by EmmaPeel
  • Like 1