Dementeleus

ROGUE ONE WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals R1 155.09m, Moana 12.7m, OCP 8.58m, CB 7.1m, FB 5.07m

3 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

TFA has a 92 % and an insane 8.2/10 rating on RT, it was highly praised, saying it's a bad movie is just pure nonsense, you can just say you didn't like it. It's the same shit over & over again with massive performers, it's part backlash and part minority who doesn't like the film reiterating it any chance they get, the majority said their piece and need not say more.

Of course it feels familiar, that's the point, what JJ & Larry Kasdan did was not only to make it feel as a direct continuation to the OT, which it is, but to make the audience feel like they were back in that world, that it felt comfortable, and warm, and safe in a way, go back to the roots sort of, introducing fantastic new characters that are widely loved (part of the reason for the huge gross) while bringing back beloved characters and introducing a new conflict, new threats with a sense of legacy.

It's just smart storytelling, and once you've done that right, you get to really play, which is what Rian Johnson & Colin Trevorrow will get to do, and it could literally go anywhere. 

I don't think many people realize what JJ accomplished, the PT soured quite a few people on Star Wars, he had to follow that, and find a way in, and that's how you do it. You don't just snap your fingers and make a great Star Wars movie, not only, but basically bring back the franchise in a big way (not counting animation films, because I don't) while introducing a brand new trilogy. Not only did JJ & Larry Kasdan and everyone else nailed it, but JJ also brought a real kinetic energy, dynamism to it.

For me, TFA does what the OT did, but better, in every way. 

I agree in general, but the Death Star rehash wasn't necessary. Other than that, I loved the movie. The new characters are great. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Couldn't go to a reserved seating cinema here so I'm in this rogue one queue 75 minutes early. This why I will never understand the lunatics who hate reserved seating.

What a cruel twist. Film starts in half an hour and two people in front of me in line are the only two other people here.

• Like 4

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Suprised it hasn't been spoiled for you yet :lol: You should definitely watch them though. There's a reason it's one of the defining trilogies in film history.

Well I have been spoiled a few things but I don't really mind. I mean, I started watching GoT knowing that Ned, Rob and Katlyn would all die :P 

9 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I do have to admit that in my theater at the end of the movie during the last 5 minutes people were literally gasping and laughing with joy. And when the credits rolled and the Star Wars theme came on there was some vociferous Applause and others were politely applauding as well.

The last five minutes was Disney making fanboy dreams come true. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The one moment in particular, a magical cinema moment. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Rots for a its fault left a big impact on SW fans....because it is better then the other two prequels and the only SW film for over a decade and did focus on a big storyline.

All lot of scenes and lines still to this day are quoted and memed a lot.

If ou say I have the high ground ! To a group of casal sw fans ....the know exactly what that means

If only the majority of those scenes and lines weren't quoted and memed for all the reasons the movie clearly didn't mean them to be. 

The sudden talk in the last year of "yeah, well, Lucas did something ORIGINAL with the prequels!" is utterly laughable. So much originality that crushing disappointment was and still is the resounding impact the prequels have left on the general public when they think about 1-3. Going through the motions filmmaking, stiff and at times downright terrible acting, a second movie that is woefully boring and it gave us those oh so wonderful sand memes. All of that is definitely the kind of reception Star Wars deserves when done well, no doubt about it.

That is, if you liked Star Wars being the punchline of the joke. Thankfully in just two short years, the reception has done a complete turnaround. 

• Like 5

A New Hope is a self-contained story. Works beautifully.

Empire abruptly reveals Darth to Luke's father and fails to standalone as well BUT unlike Awakens does reveal the central character's father and I think it's much better cliffhanger.

Jedi closes the trilogy and is self-contained.

Menace is a fucking mess. Least necessary Star Wars film.

Clones is necessary but a complete mess as well. Crap movie.

Sith closes the trilogy and present a self-contained story.

Awakens is brisk and fun, knocks of Han, reveals Ren to be his pup but arguably leaves more loose ends than any Star Wars film not named Menace. And, it's brazen in the loose ends too. Flaunts them.

• Like 1

Phantom Menace: terrible acting, mindless plot, boring and broken story, I wish I can unseen it.....

Attack of the Clone: Even worse, even disgusting acting and dialogue, the clone wars only started in the end, messy plotline.....

Revenge of the sith, Too-packed, the end of clone wars + Jedi purge + Reveal of darth sidious + Born of darth vader.....too much defining moment in one movie, overall still enjoyable, I like this more than return of jedi...The palpetine really work here!

What i dont understand about prequel is why George Lucas started the story with small Anakin? it was too backward, the 1st movie should be the preclude of clone wars event, Attack of the Clone should be the midst of Clone wars, connected the clone wars with the death of anakin's mom, while the last can be more detailed about how jedi defeated.

TFA surely enjoyable and everytime it gave me a chill when I see R2D2 and BB8 completing the map together, the whole EP7 works like a transition ceremony for me from old character to new character. But i still wont give TFA a high rating because I knew why it's work on me, because I damnly love the original trilogy!!! TFA storyline of coz is working as it just "copy" the ingredient of OT and make a new one....TFA may not be a good sequel but surely a good remake.....     

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

TFA has a 92 % and an insane 8.2/10 rating on RT, it was highly praised, saying it's a bad movie is just pure nonsense, you can just say you didn't like it. It's the same shit over & over again with massive performers, it's part backlash and part minority who doesn't like the film reiterating it any chance they get, the majority said their piece and need not say more.

Of course it feels familiar, that's the point, what JJ & Larry Kasdan did was not only to make it feel as a direct continuation to the OT, which it is, but to make the audience feel like they were back in that world, that it felt comfortable, and warm, and safe in a way, go back to the roots sort of, introducing fantastic new characters that are widely loved (part of the reason for the huge gross) while bringing back beloved characters and introducing a new conflict, new threats with a sense of legacy.

It's just smart storytelling, and once you've done that right, you get to really play, which is what Rian Johnson & Colin Trevorrow will get to do, and it could literally go anywhere. 

I don't think many people realize what JJ accomplished, the PT soured quite a few people on Star Wars, he had to follow that, and find a way in, and that's how you do it. You don't just snap your fingers and make a great Star Wars movie, not only, but basically bring back the franchise in a big way (not counting animation films, because I don't) while introducing a brand new trilogy. Not only did JJ & Larry Kasdan and everyone else nailed it, but JJ also brought a real kinetic energy, dynamism to it.

For me, TFA does what the OT did, but better, in every way. 

"it's bad" and "I thought it was bad" are the exact same thing when you are talking about a subject which is inherently 100% subjective.

Why are you trying to defend this? We have all heard every argument for and against TFA. I don't know why you are still arguing. "No, you're looking at it wrong, it's just smart storytelling" is just your opinion, get over it, you are not special.

• Like 1

OS numbers (to have a bit 'fodder' whilst waiting)

Moana  $102.8m, Finding Dory $541.2m  Pete’s Dragon $66.2m.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them  $493.2m, Sully $98.4m  Storks $108m The Accountant $63.4m

Allied  $35.9m  Jack Reacher: Never Go Back $102.2m Office Christmas Party $14.3m.

Sing  $11.5m, Nocturnal Animals $10.7m, Bridget Jones’s Baby $162.1m, The Girl On the Train $15.8m The Secret Life Of Pets $507m.

Trolls stands at $172.9m.

Insiders anticipate a global launch in the $250m-$300m range, of which $130m-$150m is expected from international markets and $120m-$150m in North America,

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/rogue-one-ready-to-rule-the-world/5112294.article

• Like 1

TFA made me care more about the new characters than the returning trio. That's an incredibly difficult thing to pull off. It recycled plot, but did not recycle story. It left several relationships and conflicts on the table that I can't wait to see explored.

In a way, I think we can only fully judge TFA after the new trilogy is done, depending on how well VIII and IX handle the seeds laid by this movie

• Like 8

TFA's a weird beast for me. I enjoy the hell out of it, it's rewatchable and I keep going back to it. But another part of me recognizes that it isn't really a greatly made film, it has flaws that are papered over with fun. It's pretty much how I feel about ROTJ. I'd say RO is a better made film, but I'd put it lower on my SW ranking.

Course in the end, I don't care how good a film is, as long as I can enjoy it.

• Like 2