CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, Plain Old Tele said:

I remain amazed at how much power people think screenwriters have, not to mention how they think the final film is completely attributable to their script (or script contribution). 

Hell, we don't even know, at times, who ended up writing the screenplay, since a lot of writers do work on films but do not get credit.

The Writers Guild Of America rules for who gets credits on a film and who does not are notorious for how unfair they are at times. Most infamous example is the 1959 "Ben Hur" where all of Hollywood knew that almost nothing of the script the sole credited writer..Karl Tunberg..wrote ended up on the screen, and he had little to do with the final film. Which is why Ben Hur did not win the Oscar for Best Screenplay t..the only Oscar it was nominated for it did not win.(It won 11, including best picture.).Every body in the academy knew Tunberg was not responsible for the script that was actually shot.

• Astonished 1

12 hours ago, Barnack said:

There is rumors of a small-medium budget (100-110M), smaller than Elysium, that they do not go big budget on it, with how big the franchise name is, the expected quality, the intl nature of the genre/franchise, large assemble cast filled with names, etc....

I can see this do a bit better than BR 2049 $260M and at that price tag that would not be a bomb at all.

It would not be a big surprise if they go R, considering that Villeneuve said:

“Most of the main ideas of Star Wars are coming from Dune so it’s going to be a challenge to [tackle] this,” the French-Canadian director says. “The ambition is to do the Star Wars movie I never saw. In a way, it’s Star Wars for adults. We’ll see.”

I doubt this but who knows.

Dune is epic by nature I  think and you could invest easily 300m in a movie like this to make it look as David Lean-James Cameron  as possible, scale wise.

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Dune is epic by nature I  think and you could invest easily 300m in a movie like this to make it look as David Lean-James Cameron  as possible, scale wise.

Hey, apparently the film is shooting in Jordan near the  locations Lean used in "Lawrence of Arabia".

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It could be Avatar/biggest ever I imagine with that material, forget about what I wrote I misread a Scott mendelson quote on forbes.

Keeping the budget in check is smart. We've seen that movies with obscene budget could still look like an old video game (Rhino from BP) and Dune isn't heavy on CGI outside of Shai Hulud. They are using Budapest for Caladan. Also, the cast while known are not superstars commanding big salaries.

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I would love it if science-fiction classics automatically became "biggest ever" movies, maybe Hollywood would adapt more than one per decade then - instead of ever more obscure CBMs. But that's unlikely.

I thought the great success of LOTR  and then Potter would harbinger an era of great fantasy films.  But studios were so hot to jump on the bandwagon they produced a bunch of junk and killed it - either by making films from fad junk novels (Eragon) turning lovely series (The Dark is Rising, Earthsea) into hot garbage,  making original bilge ( Lady in the Water),  doing bad adaptations of games (Dungeons & Dragons, Warcraft) or animation ( Avatar: The  Last Airbender) or shooting themselves in the foot with the director and wrong lead (John Carter). :angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

or shooting themselves in the foot with the director and wrong lead (John Carter). :angry:

awww  Kitsch has grown on me since ive seen him in Only the Brave.  JC was boring, but i think Kitsch has/had potential. and omg he's so good looking...he has a star's looks. too bad he'll never happen

• Like 1