FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

How in the world is a film about singing animals look shallow and stupid? It looks just as entertaining as any other animated film that comes out. Finding Dory has cute animals in the ocean. I fail to see the difference.

I was thinking in comparison to Zootopia. I really do keep forgetting Dory came out this year. There isn't much more to Sing than what's on the surface, it's fun and entertaining, but definitely that's all it is. And it isn't trying to be anything more either.

I like Sing, it was fun, it certainly has stuck with me more than Dory. It's cotton candy.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well, that's not exactly encouraging. Maybe it's just another Moana.

maybe it's even more kid-skewing than Moana and families decided to wait than going out in the evening.

6 minutes ago, yjs said:

thank you

out of the article, I like that they point out the previews getting not as much locations as during official release. I can imagine that not everyone reading here, especially the newer ones or guests, are aware about that

Animated comedy “Sing” has opened with a solid $1.7 million at 2,570 North American locations in Tuesday night preview screenings.... is launching Wednesday at 4,022 locations ....$70 million for the six-day period ending Monday. I.... 72% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2

Of course some animation is just intended for kids and their parents who will take them to whatever they want to see.

But some animation just has more to it than that and can speak on different levels to different age groups. Zootopia was like that, and so were the better Pixar movies (Up, Inside Out etc).

I'm not sayint there's anything wrong with animation aimed just at kids, it just doesn't appeal to me as an adult. 

There is nothing wrong with things preview because it came out on a Tuesday night with everyone still in school and it's not exactly well advertised that they will be previews on a Tuesday night LOL. This is definitely a movie that will not do gangbusters on previews or even opening day but it's business will certainly be spread out over the holidays.

• Like 3

Moana is also pretty mediocre. Stunning island visuals and a Polynesian backdrop can't hide the fact that it's the same tired Disney princess (or daughter of the chief) formula. Mulan meets Pocahontas but not as good as either, especially Mulan. The Rock's character is supposed to be what The Genie was to Aladdin but he falls flat. There's no real villain. And the songs are forgettable. After hearing so much about the greatness of Hamilton from white people eager to appear cool and not racist (Larry David was so right http://time.com/4339446/larry-david-hamilton-white-people/) I expected so much more from Moana's songs. 

The whole thing gave me newfound appreciation for Zootopia's greatness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Nothing wrong with Sing's previews. It won't draw adult audiences. This was never a question..

I'm just comparing it to Moana, which made $2.6 on Tuesday, compared to Sing's $1.7m. Now, maybe the two dates aren't totally comparable, considering Holidays, but it might mean that Sing isn't going to tower over WDAS'slatest movie.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

This coming from the one poster here who hates everything unless it has a budget of $5 and is directed by a German or doesn't star anyone from Hollywood. You're the most cynical  poster on this site.

Zootopia is one of the best movies of the year. Finding Dory is good too. Illumination movies suck. Sorry but it is what it is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Moana is also pretty mediocre. Stunning island visuals and a Polynesian backdrop can't hide the fact that it's the same tired Disney princess (or daughter of the chief) formula. Mulan meets Pocahontas but not as good as either, especially Mulan. The Rock's character is supposed to be what The Genie was to Aladdin but he falls flat. There's no real villain. And the songs are forgettable. After hearing so much about the greatness of Hamilton from white people eager to appear cool and not racist (Larry David was so right http://time.com/4339446/larry-david-hamilton-white-people/) I expected so much more from Moana's songs. 

The whole thing gave me newfound appreciation for Zootopia's greatness. 

Haven't seen Moana yet, but Zootopia and Kubo were by far the two best animated movies I've seen this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm just comparing it to Moana, which made $2.6 on Tuesday, compared to Sing's $1.7m. Now, maybe the two dates aren't totally comparable, considering Holidays, but it might mean that Sing isn't going to tower over WDAS'slatest movie.

Moana had some great reviews though and it felt way more suitable for adult audiences than Sing. That's where previews are coming from mostly adults.Right?

The bigger thing is all the wide releases are turning out to be mediocre to dogshit to end the year and going into next year.  Assassin's Creed is done after the first few days.  Passengers is selling terribly.  Why Him has bad reviews.  Live by Night is mediocre.  Underworld is terrible.  Silence has very limited commercial appeal.  XXX: Unnecessary Sequel is awful.  Monster Trucks was already written off by the studio.  

Rogue One, La La Land, Sing, Patriot's Day and Split are going to need to perform to get through into mid-February.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Olive said:

Fox’s video game adaptation “Assassin’s Creed” generated $1.4 million in previews at 2,470 sites and Sony’s “Passengers” took in $1.2 million at 2,400 screens.

This doesn't seem to bad, does it? I really don;t have a point of reference though.