CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

The big thing this movie has over BR2049 is that it’s being released in December 2020, which is a month that is currently lacking in any big event films. Still, that IGN prediction is absolutely ridiculous, and I say this as someone who greatly overestimated Detective Pikachu.

Then again, no one expected Avatar to make so much money, but that movie benefitted quite a bit from the 3D craze, among other things. On a purely technical level, Avatar was pretty groundbreaking. I can’t imagine that the same will be said for Dune, regardless of how good it is.

Dec. 18:

Dune

With 2020 being the first year in five years with no Star Wars movie closing out the year - and with the long-awaited Avatar sequel still a year away, this gives the opportunity for the long-awaited Dune remake to stake its claim to the box office crown. While the original 1984 adaptation of Frank Herbert’s epic opus was not a big hit ($30.9 million from a $40 million budget), this adaptation has all the elements that could lead to Dune being both a critical and commercial success. The cast is perhaps one of the best of the year (Rebecca Ferguson, Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin) and Denis Villeneueve continues to make a case for being our greatest living director. While I don’t think it will end up being the biggest hit of the year…. I think it will be a close second. $113.6 million domestic, $472.6 million domestic

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/12/30/2020-movies-box-office-predictions

I want to know what IGN is smoking.

Dune - $472.6 million

Well, instead of stupid i'll call it a daring prediction. Wouldn't it be cool if they came close, if only to silence those that are already rendering it dead in the water. And to have a big moneymaker other than a comic book movie and a select few others...

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

LOTR book sales were humungous.

One of the most famous novel in the world.

Where Dune stands in book sales ?

Is it still read these days ?

Uh, Dune is still one of the most popular Science Fiction novels ever published.

But thanks for displaying your ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Well, instead of stupid i'll call it a daring prediction. Wouldn't it be cool if they came close, if only to silence those that are already rendering it dead in the water. And to have a big moneymaker other than a comic book movie and a select few others...

It would be great for sure, but I’m not holding my breath on it. 

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, Dune is still one of the most popular Science Fiction novels ever published.

But thanks for displaying your ignorance.

Calm down kid, I was just asking.

I doubt LOTR and Dune play in the same league still.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

LOTR book sales were humungous.

One of the most famous novel in the world.

Where Dune stands in book sales ?

Is it still read these days ?

I imagine you are typing from a phone, but still that a 12s search:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

come-on.

Dune is a couple of tier below LOTR obviously, has LOTR is maybe the biggest book ever after the bible and such.

The Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien English 1954 150 million[18][9][19] fantasy
The Hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien English 1937 100 million[26] fantasy

Fear of Flying Erica Jong English 1973 20 million[110]
Dune Frank Herbert English 1965 20 million[111]
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Roald Dahl English 1964 20 million[112]
The Naked Ape Desmond Morris English 1968 20 million[113]

• Like 2

The most imortant thing in a movie is not the execution, it is the

tone.

Considering Dennis probably considers one of his movies being described as " fun" is a personal insult, we ll see how he approaches the material, tone wise.

Even Nolan and Fincher, his idols, have their fun moments, plenty of them actually.

Villeneuve seems to be that guy that ruins your party or nice dinner no matther what because life is suffering you know.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

Joker tone resulted in over 1 billion boxoffice and I wouldn't call it fun.  But it had an amazing central performance that kept people entertained. They would have to re-write Paul to make him entertaining. Most of the time, you just want to punch the fucker.

Out of these 3 only Isaac is miscast cause Duke is known as a tall man. It's a big deal for the character. But, hey, Magneto in CB is a musclebound chad not Ian McKellen yet McKellen was great. So it could work. I do hope Duke portion is minimized because that's where the book drags due to his wishy-washy persona and endless side things. You just want to get to the Fremen but Duke and his ramblings stand in the way. In fact, first 1/3 of the book feels like Duke is the main character while Paul is just an observer that things happen to. Chalamet and Zendaya should be fine. I'm more worried that, at least in the book, neither role is challenging and we know both are more than capable of tackling challenging material. Also, romance in the book is cringe.