CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Estimates: Madea - 27.6M; JR 2 - 23M; Ouija 2 - 14M; Accountant - 14m; Joneses - 5.6M

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I think Moonlight will probably pull through and get a Picture nom but can't be sure after the Carol snub.

I thought Carol was really good BUT that was due to the acting more so than the actual plot/storyline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If that holds for Ouija I would be pleased. Going by recent history it is more likely the movie ends with a 8-9M OW :sadben:  

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I like how two movies have exactly the same number but the one with the much lower budget is the "underperformer" and the other one is still "Cruise missile" even though it's gonna give him something like his 17th best opening weekend.

That's CFail for ya.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Reportedly Moonlight moved people which is important for Oscar.  Carol was more on the admired but chilly side.

people kept saying this last year but i couldn't comprehend it at all.

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like how two movies have exactly the same number but the one with the much lower budget is the "underperformer" and the other one is still "Cruise missile" even though it's gonna give him something like his 17th best opening weekend.

Madea will do like what? 21M OW with that OD? It will probably end with 43-44M if it follows the 2011 and 2012 movies (not counting the last one since it opened on top of the holidays so it had great legs). 20M budget. 0 OS pre-sales. ~5M marketing expenses on top of the budget. I guess Lionsgate will get into profit land sometime during the homevideo run. And it will be by far the lowest grosser of the Madea franchise, pretty much killing it for Lionsgate.

Jack Reacher with a 22-23M OW should do at least 60M DOM and on top of that another ~120M OS. That is 180M WW right there on a 60M budget. Paramount will see a profit during the theatrical run. The Cruise Missile wins. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

His hate for Lionsgate runs deep.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even though she's not the reason why any of these movies flopped, it still sucks that the new Wonder Woman has had prominent roles in three miniscule grossers (Triple 9, Criminal, Keeping Up with the Joneses) in one year.

Triple 9 was before BvS and I have read her role is REALLY SMALL in it. Never saw it, tho.

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Inmates are running the asylum. Been this way for a while.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Madea is limited to the domestic market. Reacher will make money overseas as well which will also include overseas dvd sales, demand etc. Also, his 17th best weekend for any other actor would be horrible, but for Tom Cruise that means the movie still makes bank. 

Edited by HesAPooka

1 minute ago, ecstasy said:

Inmates are running the asylum. Been this way for a while.

:kitschjob: I already explained why it is obviously an underperformer while the other is locked to give a strong profit during his theatrical run.