WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 40): Hidden Figures 22.8M | Rogue One 22.1M | Sing 20.7M | Underworld 13.7M | La La Land 10.1M | Passengers 8.8M | A Monster Calls 2.1M

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I like your weekend recap stuff but sometimes when you make bold blanket statements like what you just made, and you do it often, I'd like to know where you get your opinions from? Like what are you basing this stuff on? How can you possibly know what is going to do what. Bye bye man looks like another generic January horror movie and just like other generic January horror movies it has the potential to open up to silly numbers like 10 or 15 million. All I'm saying is that it would be interesting if you gave us comparisons and reasons as to why you think what you think.

I'm basing off of personal opinion. Bye Bye Man will probably surprise though because STX Entertainment is bold and successful, but with Friday The 13th coming up it will be front-loaded.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm feeling Patriots Day will be the only opener to make more than $15M. Live by Night's ad campaign has been really muted and unpersuasive (the reviews and direct competition from Patriots Day won't help either), while the other openers look like January dumps.

I think Patriot's Day will probably surprise next weekend and it's more known(advertised) than Live By Night. Gangster movies aren't as sucessful like American Gangster, or even when you adjust the totals of Scarface or Goodfellas it(Live By Night) won't be close to those.

• Like 1

A little disappointed with Hidden Figures numbers. I think the snowstorm probably affected it. Not surprised by the A+ cinemascore. This movie will get VERY strong WOM. Hoping for a strong hold next week and hopefully it gets a BP  nom. 

6 minutes ago, ban1o said:

A little disappointed with Hidden Figures numbers. I think the snowstorm probably affected it. Not surprised by the A+ cinemascore. This movie will get VERY strong WOM. Hoping for a strong hold next week and hopefully it gets a BP  nom. 

If not for the snowstorm, I'm sure it would have gone over $25M. I'm still happy with the numbers. If Selma (which got almost snubbed by the academy) can get almost a 5x multiplier, no way HF will miss it.

34 minutes ago, ban1o said:

It's limited by the number of theaters and screens it got (just like Arrival was).  It's only in 2471 theaters, and in those theaters, it's mostly just getting one screen.  In good news, that means pent-up demand is not being satisfied, so we should see some long legs, like Arrival.

It would not surprise me if the film doesn't actually drop more than 20% next weekend - even with all the new openers.  It will not lose a single screen and MLK weekend should be box office gold for this film.

• Like 1

1. $5.1M FRI for hit toon which breaks $200M today. May do $22M wknd lifting dom cume to remarkable $215M.

drops from #1 spot FRI w/ $6.1M & may be headed for about $21M wknd. Big post-holiday slowdown, cume shd rise to around $476M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I think at this point Rogue one has done everything it has needed to do. It's going to gross 500 million and it's going to make a billion worldwide. I think Disney and lucasfilm are going to be over the moon with these kind of numbers

Agreed. It's doing great. Running 22% behind TDK's dailies the last couple days. If that continues, it will finish at $550 million. That's a heck of a number and it could definitely go higher if the Friday number was deflated by winter weather problems.