Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

If you dig deep enough, it have quite a big amount of mixed tweets, especially from more credible writers. 

Still, doesn’t look bad to me. It’s getting Mary Poppins Returns reception vibes, which means probably 65-ish on MC and +75% on RT 

Which is probably more than enough for this type of movie, based on what I read it deliver exactly what families would like to watch on holidays. It can be big even if reviews ended up being just decent instead of raves.

I was about to say, a lot of those reactions seem reluctant, mixing in a lot of complaints about a thin, messy plot. More of them praise Little Timmy than the actual movie. It'll probably end up in the 60s on Rotten Tomatoes, and since Wonka isn't relevant or fresh enough for today's teens and young adults that'll basically be its death sentence. If it goes past $300M worldwide I'll be very surprised.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

and then the Negative debbie downers swoop to shit in the swimming pool.

Glad I could help

16 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I was about to say, a lot of those reactions seem reluctant, mixing in a lot of complaints about a thin, messy plot. More of them praise Little Timmy than the actual movie. It'll probably end up in the 60s on Rotten Tomatoes, and since Wonka isn't relevant or fresh enough for today's teens and young adults that'll basically be its death sentence. If it goes past $300M worldwide I'll be very surprised.

Yeah, i’ve seen quite a lot of really harsh reactions, definitely far from raves. 

Not sure if it’ll end with 60’s, like i said the vibe to me remind of MPR which was a bit divisive (lots of love but a few strong hate) instead of overall indifference. Seems to be the case here so far.

That said, even if goes as low as 60, i disagreed that this will matter much for it’s box office fate. It’s a family movie and quite honestly only CBM seems to get really hurted by okayish reviews.

Apparently this it’s colorful, harmless, uplifting, breezy and overall funny … it can be enough to have great WOM with parents and kids no matter what the reviews are. I agreed teens maybe won’t care that much for it but i’m not sure it need it since this is more of a smaller movie than a supersized blockbuster.

With holidays, you need good WOM from families to succeed, not rave reviews. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Barbie 2 seems like the type of movie that won’t release until at least 6 years from now

with all due respect to women, waiting till margot robbie is 39 to make barbie 2 seems a bit risky

leaves you little room to make  barbie 3, cause I'm not sure you can have a 40 something play stereotypical barbie 

6 years from now should be when barbie 3 releases

but a movie about stereotypical barbie ageing out of being able to be stereotypical barbie could be cool

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

31 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

This thread today is BO Theory in a nutshell. Goes from being happy with  the positive  early reactions and then the Negative debbie downers swoop to shit in the swimming pool.

No one here is doing this tho … we’re just saying the amazing reactions was actually kinda mixed. Some people may think this can hurt it if the reviews follows this path, but this seems like a completely normal discussion.

But okay, since this is being questioned, i’ll just post some different reactions here so we have a more balanced thread then. Personally i still think this will be well received overall and WOM will be the biggest factor for it’s success or failure, but it does have it’s detractors and that usually doesn’t happen with super acclaimed movies this early.

There’s many “oh it’s fine” average reactions as well but I’ll post just some actual mixed ones to avoid excess of information.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

This thread today is BO Theory in a nutshell. Goes from being happy with  the positive  early reactions and then the Negative debbie downers swoop to shit in the swimming pool.

I learned my lesson the hard way with Wish, you just always have to take the initial enthusiasm with a grain of salt 

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, the thing that stands out as especially "red flag"-ish among the reactions to me is the lack of solid consensus around the the musical numbers, since musicals tend to live or die based on how memorable (or not) their soundtracks are. 

There does seem to be quite an overlap between the criticisms here and with Wish. Though also seems the GA is more sold on this and it has a lower budget.

Edited by AniNate

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

No one here is doing this tho … we’re just saying the amazing reactions was actually kinda mixed. Some people may think this can hurt it if the reviews follows this path, but this seems like a completely normal discussion.

But okay, since this is being questioned, i’ll just post some different reactions here so we have a more balanced thread then. Personally i still think this will be well received overall and WOM will be the biggest factor for it’s success or failure, but it does have it’s detractors and that usually doesn’t happen with super acclaimed movies this early.

There’s many “oh it’s fine” average reactions as well but I’ll post just some actual mixed ones to avoid excess of information.

Well shit are we ever going to have a big studio  movie get anything than mixed reviews again?

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I don’t know why you’d give a shit about that but either way get used to it because it’s going to happen a lot with the rise of paid-off review influencers getting positive reactions out early. Doesn’t mean all films will have that downturn but we’ve seen it often enough. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Will this go rotten?? 

9 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Didn’t Erlich like House of Gucci? And hate The Lion King? Not sure what his take has to do with the BO for Wonka. 

we all hated Lion King 

Wonka needed to be good to do well, which it seems like it is. Lion King didn’t. 

Edited by wildphantom

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wonka isn't relevant or fresh enough for today's teens and young adults

Do I have to say to you again that this isn't true at all? I get that your thing is to make ignorant points and then keep making them even after people correct you, but give it a break man

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Okay, that's a lot of negative reviews in social media reactions...

Asked the spouse if he wanted to see this (since he's a huge 70s Wonka fan) - he said an instant no, but that's b/c he finds Wonka needs a serious edge, and everything he's seen in trailers says that Timothee is not Wonka, at least not what a prequel Wonka to the 1970's version should be - aka, nice and kind and sweet should not be in his vocab.  

Now, the kid is still a maybe, so we'll see.  But parents won't be pushing this (b/c I never cared much for any Wonka - if it were just me, I'd see Waitress next weekend:).