DAJK

Weekend Thread...Friday numbers (Deadline) HF: 6M| BBM: 5M| PD: 4.2| LLL: 3.97 (PG 18) - NOT THE PIRACY THREAD (OR THE POLITICS THREAD)

1 hour ago, Doctor RTH gone Rouge said:

Canada WE 

1-R1,Sing,LLL,PD,MT,HF,Pass,UWB,Moan,Lion

Sing cume is already +20% over Moana

Woo! Not surprised R1 is still #1 in Canada. I was at the theatre tonight to see Patriots Day and I could tell the screening for R1 was packed. This is on a Monday night. Remember it's not a holiday here either like in the US. 

• Like 3

I always found it strange how American sports movies do so well here. Australia was the #1 foreign market for The Blind Side.(Although it did come out in February here)

Moneyball made 4 times the UK in Australia. 

Edited by DeeCee

44 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Woo! Not surprised R1 is still #1 in Canada. I was at the theatre tonight to see Patriots Day and I could tell the screening for R1 was packed. This is on a Monday night. Remember it's not a holiday here either like in the US. 

Hidden Figures also isn't playing in nearly as many theatres I don't think :(

8 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Movies like Hidden Figure almost always dont perform as strongly in Canada.

There's some pretty easy explanation.

Only 3% of Canadas population are afro-american.

In the USA, it's 12,5%.

It's sad, that colour still plays such a big role in moviechoice.

17 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

In the USA, it's 12,5%.

black Canadian is the more appropriate word to use. A large percentage of black Canadians are from the West Indian/Caribbean dysphoria. They have totally different culture and tastes from African americans.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

In the USA, it's 12,5%.

Whether it's race, religion, gender, sexual preference, people want to see movies they identify with

5 weeks at # 1 for Rogue one in Canada! That's amazing! But not all that surprising....films are quite a bit leggier in that market. I'm still pissed that Tribute stopped reporting box office figures from Canada. Would have liked to have known the totals for RO, FD, Deadpool and FB for 2016.

Edited by Lumos

12 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Who would you rather have winning BP, LLL or Moonlight?

I think we'll have to wait for PGA/DGA to be sure, I still think there's a chance that LLL, while loved, is not necessarily the consensus choice, it is actually a little more divisive than the other two judging from RT (20 rotten, compared to 3 for moonlight/8 for Manchester), which may be a little problematic when it comes to weighted ballot, that plus the SAG ensemble snub... I don't know, maybe it'll steamroll the season, but I don't think it's a certainty yet at this stage.

Not that it's a lock yet, but Braveheart was snubbed by SAG Ensemble (didn't get a single other nomination at the SAGs back then); yet, it won best picture. LLL can still win. Also, Birdman had a few worse reviews than Boyhood but still won.

However, I do agree that PGA and DGA will determine where LLL is at. For now, I'm staying optimistic for LLL.

Edited by BenedictL11

10 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Patriot's Day will probably lose Lionsgate money, but I could see it selling well on home media like 13 Hours did though. 

I feel the same way, too. Such a shame that it did horrible at the BO with such great reviews. :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

Not that it's a lock yet, but Braveheart was snubbed by SAG Ensemble (didn't get a single other nomination at the SAGs back then); yet, it won best picture. LLL can still win. Also, Birdman had a few worse reviews than Boyhood but still won.

However, I do agree that PGA and DGA will determine where LLL is at. For now, I'm staying optimistic for LLL.

LLL barely has an ensemble to speak of. Thinking it has less of a chance to win because of no Ensemble nom is the same as thinking Birdman was less likely to win because it didn't have an Editing nod. It means nothing. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Just watched La La Land again in glorious IMAX this past weekend.  I just can't stop thinking about good this movie is, and how well made it is. So many memorable scenes in it. Saw it about a month ago, and it has just stuck with me ever since. The soundtrack. THE SOUNDTRACK. Just incredible. Definitely top 1-2 film of the year. No movie has swept me away like this movie has. 

Emma Stone should win an oscar.

One slight change...

Emma Stone will win an oscar. :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

LLL barely has an ensemble to speak of. Thinking it has less of a chance to win because of no Ensemble nom is the same as thinking Birdman was less likely to win because it didn't have an Editing nod. It means nothing. 

If it does lose PGA and DGA, its chances will go down. If it wins both of them, its chances will go up.

Staying optimistic, buddy. ;)

Have a nice day.

Edited by BenedictL11

25 minutes ago, BenedictL11 said:

I feel the same way, too. Such a shame that it did horrible at the BO with such great reviews. :(

Apparently the subject matter was just too much for some people, and it was too soon as well. 

• Like 1