75Live

Weekend Thread | est. DS 43 | Trolls 35 | Arrival 24 | Alm.X-Mas 15.56 | Hacksaw 10.77 | Account. 4.57 |

14 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

Okay, thanks for the info. I apologize if I spammed the thread with unnecessary posts.

No need to apologize and welcome to the forum.  :)

Edit: If you mean the other posts it looks like you had trouble with the quoting which can be buggy since the reply box can keep old quotes and quotes  within quotes sometimes disappear and posts can be edited but not deleted.  :wacko:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Meh, was hoping it would do better than that. For a movie with such a muted opening and supposedly amazing WOM on an inflated weekend this is honetly not that great a hold.

It's a good hold though. I could see the film getting a 4X multiplier, which for any film nowadays, is quite the accomplishment.

44 minutes ago, Mad Max said:

Okay, thanks for the info. I apologize if I spammed the thread with unnecessary posts.

You didn't and welcome

(I am back, hurt my ankle, no work today)

"Two hours of moviegoing is like a massive, immersive group therapy session," says a box-office analyst as overall revenue jumped 45%-50%.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd pop in and say... happy 5th anniversary! It's hard to believe we built the forums five years ago this November. The actual anniversary is November 5th, so my apologies on being a bit late! I hope you're all doing well and enjoying what's shaping up to be a really fun holiday movie season. I'm still crushing pretty hard on Doctor Strange myself...

As always, thank you all -- members and staff -- for everything you've contributed to this site. It wouldn't be possible without you.

- S

• Like 46

9 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd pop in and say... happy 5th anniversary! It's hard to believe we built the forums five years ago this November. The actual anniversary is November 5th, so my apologies on being a bit late! I hope you're all doing well and enjoying what's shaping up to be a really fun holiday movie season. I'm still crushing pretty hard on Doctor Strange myself...

As always, thank you all -- members and staff -- for everything you've contributed to this site. It wouldn't be possible without you.

- S

Quick question: why is Box Office's Sing prediction so low? :redcapes: 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Hi Everyone,

- S

Our dear leader.

tumblr_mqe0nvIS011rybvd9o1_500.gif

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

After such delicious drops this weekend, what can we expect for the next weekend?

Brutal, ugly or just horrible drops for Strange/Trolls/Hacksaw?

I think it depends a lot on the mood of the people. According to HollywoodReporter some additional to the expected ppl went to the cinemas as a kind of therapy,... or escapism.

So, maybe that will happen again, might depend on the news.

Then there are reports about some fans being 'miffed' after they learned FB will be a 5 parter (they expected a 3-Parter). No idea about the % of the audience, might be under 1%, might be measurable.

Also there are some discussions about how much the audience of film xy differs from FB audience, also the theoretically possibility of sold out screenings pushing some / a bit / none audience to other films,...

I think it depends strongly on the films in question, some might get hit way harder than others, so I expect a rather unbalanced drop pattern next weekend.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Arrival is a win for Paramount, since the film was independently financed and sold to various distributors, isn't the budget already recouped and Paramount only need to recoup the money they spent acquiring the rights plus P&A? 

Yep. 20M for DOM and China plus whatever they spent promoting it. Deadline says 40M.

Jack Reacher is quietly sitting at $54m domestic but it's WW isn't as great. Has Tom's star power globally finally fallen off? Last Jack Reacher? I mean, it's not going to lose money.

Inferno, the domestic # is unfairly bad, it's a fun movie, WW will carry if for Sony so it's not going to lose money either but it's likely the last. I'd have loved to see Lost Symbol.

Dr. Strange continues to rock Marvel Studios winning streak!! Well done Mister Doctor! 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Jack Reacher is quietly sitting at $54m domestic but it's WW isn't as great. Has Tom's star power globally finally fallen off? Last Jack Reacher? I mean, it's not going to lose money.

Cruise has no true star power anymore I'd wager. It's all about how appealing his movies look these days. If they have appeal they do well, if they don't they struggle to break even. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

After such delicious drops this weekend, what can we expect for the next weekend?

Brutal, ugly or just horrible drops for Strange/Trolls/Hacksaw?

There was a glut of movies after nothing.  It might depend on how many movies people will go to see.  I might have seen Hacksaw Ridge this weekend but the material was too serious for my mood.  Next weekend I might see it if I see two movies, but Arrival is next on my list.  I will probably see it in theaters - except I also want to see Fantastic Beasts.... so there has to be a weekend soon where I see more than one movie.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Cruise has no true star power anymore I'd wager. It's all about how appealing his movies look these days. If they have appeal they do well, if they don't they struggle to break even. 

The first film wasn't even that big, I suspect it was only made so Cruise would do more Mission Impossible films, its budgeted so that it won't lose money and it'll make money from ancillaries 

The movie doesn't start for a half hour but I'm already mad as hell and want to see Arrival again. How the fuck do I get stuck with the shittiest seat when I arrive 50 min before the show and (more importantly) organize the FUCKING outing for my friends?

Jesus Christ like I am absolutely enraged for some reason and incredibly unhappy about this and I don't know why I have such intensity toward this

• Like 2