kayumanggi

SNOW WHITE | 03.21.2025 | Disney

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I rewatched it as part of a Disney binge with my son. It still looks incredible but it’s really boring. So. Much. Singing.

I can’t even blame its age because Pinocchio, the follow-up, is one of my favourites.

You're a parent?!

I'm excited, but mostly because I love hearing Rachel sing. Otherwise I don't really care about Snow White all that much. (I don't remember if I ever saw the full animated movie) I saw a few german(I'm german) satires of the story and know the Grimm version from when I was a kid, but yeah.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:40 PM, WittyUsername said:

So people are mad at Rachel Zegler because she said that a movie from 1937 might not have aged well by modern societal standards? Is that really a spicy take now? 

So falling in love and two people loving each other is this dated 1937 thing...?

On 8/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, Valonqar said:

Studio casts "progressive" to get sympathy votes for creatively bankrupt product knowing very well there will be backlash on one side and defense on the other side

Right on cue, some usual suspects seethe, other usual suspects start to defend the turd and root for its boxoffice even though it's still a steaming turd

It would be funny how often this happens now if it wasn't so tiresome, and its not limited to these Disney remakes or even movies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

No one said that. 

She did say that though:

“I just mean that it’s no longer 1937,” Zegler said. “We absolutely wrote a ‘Snow White’ that ... she’s not going to be saved by the prince, and she’s not going to be dreaming about true love; 

• Like 1

I mean the fact the prince Is a totally faceless character is not that great. They all were in these animated movies, so if as It happened with Cinderella and TLM they make their characters with a personality and the relationship with the princess changes what's the problem?. It's not 1937-1950-1989 anymore.

As said 2 millions times: some people act as the animated movies were respectfull of the source material. They were already "politically correct" movies...corrected for their age. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

I mean the fact the prince Is a totally faceless character is not that great. They all were in these animated movies, so if as It happened with Cinderella and TLM they make their characters with a personality and the relationship with the princess changes what's the problem?. It's not 1937-1950-1989 anymore.

As said 2 millions times: some people act as the animated movies were respectful of the source material. They were already "politically correct" movies...corrected for their age. 

I understand.

But it's also not 1998 when Ever After: A Cinderella Story came out with the selling point being the princess had increased agency and while romance was included it didn't have old fashioned relationship dynamics.

Or 2004 when Ella Enchanted did the same.

Nor is it 2012 when Snow White and the Huntsman came out with the same thing in terms of dynamics.

Nor is it 1998, 2009 and 2010 when Mulan, The Princess and the Frog and Tangled all came out with Disney themselves identifying and emphasising princess characters with drastically different degrees of agency to the past and to their love interests.

Not that all these movies can't co-exist with new ones that do similar.

But in terms of self-commentary regarding "The Formula"..."The formula" was neither the original formula (as you say) not has it been "the formula" for the last 30 years. 

So at some point it seems as though the only people obsessed with what "the formula" was from about 1935-55 are people who want to be for some reason. And among those reasons is just pretending that a critique that has existed for nearly a hundred years, about a narrative format that been actively away from the norm for decades, is still somehow a fresh critique that *this new movie* is the first, or nearly, the first to have ever addressed. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I understand.

But it's also not 1998 when Ever After: A Cinderella Story came out with the selling point being the princess had increased agency and while romance was included it didn't have old fashioned relationship dynamics.

Or 2004 when Ella Enchanted did the same.

Nor is it 2012 when Snow White and the Huntsman came out with the same thing in terms of dynamics.

Nor is it 1998, 2009 and 2010 when Mulan, The Princess and the Frog and Tangled all came out with Disney themselves identifying and emphasising princess characters with drastically different degrees of agency to the past and to their love interests.

Not that all these movies can't co-exist with new ones that do similar.

But in terms of self-commentary regarding "The Formula"..."The formula" was neither the original formula (as you say) not has it been "the formula" for the last 30 years. 

So at some point it seems as though the only people obsessed with what "the formula" was from about 1935-55 are people who want to be for some reason. And among those reasons is just pretending that a critique that has existed for nearly a hundred years, and has been actively away from the norm for decades, is still somehow a fresh critique that *this new movie* is the first, or nearly, the first to have ever addressed. 

The "princess is more independent" thing reached it's absurd peak with BATB 2017 when they couldn't figure out how to make Belle more independent and had her invent the washing machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The "princess is more independent" thing reached it's absurd peak with BATB 2017 when they couldn't figure out how to make Belle more independent and had her invent the washing machine.

Yes, this. The problem with movies these days is that someone has this weird idea that women cannot be independent if they aren't warriors (most tired new cliche) or masculine so they try to insert that in IPs where it looks out of place. I said it in other thread but will repeat in this one, Barbie is this mega success with women precisely because she isn't a warrior or other masculine thing. In fact, the movie is critical of unattainable goals and role models that only give one inferiority complex (eg. if Barbie can be President aka a position only one person holds at the time so 0.000000001% chance you'll be one, you can too). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

She did say that though:

“I just mean that it’s no longer 1937,” Zegler said. “We absolutely wrote a ‘Snow White’ that ... she’s not going to be saved by the prince, and she’s not going to be dreaming about true love; 

I mean, there is an argument to be made that Snow White in the original film is too passive a protagonist.