FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread (Dec-30-Jan 2nd) 3/4-day #s R1 49.5m/64.3m, Sing 42.8m/56.4m, Pass 16.15m/20.7m, Moana 10.97m/14.3m, WH 10.6m/13m, Fences 10m/12.7m

24 minutes ago, stripe said:

I am expecting lower dailies. Around 6M Tuesday, 4.5M Wednesday, 4M Thursday.

Then a 4th weekend like 9M / 13M / 8M

I could definitely see that too, though I'm hoping since a number of schools remain off this next week it'll slightly - slightly - help the midweek numbers. We shall see though I agree with your weekend take for sure. I think $30M weekend is reasonable and represents a steeper drop as usual for post holidays but a believable and realistic hold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stripe said:

I am expecting lower dailies. Around 6M Tuesday, 4.5M Wednesday, 4M Thursday.

Then a 4th weekend like 9M / 13M / 8M

Which will take it to 485M with a 30M weekend.

After that to expect 40M from all the remaining weekends combined and 25M from all the remaining weekdays for,

485 + 40 + 25 = 550 is reasonable and even conservative imo.

I feel 560 is realistic (which will be a 3.6x multi).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Thats not the formula we use. It's not an exact science and I'm obviously not saying that's exactly would be 16 million dollars in the US. Anyway it doesn't really matter.

Yeh, UK box office Analyst in the the Guardian says films are expected to open with about 10% of their US opening here in the U.K.

He doesn't use exchange rates though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yjs said:

yup, subtitled version.

They were Japanese characters singing J-Pop. Different two things ;) 

Yup, I understand that they were just minor comic relief characters and they weren't supposed to be treated equally and have depths like others but them being unnecessarily dumb/annoying/kawaii and not being able to communicate with Buster Moon was associated with nothing but their caricatured "J-Popness". (it's also in the promo clips so I don't think it's a spoiler)

like watching William Hung being ridiculed next to "normal people" that are Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood and wondering if it's a pure coincidence or we actually need a better Asian representation in Hollywood

I think I found an official version:

Subtitled in Japanese.

Have to say, a lower budget can sometimes lead to ugly-looking characters. And the teeth on the red pandas definitely seem to play into Asian stereotypes.

The issue is if you call small or irrelevant things racist.

The charge of racism goes from a huge deal to a label that loses all meaning to a lot of people.

So if you call Trump a racist, the idea is 'well people think everything is racist'

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I don't know guys when I hear people complain about racism in such innocuous looking things in movies it reminds me of this I meme that I saw on Facebook once where someone said that we the Irish are incredibly offended by The Lucky Charms leprechaun. Then at the bottom of the meme it says " LOL just kidding... we are Irish we don't get offended by shit" That to me is a much better attitude. There's just so many other things in life to get worked up about. Searching and digging and looking at every single possible angle to try to find some microscopic modicum of some perceived kind of racist innuendo to me just seems like a really big waste of time.

If someone goes around calling everyone's mother a disease stained whore, do you tell that person to chill out or try to convince all the people he insulted to grin and bear it?

Seems kind of odd to do the latter.

How long would internet forums last if trolling was encouraged and users were forced to happily tolerate it?

Keep in mind I'm not saying controversial art should be heavily discouraged but rather pointless or counter-productive trolling.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Christmas Baumer said:

I don't know guys when I hear people complain about racism in such innocuous looking things in movies it reminds me of this I meme that I saw on Facebook once where someone said that we the Irish are incredibly offended by The Lucky Charms leprechaun. Then at the bottom of the meme it says " LOL just kidding... we are Irish we don't get offended by shit" That to me is a much better attitude. There's just so many other things in life to get worked up about. Searching and digging and looking at every single possible angle to try to find some microscopic modicum of some perceived kind of racist innuendo to me just seems like a really big waste of time.

Amen.

SJW crap is out of control.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If someone goes around calling everyone's mother a disease stained whore, do you tell that person to chill out or try to convince all the people he insulted to grin and bear it?

How long would internet forums last if trolling was encouraged and users were forced to happily tolerate it?

Keep in mind I'm not saying controversial art should be heavily discouraged but rather pointless or counter-productive trolling.

However the issue it seems almost everything is offensive and mean to certain people with fragile sensibilities. 

There's nothing wrong with shock value here and there but there are real dangers associated with bigotry becoming normalized.

I don't even think this is debatable anymore. We're seeing the fallout of normalized bigotry in real time.

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

However the issue it seems almost everything is offensive and mean to certain people with fragile sensibilities. 

It's annoying when people are too polite but it's flat out dangerous when bigotry becomes normalized.

That bigotry tends to bleed into public policy in terrible ways.

People give you shit for using the N-word? Sorry that's not worse than a neo nazi agenda spreading globally.

Let's get fucking real.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There's nothing wrong with shock value here and there but there are real dangers associated with bigotry becoming normalized.

I don't even think this is debatable anymore. We're seeing the fallout of normalized bigotry in real time.

The issue is we think Bigotry goes away by us living together or becoming diverse and etc... That is not always true, people put walls between each other still.

Like 10 years, would I hear someone be anti islamic?....Now its almost daily I hear anti Muslim jokes. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's annoying when people are too polite but it's flat out dangerous when bigotry becomes normalized.

People give you shit for using the N-word? Sorry that's not worse than a neo nazi agenda spreading globally.

Let's get fucking real.

No one should tolerate the N word.

However should you be shouted at for culturally appropriating Yoga from Indian culture...

You should visit a college these days and see how much racism and bigotry has been trivialized.

Also I am being hypocritical now but this topic should move to the politics forum.

Edited by Lordmandeep

25 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What exactly are you referring to?  None of that was in Sing and if you are referring to the scene in La la Land, the guy who talks like that is a dick and is actually the cause of Mia's disgust towards him and her current situation.  So I'm not sure what you are implying?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No one should tolerate the N word.

However should you be shouted at for culturally appropriating Yoga from Indian culture...

You should visit a college these days and see how much racism and bigotry has been trivialized

The vast majority of people don't live in a Liberal Arts dorm room.

Meanwhile a politically incorrect neofascist has been elected leader of the free world.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Let's get fucking real.

I saw Hidden Figures last night and the last page or so has done a good job demonstrating a line from Octavia Spencer in the movie: "Just because it's the way it is doesn't make it right."

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Christmas Baumer said:

What exactly are you referring to?  None of that was in Sing and if you are referring to the scene in La la Land, the guy who talks like that is a dick and is actually the cause of Mia's disgust towards him and her current situation.  So I'm not sure what you are implying?

I'm referring to the general backlash against so-called political correctness.

• Like 7

Just now, grey ghost said:

The vast majority of people don't live in a Liberal Arts dorm room.

Meanwhile a politically incorrect neofascist has been elected leader of the free world.

Yea, this is a thread about the box office, GG.  If you have strong opinions on this stuff, please take it to the Real Life forum.  Let's stick to the numbers please.   I don't think Sing is overtly racist and I don't think this is the place to talk about it.  But if you do, please, feel free, and I'll continue this discussion with you elsewhere.

• Like 1