FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Can someone explain to me about the Australia-US conversion thing? Is there a rule I'm not aware of?

It's just giving an indication of a film's relative performance given the huge difference in size between the 2 markets. Basically the Domestic box office in USD is 10 times the size of the Australian box office in AUD. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

I'd agree, but removing the headphone jack was an awful idea, and was as courageous as Han shooting Greedo

Courage

I don't think the wireless headphones are that bad though. They're ridiculously expensive, so I'm glad there's an adapter for normal earbuds

19 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah, I know Mad Max is hugely popular especially here, but I'll be honest I was underwhelmed. I actually liked it better the first time. I think my over-reaction to that movie is because I tend to do that sometimes -- guilty as charged -- of overreacting the opposite way when I hear people giving undue praise to something. To me, for instance, Gravity was a B- movie. It had some fantastic cinematography, truly awesome shots, and it WAS really exciting! The movie's pacing was one of its greatest assets. Clooney was hilarious. It was an overall good movie. What I didn't enjoy was the poor acting by Bullock (I am just going to say "woof woof, cry cry, woof woof, cry cry" and you should get why I didn't enjoy the performance) and the fact that Gravity is on the same plane of existence as Transformers or Independence Day, only not as good as either of those movies, yet it is given praise like it's The Godfather. I am not a hater, Gravity is definitely a solid movie, but it's a popcorn blockbuster. It doesn't have some deeper message, it's not a thoughtful film in any respect, it's just sheer spectacle.

The same is true with Mad Max. It's one of the most mindless movies I've ever seen. I still gave it a B after i saw it the first time, because the action and explosions are unquestionably top notch. The cheesy villains, lack of any coherent plot whatsoever, and general silliness of it all make it a very solidly B movie. I don't think it ever aspired to be more than that. The idea that it could be talked about like it's this cinema-changing Oscar worthy movie that belongs on the same level as things like Birdman or The Big Short to me is just ludicrous. It's laughably funny, really, I mean I love it that people want to elevate a mindless blockbuster to that level because, hey, sure beats praising some of the boring Oscar bait I usually see held up to such high levels. That being said, it's hard not to laugh at the idea of Mad Max and Gravity as "awards movies" or as esteemed masterpieces of cinema. 

Of course, I fully realize that people will like what they like, and if someone thinks those movies are the greatest things ever, hey, so be it. We all have our own tastes. I just... don't really get it. My mind cannot understand logically why you'd put Gravity or Mad Max on a different plane than Transformers. They're all big dumb action movies with nothing to offer but pretty spectacle. 

I can agree with you about Mad Max in that it's an absurd blockbuster that's pretty off the beaten path. I think that people put it on a higher plane than your common blockbuster because of how gorgeous the movie looks and a lot of the coordination and stuntwork that went into the film. Technically, it's a thundering achievement, which is why it won so many technical awards without getting any praise for its screenplay, acting, etc. And it's not cinema-changing as much as it is refreshing, because it's always nice to see a film that can hearken back to the olden days of practical stuntwork and visual effects that look just as good as most of the CGI-fests you'll see today. 

I think a lot of the themes that Fury Road tried to explore fell flat, not because of the message but because it got lost amidst all the visual hoo-ha and action. But it is still a head above other blockbusters because it at least tried to be different and bold and unique, which isn't something you can say for most $100m+ budgeted films today.

I'll try not to talk about how wrong you are on Gravity. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

So assuming a BP nod, Arrival might be able to creep its way over 100m with an expansion?

Probably. It's still having $400k+ days in 545 theaters, so a solid expansion to something like 1,200 theaters after a successful round of Oscar nominations should do the trick. Anything beyond that is dead, though, which sucks because Paramount could have had a $125m+ grosser if they hadn't botched this so badly.

Passengers seems to be doing well in France, as well:

21 minutes ago, fracfar said:

Also @robertman2, after Apple ditched the jack, Samsung is reportedly considering removing it too: https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/06/samsung-galaxy-s8-may-drop-headphone-jack/

I am literally about to get a 6s plus instead of a 7 in large part because I don't want to lose the jack. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fracfar said:

Also @robertman2, after Apple ditched the jack, Samsung is reportedly considering removing it too: https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/06/samsung-galaxy-s8-may-drop-headphone-jack/

Apple weren't even the first, Motorola ditched it for the Moto Z. It's only a matter of time really.

I was looking at the UK box office and for me, the biggest surprise of last year wasn't The Jungle Book, Deadpool or even Fantastic Beasts but Bridget Jones's Baby! When you consider that it was 12 years since the last film, I thought it would be a moderate hit but it outgrossed the likes of Batman v Superman, Captain America and Dory. The BFG also did very well despite flopping elsewhere but that wasn't as surprising as Roald Dahl is revered in the UK.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, yjs said:

I didn't think I would but I happened to catch Sing with two friends and we felt lowkey insulted by 

Reveal hidden contents

but other than that it was harmless, I guess. 

Wait, what exactly did they do? Did you watch a subtitled version?

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Wait, what exactly did they do? Did you watch a subtitled version?

49 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

They were just making fun of k-pop.  I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Haven't seen the film yet, but based on a very short clip I found on youtube (looks to be an official release) it's Japanese, not Korean.

I don't want to judge having not seen the context, but from that clip it feels very much like a caricature of J-pop played for laughs. Including a part where the J-pop band doesn't understand the Koala's instruction to stop their performance. Keep in mind that aside from that being a stereotype, it's not even true. Members of J-pop/K-pop bands generally do understand English, and I think anyone would have understood the accompanying gestures.

I don't know if that's how @yjs's friends interpreted it.

Also - for the record, red pandas are from China, not Japan.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, fracfar said:

It's better that this wireless headphone thing is being done sooner than later... It was inevitable. Plus, you can still listen to music with them. 

but then don't you need to charge your headphones?

• Like 2