CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On 11/10/2017 at 3:06 AM, Merkel said:

Brian Herbert and Kev J Anderson should be kept as far away from the screenplay as possible. There are such horrible writers

They are the original authors, though. It'd be important to at least keep them happy.

This is so bombing. Villeneuve has no touch for masses. Arrival was saved by a small budget but this is going to be expensive af. he just doesn't have the right feel for audience unlike, lets say, Nolan who knows how to make intellectual 4 quadrant movies. 

Edited by Valonqar

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, Merkel said:

Original authors of what? It was Brian's father who wrote the book. All the stuff these two have written is lowest form of fan fiction imaginable

I think the original DUNE Trilogy by Frank Herbert is one of Sci Fi's greatest masterpieced, but I hate Brain Herbert's crap. Not worth reading.

The main problem remains getting a script that does justice to  DUNE into one film,even one with a long running time.

If it's just a series of action scenes, no matter how well done, it will be a total fail. The novel is character driven.

Edited by dudalb

I know nothing about Dune, but I'm gonna see this if I get the chance. Villeneuve may not appeal to the masses, but he certainly has a growing fanbase that will see his films, after Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049. 

I want this to at least do well enough to guarantee he is able to make Cleopatra (which would be outstanding with him in the director's chair).

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

I am not sure if they can make a good looking Dune movie for under $100 million. My guess is that the budget will be in the $150-200 million range. This is the sort of movie that can be helped by a big name actor or two.

1 hour ago, BXT said:

I am not sure if they can make a good looking Dune movie for under $100 million. My guess is that the budget will be in the $150-200 million range. This is the sort of movie that can be helped by a big name actor or two.

They need The Rock or they need Leo. No one else will do the trick. So who it's gonna be? Leo as Duke Leto? The Rock as Stilgar? Both? ;)

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

They need The Rock or they need Leo. No one else will do the trick. So who it's gonna be? Leo as Duke Leto? The Rock as Stilgar? Both? ;)

Quentin Tarantino

Martin Scorcese

Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu

We can tell from DiCaprio's recent choices that he prefers to work with excellent, cutting-edge directors.

So with this in mind, we can infer that DiCaprio would, in fact, have an interest in working with Villeneuve.

Take the possibility with a grain of salt, but who knows. Strangers things have happened before.

(To be honest, I think the prospects of this film would become a lot more clear when we see how Mortal Engines is able to perform.)

• Thanks 1