FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Moana - 55.5/81.1M; Fantastic Beasts - 45.1M; Doctor Strange - 13.4M; Allied - 13/18M; Arrival - 11.3M; Trolls - 10.3M; Bad Santa 2 - 6.1/9M

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

This time last week there were people on here saying Beasts wasn't hitting $200 million based on its preview number. 

It's going to cruise past that number. 

Yeah I was skeptical it could hold well as a Potter film, but looking at a really good 45m second weekend. That said, it doesn't have a whole lot of room for good holds after this. Weekend after Thanksgiving is always rough for drops and then we head into the crowded December period. Will at least clear 200 though, so that multi is a win for the Potter franchise. 

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

FB has had a really impressive run since its slightly underwhelming OD. It's been a really great week for it. 

With a 9.5m Thursday, a 40m 2nd weekend is looking almost assured. In fact, I could see it in the 42-43m range, with a 5-day around 63m. 

It's OW was down 40% from DH1. Its second weeekend will be down only about 15%. 

Fantastic legs.

Spoiler

25f94feba829ce2e6099324b7eedcf21.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/f/f1/Queenie_smiling_Fantastic_Beasts_CC_Trailer_WM.JPG/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/640?cb=20160723233756

• Like 3

She was great... Sudol that is... As was the No Maj dude. Very, very charming. Both 'em. Kind of buoy the film really. I kept thinking that Joel Edgerton would've fit a villainous role in this one. Farrell was stale as fuck. Redmayne Redmayned about as hard as he could. Waterston tried really, really, really hard and did, well, okay. Ezra was solid. Morton was chilling and I could've used more of her. Voight and that entire subplot was fucking joke. Total waste. The beasts, a few of 'em, were great. Newt's reason for being there was shit. Easy fix there. Shocked it wasn't for different reason.

Eh, Rowling knocked off the rust. She'll do something better next go 'round.

Very glad to see it and Strange are holding very well. Moana kicking ass too. And, Arrival, maybe the best movie I've seen this year, holding MUCH better than I expected.  Go news all around for me.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

I didn't really update my Derby. Is it fucked? :sadben: 

8 hours ago, SWXII said:

Good to see another who did not get ensnared by the cult of Zootopia.

Zootopia is actually 11th :redcapes: 

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

At least she didn't lose grandpa.

Er, he's been dead for decades.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

She was great... Sudol that it. As was the No Maj dude. Very, very charming. Both 'em. Kind of buoy the film really. I kept thinking that Joel Edgerton would've fit a villainous role in this one. Farrell was stale as fuck. Redmayne Redmayned about as hard as he could. Waterston tried really, really, really hard and did, well, okay. Ezra was solid. Morton was chilling and I could've used more of her. Voight and that entire subplot was fucking joke. Total waste. The beasts, a few of 'em, were great. Newt's reason for being there was shit. Easy fix there. Shocked it wasn't for different reason.

Very glad to see it and Strange are holding very well. Moana kicking ass too. And, Arrival, maybe the best movie I've seen this year, holding MUCH better than I expected.  Go news all around for me.

i did admire how Rowling managed to make an original screenplay feel like a book adaptation that's rushing through as many plot points as possible. I guess she didn't want to stray too far from the style of the series.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i did admire how Rowling managed to make an original screenplay feel like a book adaptation that's rushing through as many plot points as possible. I guess she didn't want to stray too far from the style of the series.

I actually thought it showed how much of novice she was... But, yeah, a little bit of edit on her and it could've been great. As it stands, good fun but a bit of mess for me. Big heart as always from Rowling. And, some fascinating underpinnings at work too regarding the motives and secrets the characters are hiding.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

She was great... Sudol that is... As was the No Maj dude. Very, very charming. Both 'em. Kind of buoy the film really. I kept thinking that Joel Edgerton would've fit a villainous role in this one. Farrell was stale as fuck. Redmayne Redmayned about as hard as he could. Waterston tried really, really, really hard and did, well, okay. Ezra was solid. Morton was chilling and I could've used more of her. Voight and that entire subplot was fucking joke. Total waste. The beasts, a few of 'em, were great. Newt's reason for being there was shit. Easy fix there. Shocked it wasn't for different reason.

What do you mean by this?

23 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

What do you mean by this?

Spoiler

I believe he was there to set that giant bird free in Arizona. It would've made more sense, and I may have missed this, if there was there to locate and tame the Obscurus. A race betweeen he and Graves with Waterston, the auror, assisting as she had a connection and past with Miller/Obscurus as well. Instead, Newt's there by happenstance. He already had one captive and it would've suited the plot well. Not to mention, it would've given him the aura of being powerful given you'd see his confidence in taming one rather than mating dances, cuddly things stealing shining stuff and a shy twig. Would've added more depth to showdown between he, Waterson and Graves at the conclusion as well. And, would've shown even further how big of heart he truly had for the misunderstood.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ghostbusters has a good shot at finishing top 20 domestic now. :)

I've seen Arrival twice now, I wish it was doing bigger business. Looks like it's going to do $75m

That sure it will do but it won't stop there. baring some unexpected thing like losing way too many screens, Rogue One sucking all sci fi fandom, etc, it should comfortably exceed 75M. It will be at 62-63M on Sunday. I think that current projections have at at 90M with outside shot at 100M with awards legs.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why was The Amazing Spider-man 2 considered a disappointment and movies like Fantastic Beasts and Dr. Strange considered hits.

Won't they all gross around the same (650-750 m)?

Was it TASM 2's budget that doomed the series?

Amazing Spider-man 2 cost close to $300M before tax credits

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why was The Amazing Spider-man 2 considered a disappointment and movies like Fantastic Beasts and Dr. Strange considered hits.

Most Potter films did around 290-300m, FB is heading for 215-220m as it stands now. After its disappointing start FB is actually starting to develop some good legs so it seems. Most people expected around 250 for FB anyway and WW, it will gross around 750m, the same as PoA. 

TASM came after SM which went from 400 to 370 to 330, and then down to 260 and finally just squeezing over the 200m mark with TASM. Big fall from glory. Plus the fact it cost a ton.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Amazing Spider-man 2's marketing budget was huge and dominant up to its release. That's really what killed it.   

Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange had nowhere near the marketing budget and are better off. 

Marketing budgets are killing movies lately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kswiston said:

Amazing Spider-man 2 cost close to $300M before tax credits

Also, Sony only has the movie rights.

And the reception for the movie was worse than the first but still, I agree with Grey Ghost, the narrative that ASM2 was a failure always seemed a bit incorrect to me, it was a very decent gross even with that insane budget.

I think some leaked Sony e-mails suggest they thought the movie was hoped to be a 1B WW grosser.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2