efialtes76

Weekend Thread: Accountant 24.7M, Kevin Hart 11.9M, GOTT 11.9M, Peregrine 8.9M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think it's in the running for techs only, tbh. Although the Supporting categories are pretty open at the moment and Affleck's first three movies all scored an acting nom so maybe it has a contender there.

Could sneak an adapted screenplay, maybe.

6 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Not bad Cinemascore for The Accountant. It's doing well with audiences on Rotten Tomatoes as well, and it's critic score last I checked was increasing.

Good. I wanted it to open closer to $30M, so if my lowish $20-24M prediction fails, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2016/10/weekend-box-office-the-accountant-kevin-hart-what-now-girl-on-the-train-1201836388/

3RD UPDATE, Friday PM: At a glance, this weekend might look like a replay of last weekend at the box office: another mid-$40M budget movie yielding a mid-$20M opening. But today, we’re not talking about The Girl on the Train,rather Warner Bros.’ Ben Affleck drama thriller The Accountant which is currently penciling an opening estimated at $24.2M off late night east coast figures. The difference? Accountant could see its 3-day ticket sales go higher after landing an A CinemaScore, a grade that beats Affleck’s recent fall releases Gone Girl (B) and The Town (B+) and is just under Argo (A+).

If The Accountant shares anything in common with this weekend’s other wide entry Open Road/Dolphin Entertainment’s Max Steel, it’s that they were both projects that survived development hell over several years and finally made it on to marquees, though with two very different end results. In development since the summer of 2009, Max Steel, based on a line of Mattel boy toys, is falling apart in No. 11 with an awful three-day of $1.8M at 2,034 venues. 

Uni’s DreamWorks release The Girl on the Train is coming in at the higher end of its projection, -45% from its opening weekend for an estimated $13.5M in second place and a running 10-day cume of $48.1M. But alas, it’s a deeper decline than Gone Girl‘s -30% which was fueled by great reviews (88% fresh, double what Girl on the Train received at 44% rotten) and a source material that boasted more twists.

Uni also has Kevin Hart: What Now? opening in third place to an estimated$11.2M, which is slightly better than the $10M made by the stand-up’s previous 2013 concert movie Let Me Explain. 

• Like 1

1). The Accountant  (WB), 3,332 theaters / $9M Fri. (includes $1.35M previews)/ 3-day cume: $24.6M / Wk 1

2). The Girl on the Train  (UNI/DW), 3,241 theaters  (+97) / $3.9M Fri. (-57%) / 3-day cume: $12.9M (-47%)/Total: $47.5M/ Wk 2

3). Kevin Hart: What Now?  (UNI), 2,568 theaters / $4.5M Fri. (includes $739K)/3-day cume: $11.67M / Wk 1

4). Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children  (FOX), 3,835 theaters (+130) / $2.25M Fri. (-42%) / 3-day cume: $8.4M (-44%)/Total: $65.3M/Wk 3

5). Deepwater Horizon  (LG), 3,403 theaters (+144) / $1.9M Fri. (-43%) / / 3-day cume: $6.3M (-45%)/Total: $49.3M/ Wk 3

6). Storks  (WB), 3,066 theaters (-542) / $1.4M Fri.  (-30%)/3-day cume: $5.75M(-31%) /Total: $59.3M/ Wk 4

7.) Magnificent Seven  (SONY), 3,210 theaters (-486) / $1.5M Fri  (-42%)/ 3-day cume: $5.1M (-43%)/Total cume: $84.7M/ Wk 4

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Not bad Cinemascore for The Accountant. It's doing well with audiences on Rotten Tomatoes as well, and it's critic score last I checked was increasing.

So an A cinemascore is now "not bad"?

Does that make A-, B+ "bad"? 

Anyway, box office is so boring just now. 

Good drops for Peregrines, Mag 7, Deepwater Horizon and Storks but by most people's standard for Ghostbusters, they're all bombs anyway in relation to budget. EDIT: I meant to say domestic. 

So who cares. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Accountant is actually looking to open pretty well for an October release with mediocre reviews and a star who has always had an inconsistent track record at the box office. Before I would've thought no more than The Judge numbers.

Mixed reviews.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

So an A cinemascore is now "not bad"?

Does that make A-, B+ "bad"? 

Anyway, box office is so boring just now. 

Good drops for Peregrines, Mag 7, Deepwater Horizon and Storks but by most people's standard for Ghostbusters, they're all bombs anyway in relation to budget. 

So who cares. 

It's not really the same thing. Ghostbusters made 1.6x it's budget WW. That is pretty bad. Peregrine will likely come close to a 3x. Storks could get a 4x. Mag7 will get a 2.5x. Deepwater is the only movie that's in the same situation as Ghostbusters. The other movies will actually make money. That's the difference.  

Edited by James
  • Like 4

Thing is: Ghostbusters, at 220M against a break even point of 288M, is gonna be a money LOSER for Sony, as will Deepwater Horizon (sadly) for Lionsgate. Miss Peregrine is at 150M WW just 3 weeks in and needs low 200's to break even - seems pretty achievable, would make the movie a success. Storks is past 110M WW and needs 140M to break even - may struggle a tiny bit, but it's pretty much locked to happen and it'll make WB a profit. Mag 7 is up to 136M WW, needs 180M to break even - not entirely sure about this one, but it could limp its way there.

Personally, I don't think GB is a mega flop or anything, but it's hard to argue against numbers. All of those movies that you name dropped, outside of DH which is inequivocally a failure, came much closer to making their studios profits than GB ever did. As a matter of fact, all of those probably WILL make their studios a profit. That's why they can't exactly be called "bombs", especially when you consider that, maybe Mag 7 aside, none of them had the release date, the blockbuster appeal and the marketing of GB.

EDIT: Back on topic, I told y'all - The Accountant had breakout potential. Yeah, I've seen the mixed reviews on RT, but ever since the low 20's dip, it has only grown since, and audience reception has been very solid so far. Plus, DA POWAH OF DA AFFLECK. The man's been killing it all the way back since Gone Girl. If it matched TGOTT's debut or even outpaced it, that would be hilarious.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, James said:

It's not really the same thing. Ghostbusters made 1.6x it's budget WW. That is pretty bad. Peregrine will likely come close to a 3x. Storks could get a 4x. Mag7 will get a 2.5x. Deepwater is the only movie that's in the same situation as Ghostbusters. The other movies will actually make money. That's the difference.  

Sorry, I meant domestically. 

So they're in the same boat.