FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s - R1 17.6m

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But then again, even the acclaimed animations are kind of cliched. Was Zootopia's meaning original? We have seen it like a hundred times... I 'll call this again, but the last time I saw a really original animation it was Inside Out. I can't really think of another one that came lately..

but when it comes to originality there are not many live-action films that are truly innovative and original, either. 

think it comes down to the approach, whether the filmmakers' main interest is to make a good movie that they believe is, or to make a movie that sells well to the audience which is not necessarily related to the creators' visions. Sometimes it could be both and it can't be black or white tho.

1 minute ago, James said:

Side note, but is anyone else annoyed with Disney and TFA fucking the SW-Extended Universe cannon. Things were looking so nice with Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi book series. UGH. 

Not really. There was no way you could have made Episode VII otherwise. And useless to pretend if Lucas had made VII we'd have any different result.

In terms of worldwide grosses, it earned another $16 million overseas. That brings its foreign total to $166.8m and its worldwide cume to $357m in around a week.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/12/21/rogue-one-box-office-star-wars-crossing-200m-u-s-tops-350m-global/#7313980b26cf

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

That's not really saying much, considering that both Passengers and AC aren't kid-friendly at all, but with a lack of real family options aside from RO, it'll very likely make more then 200m.

Point. But they aren't really adult friendly either.  :ph34r:

Spoiler

With their 32% and 20% RT scores.

8 minutes ago, yjs said:

but when it comes to originality there are not many live-action films that are truly innovative and original, either. 

think it comes down to the approach, whether the filmmakers' main interest is to make a good movie that they believe is, or to make a movie that sells well to the audience which is not necessarily related to the creators' visions. Sometimes it could be both and it can't be black or white tho.

It feels like a breath of fresh air though every time I see an animation that is not about the same "be different" idea. This is certainly a very important lesson that every child should be taught but aren't there others? Like no one had thought of teaching children to accept their emotions before Inside Out? Animation in the last years has been a continuous repetition of the same concepts. It's only the technical aspects that change. 

Edited by FantasticBeasts

3 minutes ago, James said:

Side note, but is anyone else annoyed with Disney and TFA fucking the SW-Extended Universe cannon. Things were looking so nice with Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi book series. UGH. 

Eh, so much of the post-RotJ EU was a 50-car pileup of dog crap that a cleansing was needed, and at that point better to start fresh.

Now I think they should mine the EU like the MCU mines Marvel comics to inspire some characters and plot arcs, but so far they have declined to do so.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, James said:

no... 

even if I'd play PC games, ... I think film is a bit like Marvel's Earth 199.999 aka MCU. Marvel has different Earth versions, including one, where all characters are apes. In clothes,...

It is one medium world, often they mix not well.

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Point. But they aren't really adult friendly either.  :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

Hey poor RT scores haven't stopped parents from taking their kids to see a film, just cause it's poorly received, otherwise something like The Nut Job, wouldn't have had a sequel greenlit in the first place (it's doomed now though).

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Where's FB numbers?

I guess in +/- an hour or so

That is all, what is released yet, #1 only estimates. Like yesterday. They do that seldom during weekdays. Very seldom

Daily Domestic Chart for Tuesday December 20th, 2016

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 (1) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Walt Disney $17,600,000 n/c 4,157 $4,234   $190,277,831 5
- (-) Miss Sloane EuropaCorp $84,796 +4% 1,463 $58   $3,354,202 26
- (-) Shut In EuropaCorp $4,072 -12% 78 $52   $6,873,331 40
  • Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Hey poor RT scores haven't stopped parents from taking their kids to see a film, just cause it's poorly received, otherwise something like The Nut Job, wouldn't have had a sequel greenlit in the first place (it's doomed now though).

My joke was that Passengers and AC aren't adult friendly. (Those were currently their RT scores respectively.)

Inside Out came short of getting a Best Picture nomination for no real reason except that it's an animated movie, it should have gotten one (and there were 2 available spots). It was close to being the best-reviewed title of the year overall. It even got nominated for best screenplay...

I love the 2015 Best Picture nominees, I watched them all except Brooklyn and think they were great, but Inside Out was at least as good. :wub:

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, James said:

Not at all. I thought the books got worse with every new series. It started out great with the Thrawn trilogy, but the further it went the more stupid things became. There were minor good to great things in there, but the general approach was severely lacking. Some of the stuff was so blatantly the opposite of what Star Wars should be (Karen Traviss books, urgh) that I ended up not bothering anymore.

• Like 1