FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

I didn't mind Fantastic Beasts. Like the Harry Potter films, I'm sure the franchise will get better with time. 

I gave it a B. Not boring at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I happened to find Mad Max: Fury Road incredibly boring. I asked myself "What's even the point of this movie?".

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I didn't mind Fantastic Beasts. Like the Harry Potter films, I'm sure the franchise will get better with time. 

I gave it a B. Not boring at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I happened to find Mad Max: Fury Road incredibly boring. I asked myself "What's even the point of this movie?".

Massive explosions, beautiful landscapes/aesthetics and rock music.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Be careful of the Mad Max Mafia. They are everywhere here.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

It's almost certainly the demographics. NZ has the highest population of Pacific Islanders in the world, if I recall correctly.

Wow, I looked it up and you're right. I didn't realize the demographics of Australia and New Zealand were that different. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

@Grand Moff Tele

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JB33 said:

8 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Ruh-Roh! :o:o:o

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

It's almost certainly the demographics. NZ has the highest population of Pacific Islanders in the world, if I recall correctly.

Yes. Polynesia is basically the triangle formed by Hawaii, New Zealand and Easter Island. Although there are obviously differences Polynesian people share a similar cultural and linguistic history. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, La La Panda said:

Disney should re-release Force Awakens the first week of December until VIII comes out this year in an attempt to get it over 1b dom.

At least to make it pass snow white. It's been in the top 10 adjusted forever and ages. God dammit Snow white.... 

Yeah, I know Mad Max is hugely popular especially here, but I'll be honest I was underwhelmed. I actually liked it better the first time. I think my over-reaction to that movie is because I tend to do that sometimes -- guilty as charged -- of overreacting the opposite way when I hear people giving undue praise to something. To me, for instance, Gravity was a B- movie. It had some fantastic cinematography, truly awesome shots, and it WAS really exciting! The movie's pacing was one of its greatest assets. Clooney was hilarious. It was an overall good movie. What I didn't enjoy was the poor acting by Bullock (I am just going to say "woof woof, cry cry, woof woof, cry cry" and you should get why I didn't enjoy the performance) and the fact that Gravity is on the same plane of existence as Transformers or Independence Day, only not as good as either of those movies, yet it is given praise like it's The Godfather. I am not a hater, Gravity is definitely a solid movie, but it's a popcorn blockbuster. It doesn't have some deeper message, it's not a thoughtful film in any respect, it's just sheer spectacle.

The same is true with Mad Max. It's one of the most mindless movies I've ever seen. I still gave it a B after i saw it the first time, because the action and explosions are unquestionably top notch. The cheesy villains, lack of any coherent plot whatsoever, and general silliness of it all make it a very solidly B movie. I don't think it ever aspired to be more than that. The idea that it could be talked about like it's this cinema-changing Oscar worthy movie that belongs on the same level as things like Birdman or The Big Short to me is just ludicrous. It's laughably funny, really, I mean I love it that people want to elevate a mindless blockbuster to that level because, hey, sure beats praising some of the boring Oscar bait I usually see held up to such high levels. That being said, it's hard not to laugh at the idea of Mad Max and Gravity as "awards movies" or as esteemed masterpieces of cinema. 

Of course, I fully realize that people will like what they like, and if someone thinks those movies are the greatest things ever, hey, so be it. We all have our own tastes. I just... don't really get it. My mind cannot understand logically why you'd put Gravity or Mad Max on a different plane than Transformers. They're all big dumb action movies with nothing to offer but pretty spectacle. 

4 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Can someone tell me what Fantastic Beasts has grossed in the UK?  Didn't @Noctis say it was now the highest grossing film in the UK this year?

In US dollars, it's $56.15m

According to BOM, it's the fourth highest grossing over there.

NVM, @Christmas Baumer, Deadline says this:

In the UK, Rogue has made away with £50.7M ($62.6M). That takes it past Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (estimated £50.65M through December 31) to notch the No. 1 spot of the year after just 17 days in release.

Edited by fracfar
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah, I know Mad Max is hugely popular especially here, but I'll be honest I was underwhelmed. I actually liked it better the first time. I think my over-reaction to that movie is because I tend to do that sometimes -- guilty as charged -- of overreacting the opposite way when I hear people giving undue praise to something. 

-snip-

14 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

The same is true with Mad Max. It's one of the most mindless movies I've ever seen. I still gave it a B after i saw it the first time, because the action and explosions are unquestionably top notch. The cheesy villains, lack of any coherent plot whatsoever, and general silliness of it all make it a very solidly B movie. I don't think it ever aspired to be more than that. The idea that it could be talked about like it's this cinema-changing Oscar worthy movie that belongs on the same level as things like Birdman or The Big Short to me is just ludicrous. It's laughably funny, really, I mean I love it that people want to elevate a mindless blockbuster to that level because, hey, sure beats praising some of the boring Oscar bait I usually see held up to such high levels. That being said, it's hard not to laugh at the idea of Mad Max and Gravity as "awards movies" or as esteemed masterpieces of cinema. 

Of course, I fully realize that people will like what they like, and if someone thinks those movies are the greatest things ever, hey, so be it. We all have our own tastes. I just... don't really get it. My mind cannot understand logically why you'd put Gravity or Mad Max on a different plane than Transformers. They're all big dumb action movies with nothing to offer but pretty spectacle. 

@Grand Moff Tele right now:

CP1igFZ.gif

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Can someone tell me what Fantastic Beasts has grossed in the UK?  Didn't @Noctis say it was now the highest grossing film in the UK this year?

It should bump Finding Dory to be the third highest grossing film there.

Annnnndddd immediately get knocked back down by Rogue One, as @fracfar says.

Edited by elcaballero

23 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

So Passengers opened to about the equivalent of 16 mill US on it's OD in Oz?  

Pretty terrific.

Can someone explain to me about the Australia-US conversion thing? Is there a rule I'm not aware of?

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Can someone explain to me about the Australia-US conversion thing? Is there a rule I'm not aware of?

It's not an exact science but basically whatever a film makes in Australia, you multiply it by about 10 to get what the equivalent number is in North America.

• Like 2