WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 29): Split 40M | xXx 20.1M | Hidden Figures 15.7M | Sing 9M | La La Land 8.4M | The Founder 3.4M

59 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

It seemed obvious XXX was going to flop and Split was going to be big in the last final weeks.

The budget is 85 million. With what looks to be around 20 mill opening this is far from a flop. I would imagine it grossing fairly well overseas so a final totalof around 200 million while not awesome is far from a flop.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

The budget is 85 million. With what looks to be around 20 mind are opening this is far from a flock. I would imagine in working fairly well overseas so a final think of around 200 million while not awesome is far from a flop.

Blink twice if you are being kept captive against your will and are sending a coded message out.

• Like 4

I know on the $100 mil front everybody's looking at the failure of Passengers but how about the success of Arrival? It'll be at $95.5 mil after this weekend, inches from the 4x multi. A BP nom and a modest re-expansion will be enough to get it to the century. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxmoser3 said:

2002: the release of Resident Evil, The Ring, xXx, a Shyamalan thriller, and a Spider Man film.

2017: The release of Resident Evil, The Ring, xXx, a Shyamalan thriller, and a Spider Man film.

yes we are frozen in time. Except all of them were hits in 2002, and only two will be hits in 2017.

Decided to look at a 15 year timeline to see which franchises repeat. Looked at 2001-2003 and then 2015-now. In the 2001-2003 timeframe we had the following movies which have new installments in the past 2 years or within the next 12 months:

• Harry Potter
  • LOTR
  • Star Wars
  • Spider-Man
  • Pirates
  • The Mummy
  • Jurassic Park
  • Planet of the Apes
  • The Fast and The Furious
  • The Ring
  • Bridget Jones
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding
  • Ice Age
  • Bourne
  • Barbershop
  • xXx
  • Finding Nemo
  • X-Men
  • James Bond
  • Tomb Raider
  • Terminator
  • Bad Boys
  • Hulk

More than half of the top 20 grossing movies from those 3 years are the same franchises still being released in theaters 15 years later.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

I know on the $100 mil front everybody's looking at the failure of Passengers but how about the success of Arrival? It'll be at $95.5 mil after this weekend, inches from the 4x multi. A BP nom and a modest re-expansion will be enough to get it to the century. 

If it wasn't hitting DVD so soon I would agree - we shall see.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, baumer said:

The budget is 85 million. With what looks to be around 20 mill opening this is far from a flop. I would imagine it grossing fairly well overseas so a final totalof around 200 million while not awesome is far from a flop.

A final total of 200M isn't a flop, but I believe it would be more near than far of being one.

19 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Shyamalan is back big time. The Visit and Split have done it. Thank god. Sick of all those caucasian directors being worshipped for churning out those star wars and marvel flicks.

Real talent is that who can make original films and rake in money.

Well, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson have done that too

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Shyamalan is back big time. The Visit and Split have done it. Thank god. Sick of all those caucasian directors being worshipped for churning out those star wars and marvel flicks.

Lighten up Francis. Those directors aren't being judged on their originality anyway. They're being judged on their superior ability to bring properties the public love to life on the big screen. Unfortunately for you, those directors will continue to be very successful and ring in the accolades and endorsements.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yeah, fuck Ryan Coogler and Taika Watihi! Stupid Caucasians!

• Like 3