75Live

Weekend Numbers: Fantastic Beasts 75M, Strange 17.6M, Trolls 17.5M, Arrival 11.8M, Edge of 17 4.8M, Bleed 2.35M, Billy Lynn 930k

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Like The curious case of Benjamin button winning best visual effects over The dark knight. Which made no freaking sense. Or Rotpota not winning. 

As much as I hate Slumdog Millionaire, I am thankful it beat Benjamin Button which just felt like it was developed in a lab to win the Best Picture Oscar.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Like The curious case of Benjamin button winning best visual effects over The dark knight. Which made no freaking sense. Or Rotpota not winning. 

Actually, it made plenty of sense. The de-aging/aging in Benjamin Button was so seamless that it was often tough to tell where the actual makeup work ended and the digital work began. The superimposing of Pitt's face on other actors - while obvious given Pitt's immediately recognizable appearance - looked as good as that technique ever has.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There are different degrees of wellness and what Sony did with almost guaranteed a complete bomb, from the marketing down to the theater count roll out

Fair, I guess they could have sold the patriotism (although the film is supposed to be more of a satire), but being patriotic doesn't automatically always mean that people will show up to see a film either. Either way the film's a bomb.

4 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Fair, I guess they could have sold the patriotism (although the film is supposed to be more of a satire), but being patriotic doesn't automatically always mean that people will show up to see a film either. Either way the film's a bomb.

There are actually some very cool TV spots selling that in a way, even though like you say, satire, and the movie (or material, didnt see the movie yet) is very much anti war, but pro soldier. I wonder if that has to do also with Rothman & Lee having a difficult time working on the movie. Either way, changing a wide release date to a limited 2 or 3 weeks before said movie releases is just dumb, that + negativity from NYFF spread like wildfire and hurt it a lot. It's doing well in China though (will probably end up close to 25 million), even though it's being said that the Chinese audience doesn't get it, and can't relate to a young, white American soldier (surprise surprise !).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

There are actually some very cool TV spots selling that in a way, even though like you say, satire, and the movie (or material, didnt see the movie yet) is very much anti war, but pro soldier. I wonder if that has to do also with Rothman & Lee having a difficult time working on the movie. Either way, changing a wide release date to a limited 2 or 3 weeks before said movie releases is just dumb, that + negativity from NYFF spread like wildfire and hurt it a lot. It's doing well in China though (will probably end up close to 25 million), even though it's being said that the Chinese audience doesn't get it, and can't relate to a young, white American soldier (surprise surprise !).

It's probably doing well in China because of the visual effects and format. It's not surprising that the Chinese audience can't relate to it though.

I've just watched Fantastic Beasts! Wow, really good experience. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, so I went to watch this new movie without having any expectations.

Theater wasn't full, though. Maybe because I got to watch it during the morning. 

By the way, is that 65% drop for Dr Strange real? Damn it, if that's true. That's quite insane.

• Like 2

BILLY LYNN's lowish budget probably means it won't be a huge money-loser in the long run. In theory, this is what we want studios to do: line up a director who's done great things before, take an intriguing story, give the creative people free reign, and see what happens. Sometimes you get LIFE OF PI, sometimes you get BILLY LYNN.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

With this awful drop, where DS' bo will end up dom ?

220m ? 

Probably higher than that, even if Deadline isn't lowballing. 

Thor 2 made around $39M more after its third weekend $14.2M. Deadline's $15M would put Doctor Strange at $179M after this weekend. Following Thor 2's drops for the rest of its run is $220M. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I don't get this DS drop either, I hope Deadline is underestimating DS again.

and fb as well, I'd love a positive surprise there

Deadline has been bent on undermining DS success since opening weekend. So I wouldn't put it past them to deliberately lowball weekend estimates to make it look like an underperformer. Their reporting about its opening weekend was criminal. Basically, they went on about opening below Thor 2 and made a big deal out of it. I don't know why they are so anti-Marvel biased. So I wouldn't worry about that number this early.

• Like 1

BoxOfficeMojo is predicting 14 million for Arrival. They are not always good with predictions. But they were the only site predicted a close opening weekend (25 million comparing to other sites's 14 million) for Arrival. I know the movie is not for the masses. But for the second week, I think it can still make 12 million to 13 million.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

BILLY LYNN's lowish budget probably means it won't be a huge money-loser in the long run. In theory, this is what we want studios to do: line up a director who's done great things before, take an intriguing story, give the creative people free reign, and see what happens. Sometimes you get LIFE OF PI, sometimes you get BILLY LYNN.

I do wonder how TriStar can bungle two films in a row from big name directors. I would imagine directors would be vary pitching any projects to them if they end up getting shafted.